Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Thoughts on Newton Running Shoes
caelric - 2009-06-10 3:58 PM
tri_d00d - 2009-06-10 12:19 PM
join the military and you'll get them for $99
or become a pro and you'll get them for mid $80s
just sayin'

Oh?  I didn't know they had a military discount, I bought mine at full price.  How do you get the discount?

Let Tory know you're military and you'll get the discount.  You have to order using your military email address.

Here's her info:

Tory Oakland

Director of Customer Service

Newton Running

[email protected]

303.413.3068 (office)

720.425.2090 (cell)

http://www.newtonrunning.com

Edited by tri_d00d 2009-06-11 12:56 PM

2009-06-11 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2210812

User image

Champion

bmcgee - 2009-06-11 12:48 PM
DerekL - 2009-06-11 12:21 PM

bmcgee - 2009-06-11 12:17 PM x2 on the marketing claims.  a reputable source told me that craig alexander doesn't like them (although they pay him well to wear them) and he actually shaves off those thingys (whatever they are) on the sole of the forefoot. 

Except there is a very clear picture of him at the finish line during his Kona win with the lugs clearly shown.

People say a lot of things that aren't true to suit their purposes.

yes they do...

Right.  I wasn't discounting what the first part of your post said.  Just pointing out that the second part is at least partially false.

2009-06-11 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2210860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
DerekL - 2009-06-11 1:00 PM

bmcgee - 2009-06-11 12:17 PM x2 on the marketing claims.  a reputable source told me that craig alexander doesn't like them (although they pay him well to wear them) and he actually shaves off those thingys (whatever they are) on the sole of the forefoot. 

Except there is a very clear picture of him at the finish line during his Kona win with the lugs clearly shown.

yes they do...

Right.  I wasn't discounting what the first part of your post said.  Just pointing out that the second part is at least partially false.

But it's true...a reputable source told me that he shaves them...

Where is that pic? 

Thanks,

B

Edited by bmcgee 2009-06-11 1:41 PM
2009-06-11 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2206774

User image

Master
Wilmington
I see a lot pro atheltes(boston Marathon) using Nike Lunar race shoes and a lot of  Top Ellte IronMan too,some even won the race with  Nike lunars on. They light and function similar as the Newtons and Half the price.
2009-06-11 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2210991

User image

Champion

bmcgee - 2009-06-11 1:31 PM

yes they do...

Where is that pic? 

Thanks,

B

Is the source more reputable than Crowie himself?  From his website:

“For a while now I have been aware of a rumor circulating that I in some way alter my Newton Running Shoes.
To be brutally honest, this is insulting to me on every level. What is being suggested is that I would promote a product to my fellow athletes and then not actually use it myself. I feel this is a massive attack on my integrity. The truth of the matter is, I ran in Newton running shoes by choice for 3 months before I signed on as a sponsored athlete with the company. And in fact, when I placed second on debut in Kona last year, I was not under contract to Newton Running. I have not trained or raced in anything else since the end of July last year.

The great thing about being a consumer is you get to try products and choose what you like. So anyone considering buying running shoes, I urge you to do exactly what I did, and that is to try everything that is available and then choose the best.
If you look at the post- race photos of me at the finish line last Saturday (click photo above to enlarge), you will notice that my shoes are in no way altered from their intended state. Also, the photos of my little post-race celebration, which I heard has also been misinterpreted, will show on close inspection that nothing has been done to the shoes.
Just to clarify, I took my shoes off at the finish line to beat out the flames because they were ” smokin’ hot” after having just run a 2:45 marathon.
If in the future, anyone out there feels the need to make an ill-informed opinion about any of my sponsorships, please feel free to contact me before you make a total and utter fool out of yourself. All you are actually doing is bringing myself and a great product and company into disrepute. Have some backbone and question my integrity in person rather than through an anonymous chat site.
The people starting these rumors need to pull their heads in. You are out there intentionally spreading lies and mis-truths. I’m not sure what your agenda is, but you should have a good look at your own motives and integrity.”

2009-06-11 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2211056

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
DerekL - 2009-06-11 1:46 PM

bmcgee - 2009-06-11 1:31 PM

yes they do...

Where is that pic? 

Thanks,

B

Is the source more reputable than Crowie himself?  From his website:

“For a while now I have been aware of a rumor circulating that I in some way alter my Newton Running Shoes.
To be brutally honest, this is insulting to me on every level. What is being suggested is that I would promote a product to my fellow athletes and then not actually use it myself. I feel this is a massive attack on my integrity. The truth of the matter is, I ran in Newton running shoes by choice for 3 months before I signed on as a sponsored athlete with the company. And in fact, when I placed second on debut in Kona last year, I was not under contract to Newton Running. I have not trained or raced in anything else since the end of July last year.

The great thing about being a consumer is you get to try products and choose what you like. So anyone considering buying running shoes, I urge you to do exactly what I did, and that is to try everything that is available and then choose the best.
If you look at the post- race photos of me at the finish line last Saturday (click photo above to enlarge), you will notice that my shoes are in no way altered from their intended state. Also, the photos of my little post-race celebration, which I heard has also been misinterpreted, will show on close inspection that nothing has been done to the shoes.
Just to clarify, I took my shoes off at the finish line to beat out the flames because they were ” smokin’ hot” after having just run a 2:45 marathon.
If in the future, anyone out there feels the need to make an ill-informed opinion about any of my sponsorships, please feel free to contact me before you make a total and utter fool out of yourself. All you are actually doing is bringing myself and a great product and company into disrepute. Have some backbone and question my integrity in person rather than through an anonymous chat site.
The people starting these rumors need to pull their heads in. You are out there intentionally spreading lies and mis-truths. I’m not sure what your agenda is, but you should have a good look at your own motives and integrity.”

Interesting...to be clear, I never said it was true that he alters them, just that it's true I was told thatSealed.  Pretty wild that he wrote an episode to dispell the rumors...wonder how those rumors got out there.  dude sounds mad!!  Also, this pic shoes them plainly as well...: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/BnUuEJ5VGbm/Geelong+Half+Ironman+Triathlon/8bkJyqyiNwE/Craig+Alexander

2009-06-11 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2211084

User image

Champion

bmcgee - 2009-06-11 1:52 PM
Interesting...to be clear, I never said it was true that he alters them, just that it's true I was told thatSealed.  Pretty wild that he wrote an episode to dispell the rumors...wonder how those rumors got out there.  dude sounds mad!!  Also, this pic shoes them plainly as well...: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/BnUuEJ5VGbm/Geelong+Half+Ironman+Triathlon/8bkJyqyiNwE/Craig+Alexander

No idea, but like you said, he sounds mad about it.  His response is the only reason I knew about it.

2009-06-14 2:35 PM

User image

Expert

Well, he won Boise 70.3 with those shoes. Looking at the photos of that race, it doesn't look like he has altered anything on the sole part of the shoe.

2009-06-14 6:03 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I am Newtons biggest fan.  I've been in them since 9/2007.  I am not a forefoot striker nor have they made me a forefoot striker.  I have been videoed in them and a neutral shoe.  I remain a midfoot striker and have bad pronation issues.  I also have had major injury issues.  My left foot hurt for 19 months prior to going into them.  My foot pain went away and my rate of injury has been drastically reduced.  Quite frankly I dont care if the make me run backwards as long as my foot doesn't hurt and my injuries are fewer.   I am also faster in them.  I honestly think they help people like me who struggle with runing and have biomechanical issue than people who could run fast if they were barefoot, wore the best running shoes on earth or stilletos.  Like anything they probably aren't for everyone but I love em.

2009-06-14 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2208692

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Daremo - 2009-06-10 6:44 PM I have a nice Bridge in Brooklyn that I'll sell to the highest Newton shoes owner!

And some really great land in Florida.

There is also this bottle of tonic I have that will cure everything and make you an even faster runner!

Gee Rick I bet if everyone did EXACTLY like you  then we would all be perfect athletes.  The bottom line is that not EVERY shoe/bike/program/nutrition works for EVERY person.  THese shoes DO WORK for some people LIKE ME and although they may not be a the right choice for everyone they are the right choice for some people.  try to have an open mind once in a while. 

2009-06-14 6:19 PM
in reply to: #2216762

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Socks - 2009-06-14 6:09 PM

Daremo - 2009-06-10 6:44 PM I have a nice Bridge in Brooklyn that I'll sell to the highest Newton shoes owner!

There is also this bottle of tonic I have that will cure everything and make you an even faster runner!

Gee Rick I bet if everyone did EXACTLY like you  then we would all be perfect athletes.  The bottom line is that not EVERY shoe/bike/program/nutrition works for EVERY person.  THese shoes DO WORK for some people LIKE ME and although they may not be a the right choice for everyone they are the right choice for some people.  try to have an open mind once in a while. 

Without a doubt, everyone's experience will be different with any running shoe. Like I mentioned, I can't seem to run long in Newtons or ZOOTS without a lot of leg fatigue. I think what the issue is with Newton's, and Rick was a tad too harsh, is their marketing claim that they promote a certain kind of running style which is more desirable and effective. I do feel that is a big marketing gimmick. As runners, we determine our running style. Forefoot striking isn't this panacea of all form issues, landing beneath your body is much more important. Newton's don't make you do that, no shoe does, you do! The lugs design system is interesting, but their claims as to their efficacy are a bit stretched, IMO.
BUT, if you wear 'em and like 'em and run fast and far in them, that's ALL that matters.

2009-06-14 6:25 PM
in reply to: #2216773

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

bryancd - 2009-06-14 7:19 PM
Socks - 2009-06-14 6:09 PM

Without a doubt, everyone's experience will be different with any running shoe. Like I mentioned, I can't seem to run long in Newtons or ZOOTS without a lot of leg fatigue. I think what the issue is with Newton's, and Rick was a tad too harsh, is their marketing claim that they promote a certain kind of running style which is more desirable and effective. I do feel that is a big marketing gimmick. As runners, we determine our running style. Forefoot striking isn't this panacea of all form issues, landing beneath your body is much more important. Newton's don't make you do that, no shoe does, you do! The lugs design system is interesting, but their claims as to their efficacy are a bit stretched, IMO. BUT, if you wear 'em and like 'em and run fast and far in them, that's ALL that matters.

thank you.  They DO NOT make me a forefoot runner (I have been videoed in them) but I don't care if I am faster and pain free.  I am 1-1.5 minutes per mile faster in them.  Probably won't happen for many people but they help me and I know a lot of people who like them.  THis is why we have vanilla AND chocolate

2009-06-14 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2216783

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Socks - 2009-06-14 7:25 PM

thank you.  They DO NOT make me a forefoot runner (I have been videoed in them) but I don't care if I am faster and pain free.  I am 1-1.5 minutes per mile faster in them.  Probably won't happen for many people but they help me and I know a lot of people who like them.  THis is why we have vanilla AND chocolate

Wow!  Really?  I'm not questioning your statement, obviously, but wow.  I can't figure out how ANY shoe would do that for me.  (My racing flats save me about 3-5s per mile over my regular trainers.)  What were you running in before -- flip flops?
2009-06-14 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2217031

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Experior - 2009-06-14 8:32 PM

Wow!  Really?  I'm not questioning your statement, obviously, but wow.  I can't figure out how ANY shoe would do that for me.  (My racing flats save me about 3-5s per mile over my regular trainers.)  What were you running in before -- flip flops?

Well.....just run training more and finding a shoe you can run in without discomfort is the more likely reason. The same results could have been achieved with another brand of shoe had they been tried. But the Newtons worked, so she moves on. No shoe will make you run that much faster all other factors being equal. Socks, I think you need to keep that in mind, saying it's the newtons, well that's as as much hyperbole as Ricks comment was.

Edited by bryancd 2009-06-14 8:45 PM
2009-06-14 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2217054

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
bryancd - 2009-06-14 9:44 PM

Well.....just run training more and finding a shoe you can run in without discomfort is the more likely reason. The same results could have been achieved with another brand of shoe had they been tried. But the Newtons worked, so she moves on. No shoe will make you run that much faster all other factors being equal. Socks, I think you need to keep that in mind, saying it's the newtons, well that's as as much hyperbole as Ricks comment was.

Thanks -- that makes sense.
2009-06-15 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2217060

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Experior - 2009-06-14 9:46 PM
bryancd - 2009-06-14 9:44 PM

Thanks -- that makes sense.

'

I actually have tried a few other brands of shoes without the same results.  Certainly the fact that I am relatively pain free in them is a huge factor.  Like I said they have NOT made me a forefoot runner.  Thing is I am SLOW even on my best day.  I have lots more room for improvement than most people.  All I am saying is They work for me, They may not work for everyone and I think its pretty ignorant to just completely say they do not work for anyone.  

2009-06-15 8:27 AM

User image

Expert

We've adopted such a cynical consumer attitude that we assume a clever marketing scheme automatically equals an inferior product. I do not own a pair, but it is obvious that most of the people that do wear them like running in them. I have read alot of great advice on here throughout the years to new runners, and never once did I read where someone said the best way to get faster is to buy shoes. That would be irresponsible. But I am reading that you should not buy this shoe soley based on the marketing. I think this is equally irresponsible.

Edited by crazylegs 2009-06-15 8:29 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on Newton Running Shoes Rss Feed  

of 2