GA Multi-Sports
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 33m 54s
Overall Rank = 98/232
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/34
Pre-race routine:

Typical. Wake up, drink coffee, do other wake-up stuff, eat PB&H waffles, drive to race course from hotel.
Event warmup:

Got transition set up and then went for a quick swim in the bathtub, I mean lake and then realized the air was now pretty cold once wet. Went and chatted with folks for a bit. Ready to go.
Swim
  • 27m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went towards the front of the pack since it was a time trial start, but could quickly feel people catching me. Something just wasn't right. Maybe the chop was throwing my stroke off, but I was lacking that pop on the pull. Rounded the first buoy and realized I had no idea where the next buoy was. This happened way to many times during the swim. I clearly need more practice in open water sighting. Made my way to the second turn and started heading to what I thought was the swim exit. Nope. Just something else on shore. Foggy goggles don't mix well with open water. Finally got back to the exit and looked at my watch. Kind of wish I didn't know after I did. Pretty deflated, I figured, just give a good effort on the bike and try not to get caught.
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Better than usual for me. Got out of the swim and happily still saw most of the bikes on the rack which was a good sign. Made me think the swim was long, so I stopped wallowing and grabbed my stuff and went.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Felt good about this
Bike
  • 1h 12m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.57 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first race with the PT, so it was useful and distracting all at the same time. I liked it for the downhills and flats, because I have found that just because I am going fast, doesn't mean I am pushing watts. I think I gained a minute or two just by keeping the power up on the down hills where I would usually "rest". I think I hit close to 34. I think with some more time, it will prove helpful. Pace was right near 21 which was the goal for this course.

Not sure. Don't think I pushed too hard and didn't let myself slack either. I think it was a good ride for what I had that day.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Again. Better than normal. Again, the rack was not full when I got back, so I was happy and it also makes for an easier T2.

Nothing. Just keep getting faster.
Run
  • 52m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Just faded too much. Ran out of Infinit earlier in the week, so my feed bottle on the bike wasn't the normal stuff. This surely caused the pukey feeling on the run. Still wish I could have just pushed through it and not been afraid to puke. Either way, it was a so-so run.

Remember to re-order nutrition before I run out. Duh. Also, just keep up the runs so I build the endurance to maintain a higher intensity for just a little bit longer.
Post race
Warm down:

Grab water and "fancy water" (activwater) and cheer the rest of the folks in. Stretch and sit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I believe it was a mix of nutrition and a lack of endurance. I also was not fully there mentally. That is a big one for me as I can normally convince myself of a lot; for the good or the bad.

Event comments:

Good GA multisport event - still wish that they would invest in just a couple more swim buoys. It always seems that regardless of the distance, there are the same number of buoys. Well done as usual though.

Last updated: 2009-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:31 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/34
Overall: 41/232
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 164.
Suit: De Soto bottom, NAMC Jersey top
Course: Point to point with 2? turns.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:29 | 24.85 miles | 20.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/34
Overall: 88/232
Performance: Good
Powertap had this at 25.22, but I will stick with the official distance.
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: More challenging than I remember. I like this course though. Some good rollers with a few interesting climbs. Nothing crazy either up or down.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:05 | 06.21 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/34
Overall: 120/232
Performance: Average
7:29, 7:42, 7:55, 8:29, 9:19, 8:40, 2:13. Hmm...did I start to fade. Happened last year too. Can't tell if it is that the endurance just isn't quite there, or if I push too hard at the beginning. I believe it is the former.
Course: Out and back across the dam. Dum, dum, duuuummmm. Not too bad this year as there was some cloud cover, so not as much of a scorcher. Still is a long tough stretch across that thing.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 7:40 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: West Point Lake Triathlon

2009-06-15 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2217604

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Subject: RE: West Point Lake Triathlon

Congrats on your race.  Nice race report.

2009-06-15 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2217862

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job on the race! I got lost last year on the swim too.
2009-06-15 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Nice race. Your so-so race is most peoples great race. So there's that.

One thing I have done, is stopped looking at my watch. I was tempted to look at about mile 4 of the run, but actually thought at the time that if I did, and it wasn't what I wanted, that I might pull back, even if I didn't consciously want to. I think once the will is gone, the push goes with it.

2009-06-15 8:04 PM

User image

Master
I would not worry about the swim.  That chop for a inland lake swim was retarded. 

Glad to see you out there. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Point Lake Triathlon Rss Feed