WTC
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 40m 14s
Overall Rank = 103/1924
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/288
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45AM and checked the radar to help my wife make the executive decision on whether to come or not. We have a 6 month old and spending a day at a 1/2 Ironman with possible rain (thunderstorms) is not the best sceanrio. The radar looked like a huge line was going to move through, so she decided to stay home. Got some things together and headed out to Lawrence. Ate a PB and Jelly sandwich and a bottle of accelerade.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warmup. Got to T2 and set up my run gear, took 3 bags down with me to T1 to set up the bike, I forgot some sandals so I walked barefoot for 1/2 mile to T1. My feet were a little sore when I got there. :) Once I got there, they were announcing that T1 would close in 3 minutes, while I didn't need much time to get my stuff set up, it did put a rushed feeling on it. I forgot my bike computer with my other stuff at T1, so I would have to go on HR alone, which is a good thing in reality.

Watched the pros take off and put the wetsuit on and just hung out with everyone till it was time to go.
Swim
  • 26m 27s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am not sure why they have the 35-39 men and the 30-34 men start as the last two swim waves, but it makes for a lot of passing of other people and I would imagine frustrating on their part too. I apologize to anyone that I accidently hit, I don't mean too, but when you get that many people in front of us, we are bound to run over some people.

As we were entering the water the announcer said our age group was the biggest out there today.
What would you do differently?:

Try and stay on the feet of the 1 guy that beat me in my age group. I could see him most of the time on the way to the turnaround, but lost him in the crowd of the earlier swim waves.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I did not like the T1 setup at all. Way too crowded and it is an old parking lot with lots of loose gravel and rocks. I think I stepped on about every one of them too. The bottom of my foot is bruised and cut a little from one of the rocks. Put some green turf down or something. .. .not a good setup.

Oh and since it was so crowded, you were at the mercy of the person in front of you as to how fast you could run out of T1.

Not much I could do, I figured I would be around 2 minutes on this transition, and I was.
Bike
  • 2h 26m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't have my bike computer so I had to calculate how fast I was going by time and the mile markers. I wanted to go 2 hours 30 minutes and wanted to keep the HR down. At mile 30 I could tell I was right on track and HR was where I wanted it to be. I passe a ton of people until the last 10 miles or so and then was out in the front with most of the age groupers. I got to see the PROs on the bike twice and that was cool to see.

I did this course about 1 minute faster than Redman and this was a tougher course, and more important my HR was down to where it should be on not bouncing in the 170s.

I was preparing myself for the run and kept going over my gameplan in my head. This helped to pass the time and also prepare my self mentally for the run.

Not much, maybe remember bike computer, but I don't think it hurt me to not have it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

It was easy to spot my stuff, and made it over to my spot. I noticed that there were not many bikes in yet, which is always a good thing. Threw the running socks and shoes on and hit the T2 exit.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 43m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Ahh. . .FINALLY!!!!! A Respectful run! This was my biggest worry coming into the race. . .I have worked a ton on my run and although I have done some sprints and I seem to be running faster, I wasn't tested at the longer distance. I did an Olympic two weeks ago and had a horrible run. So I needed to see what I was made of at this race. The plan was to try and hold 8 minute miles for as long as I could.

I put the forerunner 305 on my righ wrist so I could have instant pacing numbers (yes, I had two watches on). This was a big benefit, since sometimes I think I am "hurting" when in reality I am just feeling sorry for myslef. So now I could see what my pace was and my HR and knew that I had more in the tank that what I was using. The crowds were great there, and I heard my name called by all of my friends on the way out of T1.

I managed to have a strong pace to start off and it was around 7:45 or so. I felt good and knew that keeping my HR down on the bike was paying off on the run. I also had made many a deposit this past fall/winter/spring by putting in some bigger miles and now I was making the withdrawal. Keep in mind that while this might not be fast for some people, my stand alone Half Marathon time at the KC Half Marathon last fall is 1:39.52 . . . So the pace I was going/holding would put me around 1:45, when in reality I would have been happy with 1:50 or so. Mile after mile went by and I started to do the math in my head of projected finish time. I could tell that my pace slowed at about mile 9 and it was getting hot, but managed to push through and just tell myself, 4 more miles, 3 more miles, 2 more miles. . and that I had run that far hundreds of times in the past with no problem.

Making the turn for the finish chute was the best feeling in the world! I knew that I would break 4:45 and was pumped about that. I crossed the finish line and was tired, but not fall to the ground tired. . . which is what I wanted to experience. My run time was very good for me, and I finally held it together for the run!!

Nothing. . I did all I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around and talked with friends. I was going to get a massgage but never made it over to the tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing that I can think of. Still need to work on the run and I can get better on that. Maybe some more bike training too.

During the race, a Clearwater slot was in the back of my mind, but I lost count of how many 35-39 year old males passed me on the run. When I got done, I went over to results and it said that I was 15 in my age group with only 5 slots to be given out. . .well, I didn't stick around for Rolldown. . .in hindsight I should have. A friend of mine thinks it would have rolled down to me. . . Crap! Oh well, I will need to earn it somewhere else and this time not try to leave it up to Rolldown.

Event comments:

AWESOME RACE! Just fix the T1 fiasco.

Last updated: 2009-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:27 | 2112 yards | 01m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/288
Overall: 0/1924
Performance: Good
167/128
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: 1 loop, big rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:26:27 | 56 miles | 22.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/288
183/165
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 1 loop out and back with 2 turnarounds. It is a honest course that makes you think about how hard to push and to make sure you save some for the return trip.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:43:45 | 13.1 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/288
Avg 163
Course: 2 loops, out on the main road and then down to the water, then back up to the campsites. I liked the run course, no major hills, just the one coming out of the lake, but go to run downhill too, so it all evens out. The campsite loop was a bit long, but enough twists and turns that it went by quick enough.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: Ironman Kansas 70.3

2009-06-15 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2217927

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3

After my DNS, it lifts my spirits to see such a great race report Jared. Your hard work and consistancy in your training is really showing results in your races. Keep it up so I'll continue to be motivated not to let you outpace me too far over the horizon (and actually show up next time)  

2009-06-15 10:45 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Wow what an amazing race!!!! Yeah one of the age groups (can't remember which), they rolled down at least 10 spots it seemed because no one was there.

Congrats on such a great race! We've gotta meet one of these days..!

2009-06-15 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2218314

User image

Expert
Missouri
lisac957 - 2009-06-15 10:45 AM Wow what an amazing race!!!! Yeah one of the age groups (can't remember which), they rolled down at least 10 spots it seemed because no one was there.

Congrats on such a great race! We've gotta meet one of these days..!

Yeah, that was my age group. . I heard today that there were 4 slots after someone took one of them and then they said, ok, if you are in the Men's 35-39 age group, come up here we will verify your time and the next fastest 4 that want it got it.  Well, that either would have put me at number 5 or number 6 (just out of reach).  Moral of the story is, stick around because you never know. . . .    Oh well, life goes on I guess. 
2009-06-18 3:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Great job out there! I am really impressed by ALL of your times, but especially the swim! wow!!!
2009-06-18 3:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-06-19 9:34 AM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Congrats on a super fast race!! Can't wait to see how you kill it in your next races! Goodluck!
2009-06-19 4:34 PM

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Great Race.  See you in Louisville

"This was a big benefit, since sometimes I think I am
"hurting" when in reality I am just feeling sorry for myself."

I can relate to that.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Kansas 70.3 Rss Feed