United States
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 23s
Overall Rank = 50/483
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/80
Pre-race routine:

Went out for a run right when I got up (3:50am) to work out some jitters. About 10 minutes. Left the house around 4:30AM for the race. Followed a drunk driver the whole way. That was fun. Lots of cars with bikes out on the x-pressway but almost all were headed to Naperville.
Event warmup:

Got set up in transition - not at all happy with my location. Out of practice and forgot to do a couple things that probably cost me time (body glide my ankles for the wet suite and body glide the back of my bike shoes for slip on/out on the bike). Also sat and debated wearing a wetsuit. Took time and energy. Got out for about an 8 minute run warm up on the path.
Swim
  • 05m 44s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

Don't know if the wet suit helped or hurt given the amount of aqua jogging this year. I was warm when I got on the bike which helped.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. The wet suit is debatable.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

It was a ways from the swim out to my bike and then the bike out. Lots and lots of running. And my wetsuit got caught up on the timing device. It was a new device that I heard was in beta (testing). It was huge. I felt like I was on house arrest or on probation. I went to yank my leg out and fell right over in a weird side-ward dog push up position. Comical. Ran jumped on bike nicely done. Had a big problem getting into my shoes. I forgot to body glide the backs of both and really had a difficult time getting in. D'oh!
Bike
  • 41m 54s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 21.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I was slightly faster than last year but last year was windy and this year was ideal. So the course was playing fast. I did ok. Too many dudes blowing by me though.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

About as good as I could have done. I pulled out of my shoes too soon on the course. I thought I was closer to the end than I was. But overall there was nothing more in this transition that really could have been better. I may have been able to shave 5 seconds but thats it.
Run
  • 27m 58s
  • 4.1 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I was 11 seconds slower than last year. This was only my second brick of the year as well. Had a pretty good first mile (6:36). Was holding on for the rest. Didn't really wale on this like I hoped.
What would you do differently?:

Run faster, duh.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk/Run grab a banana talk to Dave-O and wait for Jen.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hate sweating. Its just plain gross. And stopping to chase squirrels in the park probably didn't help any either.

Last updated: 2009-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:44 | 400 meters | 01m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/80
Overall: 0/483
Performance: Average
Yeah I don't know about the distance. I did go out way to fast. My first 100 meters were full out (what was I thinking!). I was a total spaz.
Suit: wet suit
Course: Two 200 meter laps in a quarry. Either the the water level was low (how could that be with all the rain) or there was an over abundance of sand. The back side of the lap is near shore but in years past you could easily swim the whole thing and only have to get up for a few meters near zero depth to run and start your second lap. This year the back half was shallow. Ridiculously shallow. Had to aqua jog a ton which doesn't bode well for the HR.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:41:54 | 14.7 miles | 21.05 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Loop around Batavia countryside.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:58 | 04.1 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty much a semi loop out on a paved path along a river. I should know the names of all this but as far as I'm concerned Batavia is Iowa. I don't get out there but once a year.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il
Subject: Batavia Triathlon

2009-06-15 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2218713

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Batavia Triathlon

Nice race!  I had the same wetsuit ooops last week too.  And you're right.  That's what C races are for.  NICE WORK!!!!

2009-06-15 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Nice race out there Jonathan.  It was nice to see you and Jen...even if you forgot to mention me in your RR...ha!

I'm beginning to think it's on purpose....maybe next time, I'll just ignore you....

Edited by miami9296 2009-06-15 2:20 PM
2009-06-15 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
You chased squirrels in the park? Nice.

Great job on the race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Batavia Triathlon Rss Feed