Columbia Triathlon Association
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 57m 5s
Overall Rank = 273/1544
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 54/197
Pre-race routine:

This was a B race for me and just wanted to break 5hrs without putting a huge hole in my IM Canada training program.

Felt flat all week took the week off as a complete taper to try and recover from some brutal training weeks in Prep for IM Canada. Started to feel a bit better towards end of the week but the heat and Humidity in Maryland left me feeling pretty drained the whole weekend.

Race morning saw Bobby (Dream Chaser) in transition and had a good old fat chat about our bikes and also met Fred (PennState)

It also really sucks that they start the fastest wave (M35-39) almost last we were the 6th wave and that led to a huge amount of traffic on the bike and swim and the run during the hottest part of the day.
Event warmup:

Very little couple of trips to the porta potty.
Swim
  • 34m 23s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Bad, only been back swimming for two months after rotator cuff issue in Feb. My coaches approach to not swimming this winter hasn't worked for me. I usually swim 31/32mins and thought I might be able to miracle up some fitness quickly didn't happen. I was gassed in this swim. Looks like a winter of masters this offseason. I took a lot of blows on the swim I started right up the front. In the end the only reason I probably swum a 34 is because I swim so straight and hit all the buoys.
What would you do differently?:

Swim not get injured. I need to strengthen my shoulders. Some how this offseason I need to fit some weights into my porgram.
Transition 1
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

My transitions suck period.

Practice.
Bike
  • 2h 33m 45s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Average, 183 TSS points, IF .85 and NP of 232 with a VI of 1.02. I was expecting to complete the ride in 2.30, but nothing could prepare you for the wind at mile 30. I was averaging about 23.5mph then turned into the wind where it was like hitting a wall. I have never ridden in wind like this before my average speed was down to about 19.5mph and to top it off my Power meter offset started messing up (Been an issue for a couple of training rides lately) and telling me I was riding 260plus I would stop and reset it and then it would tell me I was riding 200watts and it felt like I was riding 240watts so it was -ve offsetting. I have 6 gaps in my power file where I stopped to reset my PT. I had no idea how hard I was riding given my unfamiliarity with riding on flats and wind and I couldn't rely on my Ptap. I am guessing I lost 3-5mins in this stretch of the course. Good news is I was feeling great on the bike I had a small bit of quad cramping but was managing that with salt pills. I ground it out low in my aerobars into the wind and only remember being passed by a couple of people from later waves. At mile 50 really picked up the effort as I realized I was going to leave myself too much to do on the run if I didn't ride hard.

A bit disappointed in the ride I was a bit lost on how to deal with the wind and due to the sheer number of people on the course my rhythm was interrupted a lot. Also given how slow my swim was I had no one to legally work with into the wind. I also suspect how fresh I felt getting off the bike my NPower was lower than the 232 (Which was my target) and the NP was inflated by my PTap being positive offset for significant chunks of the ride.

Good thing about the ride was my bike positioning is great and my position fitness. Felt no discomfort in the bars.

Nutrition was good at 200cals and hour topped up with a GU in the last 30mins

I have no flat rides where I live for Race prep I did ups and downs on a 4mile flattish road.

I would have pushed harder for the first 1.30hrs I should have been riding 25mph and using the wind to my advantage. I felt too fresh getting off the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Still not very good

Practice
Run
  • 1h 42m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Good - So I ran out of transition needing to run a 1:46 to go sub 5hrs which would require a 5' PB. By this stage the clouds had broken and it was brutally hot. New I had to run 8:05's and just settled into 7.55 pace ran well and new up to the turnaround point it sloped up hill slightly so I worked hard to get there made the turnaround point in 52.50. New I would need to go that or better on the way back ran hard through mile 8 to put some time in the bank was starting to really heat up at this stage and ran through to mile 10 and then dialled up the pace again from mile 10 to finish in 1:42 must have passed 5 guy's in my AG in the last 3 miles. If I had of needed to today I could have broken 1:40 have worked hard on the run this off-season.

Nutrition - 150cals infinit and hour and cola from mile 10. Worked well no bloating or upset stomach

Not much. well paced run I passed a lot of people and didn't get passed by many maybe less than 5 people in total.So far I have done two HIM's and a IM and have managed to -ve split all of the runs so far. My execution is there just need to work on getting stronger...
Post race
Warm down:

ART massage which was great

What limited your ability to perform faster:

was a B race all I aimed for was sub 5hrs and that is what I got. With a proper taper and decent race nutrition build up and a more positive attitude I could have gone probably around a 4:45hrs. I was tired both physically and mentally coming into the race and was on the defensive the whole time. I was guilty today of manufacturing a time instead of racing.

Event comments:

A very average organised race in my opninion having done 2 other IM races this would be at the bottom of that list.

Last updated: 2008-11-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:23 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 83/197
Overall: 0/1544
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Choppy, dirty water, jelly fish infested swim 8-)
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:04
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:33:45 | 56 miles | 21.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 57/197
Performance: Average
Norm Power 232, IF 0.853, TSS 183, 21.9mph.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Flat and windy did I mention windy
Road:  Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:42:55 | 13.1 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/197
Performance: Good
Hrate sat at 85% of LTH until mile 7 then it climbed to 90% and got up to about 92% for the last couple of miles.
Course: Out and back, stinking hot no shelter.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-16 4:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2009-06-16 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2222318

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-16 7:35 PM

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Nice race!

Racing tired can be odd.

Love how you can negative split the run on an ongoing basis.

Now focus can be on Canada. Looking forward to seeing you out in Penticton!
2009-06-16 8:22 PM

It was very cool and ironic that you, me, and Fred were all racked right across from one another in a line.  What are the chances! 

Great swim considering your shoulder in not 100% ; solid bike despite the PT problems ; and uber-fast run despite the heat.  You ran one helluva "B Race". 

CONGRATULATIONS on a Sub 5 70.3 PR   I hope to run into you at many more races for many years to come. 

2009-06-17 8:39 PM

Elite

Great race again, rough job on the PT.

2009-06-17 9:00 PM

Veteran
Arlington, VA

Nice job hitting your goal of sub-5 hours!  That wind was really tough after 30 miles.  Good luck with the rest of your training.

2009-06-19 1:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Nice race! Great job on breaking that 5 hr barrier!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed