General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Westminster, Maryland
United States
Joanna M. Nicolay Melanoma Foundation
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 24m 4s
Overall Rank = 36/263
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5am and got some food in me and left around 530 to drive to the course. Got to the venue and upacked my bike, set up my transition.
Event warmup:

Ha... what warm up. Rain started around 7am where I watched everyone else go off before me. (Note to self: Fudge my swim time a lot more next year to get out on the course earlier). Ended up seeing Joe, Rick, and Steve start the race and finish their swim. Hung out with James a bit and tired to not freeze.
Swim
  • 07m 11s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good swim felt good throughout with my pace. Tri suit slowed me down a little bit because of the drag. Guess I need to upgrade to a speed suit ;)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really I was pretty well pleased with my time
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Got out of the swim and into the transition well. Tried to control my breathing and focus on getting everything. On smaller races like this I need to carry all of my supplies already on the bike. I wasted a big chunk of time getting GU's and a stupid tire and tire lever in my pockets. Could have gone a lot faster. Put my shoes on before hopping on the bike which was good and bad because of the mud.

Not carry all that crap and put the shoes on the bike. This I hope to work on the next few times I go riding.
Bike
  • 45m 52s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Went out a little too hard on the bike in the beginning. The course gets harder as you go on with the hills so I was all happy I was crushing the course for the first half (avg'd 20ish). The second half came all of the hills and they really zapped the energy out of my legs.

Not go as hard? I'm really pleased with my bike overall time wise. I mean riding hills will make me stronger as we go on but I'm happy with my peformance
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

The end of the bike course you come up a driveway hill and my heart rate went sky high trying to maintain as much speed as possible into the end of the course. I ended up walking through the transition with my bike to try and bring my HR down realizing that I had the run to focus on

Get better off the bike and out of my shoes.
Run
  • 27m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out pretty well and controlled my breathing. I got to around mile 1 and my stomach started having some issues, so I stopped for about 20 seconds. Tried to keep a consistent pace and keep pushing knowing I'd kick it up on the turn around. Right around the turn around I took in some water and had side cramps. SIDE CRAMPS!! I didn't think I was going that fast to get side cramps?! Walked for about 20 more seconds and had a girl pass me. Figured she was putting down a good pace, so I paced with her. Rounding the turn to go up the driveway I put the hammer down and tried to crush it till the end. Crossed the finishline knowing I put all the effort I could have.

Run hills more (even though I've been running them for a while). Do more bricks. Plan on doing atleast 1 brick session a week. Need to get off the bike and run better.

But still not a bad pace 8:48 is a typical tempoish/easy run is for me
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and got a congrats from Rick, Joe, and Steve. Gathered all my stuff, got changed and headed back to Joes house for some breakfast (it was only 930am :) ) Came back around 11ish to get Joes overall win and to check the results. I come up the driveway to check the times and Rick tells me I got 3rd. Not believing him 100% I check and I got it! Got 3rd in my AG! Heck I was shooting for top 5 and would have been happy with that and my best goal would be top 3. And hell I got it!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

T1, T2, and side pains on the run

Event comments:

Great race and a wonderful time to come out and see some sandbaggers (Joe and Rick) and some first timers (Mir) all in the same place. The race has improved since I did it for the first time 3 years ago. Planning on becoming an "official" course and now have split times. Also it goes to a good cause which is always a plus.

Last updated: 2009-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:11 | 400 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 24/263
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit and short
Course: In pool swim with a casual walk across a timing mat, jog to your lane and start your swim. The end you must hop out of the pool and run 10 yards to T1
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:45:52 | 14 miles | 18.31 mile/hr
Overall: 34/263
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Semi rolling/hilly course. A lot of your speed you would lose going into any of the hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:17 | 03.11 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 64/263
Performance: Average
Course: Semi out and back course after a little detour. Semi hilly but much hillier than it looks
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 11:42 AM

Pro
yep,
Subject: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri

2009-06-22 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2234034

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri

Sandbagger?  Sheesh ......

Great result and congrats again on your first podium!!  It's awesome to be in the top of the field.

Ride more.  Bricks won't help your ability to transition from one sport to the next.  And you already know what the "feeling" is to go from one to another, so there is not a lot of benefit there.

Aiden kept saying "Where is the guy from the Greene Turtle?"  You've got an admirer. Tongue out

2009-06-22 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Great job CJ and congrats on 3rd in your Age Group!! 

Maybe the side cramps came from a funky breathing pattern after/while drinking the water? I know I get side cramps when my breathing is too shallow.

2009-06-22 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Nice Job,

See you there next year.
2009-06-22 9:28 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Great job CJ. It was exciting to see you get your first award. Your original goal was top 10 in your age group so I wonder who the real sandbagger is.  
That is weird about the side cramps. For that race I usually get my last fluids the last couple miles of the bike and don't touch anything on the run.
2009-06-23 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
CONGRATULATIONS!

That's so great you came in 3rd!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed