General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
MultiRace.com
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 10s
Overall Rank = 255/780
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/22
Pre-race routine:

Photobucket TRILOGY #1

This Event is part of the famous Mack Cycle Triathlon Trilogy Series...the most tough and competitive Sprints in South Florida and took place in Key Biscayne, Florida...Event organized for MultiRace.com and hold a Duathlon and Triathlon at the same time...with a total of 874 participants...94 for the Duathlon and 780 for the Triathlon...

Friday June 19th:
Went to pick-up our Race Packages at the bike store Mack Cycle in Miami...
My Buddy got the Bid#350/yellow cap...and...me, the Bid#349/blue cap...Finally other color than the usual Pinky cap...Yes...!!! LOL

Photobucket

After that we went to our favorite Italian Restaurant "Di Napoli" to get carbo load...We met there with our good girlfriend Andrea that was racing too, her husband and daughter...
Beside our dinner...we ordered a big Pizza to take with us for next day...Yummmmmmmmmy!!!

Friday June 20th:
Mandatory Day Off for us...Woke-up late...and...took a full breakfast:
Orange Juice, eggs, toasted bagel, with slices of turkey and brie on top and coffee w/milk...and...our usual package of multivitamins and minerals, Amino 1500, CQ O10 and Glucosamine...

Prepared/packed our Race stuff...Washed/lubed/tuned our bikes...and...prepared all our beverages for the Race and placed them at fridge and refrigerator....

At noon...we took lunch...some slices of Pizza and unsweet ice tea...
Took an 1 hour nap...

Early dinner...some slices of grilled flank steak and steam veggies...

Loaded bikes and our bags with Race stuff into the car at 7:30 pm...

Went to bed at 9:00 pm...ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

Sunday June 21st:
Woke-up at 5:15 am...Got dressed...took my usual Pre-Race brealfast: orange juice and my Super-Soy Protein Shake (chocolate) and off course the usual package of multivitamins and minerals, Amino 1500, CQ O10 and Glucosamine...

We did our body-marked by ourself to safe time...

Took our coolers with beverages and left from home at 5:50 am...It took us 45 minutes to get to Crandon Park...but...the line to get into park was very long and moving super-slowly...in the mid time...while we were in the line...I started to drink a bottle with a mix of water with PowerBar Endurance and Endurox R4

Parked car...took our bikes, bags and coolers and went directly to pick-up our timming chips...

Went to Transition Area...and...our Rack Area was the first one next to the Run Exit...Nice...!!!

Here some pics of Transition Area:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Racked bikes and did set up our Race stuff...first a green towel in front of my bike under the front wheel...over...my biking/running shoes, a bottle of frozen water and my belt with Bid# and a small ziploc with 2 Endurolytes inside my hat all wrapped...
Helmet over my seat and sunglasses over the handlebar...and...my Speedfil Hydration System with a mix of frozen water with PowerBar Endurance/Endurox R4 in it's cage...by the time of the bike would be melted with ices and cold...

Put my timming chip in my left ankle and took my swim cap, goggles, wax ear-plugs...a bottle of water, an Accel Gel (strawberry kiwi) and 2 Endurolytes and headed to the beach to the Swim Area...when I got there...the first Wave (Pro-Elite Male and Female and physical Challenges) were ready to take off...just in time at 7:28 am...and the Duathlon in a mass at 7:30 am...after that...the rest of the Waves every 5 minutes...

There were in total 9 Waves included the Duathlon...My Buddy was in the Wave#4 (Male 55+ and Male 40-44) and me, the Wave#8 (Female 40+, Female Fat Tire, Athena and Relays) almost the last one...at 8:00 am...
Event warmup:

Just when the Pro-Elites took off...I jumped into the water and swam maybe 50 mts and came back to shore...took my Accel Gel and the 2 Endurolytes with water...and...meet with my Buddy and some of our friends to chat...

Here are the 3 legs Course:

Photobucket
Swim
  • 08m 50s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Very dissapointed with the swimming leg...no with my swimming...but...the real problem was that I couldn't performe a good swimming not because of me...cuz...the beginning of our wave was the worse that I have had in my triathlon life...more than the usual kick and punch combat...there were too many people in our wave (All Female 40+, Athenas, Female Fat Tire and Relays)

It was like a pack of buffalos in stampede crossing a river...LOL..women jumping over others...others passing over...

Just when I jumped into the water and lifted my head...I had a bad feeling and decided to back off a little and when I saw the pack in front of me...It was a completly messy mass of heads, arms, elbows, legs and feet...WTH...???? all this mass till the first buoy...BTW...somebody smacked my nose with her arm at that point...then from the first bouy till the second...I was stuck behind a huge mass of slowly swimmers jammed all together...and...were all around me...it was too hard to pass them...and...it was finally at the second bouy 1/2 way to the Swim Exit when I finally pass them and I could start swimming with my usual constante pace...but...I lost many time dealing with the situation...and...costed me the 5th place of my AG...and...Podium...Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

What would you do differently?:

I think next time...I will need to be very aggresive...jumping and passing over women in that way I don't get stuck behind the slowers pack...

Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Fast Transition like usual...I was the fastest in my AG and 121st Overall of 780 participants...
Just out the water...I removed goggles, swim cap, wax ear-plugs and put them inside the swimming cap...
I needed to recover my time losing in the swimming...and ran as fast I could reaching and passing a lot of women...It was a long run in the soft white sand from the Swim Exit till Transition...maybe 1/4 mile....ufffff!!!!

Bike
  • 31m 58s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.77 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a nice bike ride...but going to the famous and the beast "Rickenbacker Bridge"...I could feel the headwinds coming from the west...but...then in our way back to Transition tailwinds...very nice...!!!
The 2 climbs went very well...no big deal...the second one more easy and fast than the first one cuz the winds...

But...unfortunate we had to deal with a shocking view in our bike leg... a very serious and bad accident with the leader of the Race...Miguel Tellez...a very well known Pro-Elite Triathlete from South Florida...

He crashed against a car in an intersection controlled by a police officer...WTH...How this happened???...I think this police officer screwed up...

And all the Pro-Elite Male Triathletes didn't continue and finish the Race cuz they stayed with him in support till the ambulance came and took him to the Hospital...Good Job Guys...!!!

Here is the news in the newspaper:
http://www.miamiherald.com/459/story/1107564.html

I was smocking in my bike coming downbridge very focused and after maybe 1/4 mile from the bridge...when suddenly I saw a red SUV in the middle of our way...and...I had to reduce speed and almost stop...to round the car...and...at this point I saw the bike laying down next to the left front side of the car...and...a pool of blood...apparently when he fell...he hit his head very bad...

Everybody that passed that point was in shock...at this point we didn't know who was the person that had the accident...till...we finished the Race...Very Scary!!!

You don't expect something like that in a Race with a closed road...and...intersections and entrances or exits controlled for the Police...

Very sad incident...but...I had to continue...and...only thinking and wondering "What happened...???" and very worried about the unfortunated rider...

Got to the desmount area...and...I did it like usual...like the Pro-Elites...but...keeping shoes on...jumped off the bike and ran very fast to Transition Area...

Train and train...
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Other fast transistion...the fastest in my AG and 79th Overall...
It was a long run till my Rack Area...cuz...this one was one of the last ones next to the Run Exit...
Changed shoes...and...I was thinking "I need to remove my helmet"...but...instead...took my hat and bottle with water...and...ran to the Exit...and...Damn!!! I was still with my helmet...took off and tossed it very hard in the way to my Rack Area...and...for my surprise...I found it just under my bike after the Race...Wuaooo!!!
Run
  • 25m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a nice run...but...You could feel the heat and humidity...supposedly...would be one of the hottest day in South Florida...around 95oF...and...supposedly the index point would be in 105oF....Uffffffff!!!!

Just out of Transition...in a good pace not too fast and not too slow...I took my belt with Bid# from my hat and buckled it...took the 2 Endurolytes from the ziploc with enough water and tossed the rest over my head, neck, and shoulders...and...started to push more harder...passing a lot of people and some women form my AG...

The first mile was nice...but...from the mile 1 to the mile 2...running in a paved path along the beach...it's when I started to feel the heat reflected from the sand...ufffffff!!!! I was only wishing to get at the water station at the mile 2...

Just in the water station...I took 2 cups and tossed over my head...and...one more...that...I did drink it...and...push more and more till...I got in the straight line that goes to the Finish Line where a sprinted very hard....BTW...My Buddy was there waiting for me...and...he started running and cheering me...."Go..Go...Sprint...You can do it"...It was great...cuz...motivated me to run more harder...

Train and train...
Post race
Warm down:

Just when I passed the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me bottle of water...other one removed my timming chip from my left ankle...and...went to meet with my Buddy at the Fun Water Kid Area...where all the traithletes cool off after the Race...

Here is the Pic..of...the best and favorite place of the triathletes...LOL

Photobucket

Then we went to the food area...got some slices of orange and a bagel...

We went to Transiton to collect/pack all our Race stuff...

Here in our Rack Area after the Race:

Photobucket

Took our bikes, bags and coolers to the car...and...went to the showers...to rinse very well with body soap...Nice...!!!

Went to check results and found out that I got 6th place in my AG 45-49 of 22 women...

We were 24 women in our AG but 2 were awarded out of the AG...one in the Female Overall and other in the Female Master....

41st Feamle Overall of 189 women...

255th Overall of 780 participants...

One women (Linda Robb) of my AG was 1st Female Overall and 10st Overall....She is the fastest women of all Florida and has been 1st Overall in our AG in the USAT National Rank....and...a good friend of mine Marylou Brunett got 3rd Female Master Overall....Good Job Marylou...!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The circunstances during the swimming leg...

Event comments:

Other excellent Event organized for

Photobucket

Last updated: 2009-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:50 | 400 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/22
Overall: 478/780
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:58 | 10 miles | 18.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/22
Overall: 346/780
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:34 | 03.11 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/22
Overall: 234/780
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 6:04 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1

2009-06-22 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2235364

User image

Key West
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1
Yo Velo,

Epic report!  I sent mine in earlier and, as a rookie, I know my place.  I love the photos and the irony.  We chatted before the race on this site and as it ends up, I was in the rack (389) next to you and both of your photos of the transition area show all of my crap at the left end of the station just beyond yours.  Yeah that is my bike "leaning" against the supports as upon my return there was no more room at the inn.  Maybe I can catch up with ya next month at Tril 2.

P.S. still looking forward to the local tour of the Miami Man bike route and you can look forward to a royal treatment in KW should you head south.
2009-06-22 9:25 PM

User image

Miami,FL
Velo!!! i went to look for you before the race in transition but i couldnt find you. I even saw your bike lol. I got stuck with slow swimmers too, dont worry i know next time you will do better. Hopefully i will finally get the USAT sticker next race lol!
2009-06-23 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2235783

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Yosel88 - 2009-06-22 10:25 PM Velo!!! i went to look for you before the race in transition but i couldnt find you. I even saw your bike lol. I got stuck with slow swimmers too, dont worry i know next time you will do better. Hopefully i will finally get the USAT sticker next race lol!

I was looking for you too..We were playing Hide and Seek...!!! LOL Sorry!! Well...Next time...Are you racing the 4th of July Race??

2009-06-23 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2235755

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

HeatmizerKW - 2009-06-22 10:14 PM Yo Velo,

Epic report!  I sent mine in earlier and, as a rookie, I know my place.  I love the photos and the irony.  We chatted before the race on this site and as it ends up, I was in the rack (389) next to you and both of your photos of the transition area show all of my crap at the left end of the station just beyond yours.  Yeah that is my bike "leaning" against the supports as upon my return there was no more room at the inn.  Maybe I can catch up with ya next month at Tril 2.

P.S. still looking forward to the local tour of the Miami Man bike route and you can look forward to a royal treatment in KW should you head south.

Hey...

I think that I missed you...LOL   Next time...!!!

2009-06-23 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2237073

User image

Miami,FL
velorider62 - 2009-06-23 12:38 PM

Yosel88 - 2009-06-22 10:25 PM Velo!!! i went to look for you before the race in transition but i couldnt find you. I even saw your bike lol. I got stuck with slow swimmers too, dont worry i know next time you will do better. Hopefully i will finally get the USAT sticker next race lol!

I was looking for you too..We were playing Hide and Seek...!!! LOL Sorry!! Well...Next time...Are you racing the 4th of July Race??

I have to work 4th of july agrrrrrrr lol. Trilogy number 2 i will definitely see you, this time i got there too late the line to get in was too long.

2009-06-23 12:13 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Nice job - that must have been horrifying to see that accident - and have they explained yet how this could happen??? I mean how could this happen on a closed course with a cop?????

wow

good on the pros for stopping.

and GREAT JOB as always - even with the swim melee!!!
2009-06-23 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
awesome race and report as usual Velo
2009-06-24 1:29 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Great race report! Well done recovering from the tough swim to put up great numbers. next time you will maybe be more aggressive but hopefully you wont have to be!

You are having a fantastic season, keep it up!

2009-06-24 8:34 AM

User image

Love the pics!  I could imagine how brutal the wind must've been with all that water exposure.

I hope that Pro is okay!  How scary. 

2009-06-24 1:11 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Thanks Guys for all your kind words and support....

And here more information about the accident during the Race:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-triathlon-crandonpark-robb-ssbjun22,0,3654316.column

And apparently was the Police Officier fault...he was not paying attention...not good...Yikes...!!!!

Also that night the people of MultiRace.com sent to everyone who raced that day an e-mail to give the good news about the Pro-Elite Miguel Tellez...He will be Ok:

Multirace.com Update

Dear Leonora,

As many of you know, Miguel Tellez, one of South Florida's best triathletes, was in an accident at today's race.  While initial reports seemed bleak, he is going home from the hospital today.  He has a cut on his left knee, a concussion, and some stitches in the head, but very minor considering that he crashed at over 40 mph!  Thanks for your concern and we hope to see him back at the races real soon!

Thanks for reading!
Sincerely,

Your Multirace.com Staff

Edited by velorider62 2009-06-24 1:20 PM

2009-06-24 3:20 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed