St. Petersburg, FL
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 28s
Overall Rank = 590/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 63/
Pre-race routine:

Thursday: Arrived in St. Petersburg purchased CO2 cartridges and gatorade for race. Didn't get a good night sleep.
Friday: Practice swim at the pier. First time in my wetsuit and the zipper pops! Doh!
Saturday: Practice swim at pier, I got the zipper fixed, but it pops again trying to get it zipped. I fix it again and have someone help me zip up. Look down and I have a little tear in the leg. My wetsuit isn't treating me well. I've never swam with it and it's brand new! Luckily that night I find a local vendor that is kind enough to patch the tear for free. Make it to dinner with my fellow KC folks (sorry I missed out on all the BT gatherings, sounds like it was a bunch of fun). Ate dinner at Carraba's, Shaved legs... in bed by 9:00pm. Slept pretty well
Event warmup:

Woke up at 4:00am, tried to eat but stomach wasn't cooperating. Could only get down an orange. While about to leave the hotel, I think through the things I need in my head... wetsuit - check, swim cap - check, goggles - where are my goggles. I go back to my room and grab them. I decide I better tighten them and then SNAP! The band breaks! Luckily, I have a brand new pair and grab them. Off to the race.
Get in line to get body marked, but have no idea what Renee looks like so I go to the closest person and get marked. Set up my transition and am chatting with fellow age-grouper - he's telling me about his ability to swim in the 1:30's per 100 meters... I tell him to wave as he passes me... cause at that speed he certainly will.
Get to Spa beach and don the wetsuit. Luckily, no mishaps this time. Mom and Dad are there to wish me well, along with fellow KC folks. Get in water and swim maybe 20 meters... that should do.
Swim
  • 30m 43s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim is definitely my worst leg. I had thought with my wetsuit that I would go around 27-28 minutes, my warmup swim on Saturday morning also gave me this impression. However, the swim seemed to be a bit rougher than previous years. Two years ago the water was perfect, last year the water got a little rough on the last leg of swim, but this year it seemed to be rough right at the start. As the 3rd overall wave to start (right behind the pro men and women), there were no age-group waves for me to catch. I remember being hit on the left side all the way out to the first turn. I had a hard time seeing the buoys because the sun was right on the horizon every time I looked up. Luckily, I lined up on the left side (right next to buoys), there were quite a few people who started on the right and since I breathe to the right I could look over and watch them swim. My sighting got a bit better once I made the first turn, but my swim performance was still a bit lackluster. I remember "hearing" a person in the wave after me swim past me. The dude was kicking so hard, I could feel the vibrations in the water even before he went past me. No idea why I didn't just latch onto him and draft. I gotta start doing that. :) Hit the swim exit steps and off to the transition.
What would you do differently?:

draft off of someone. sight a bit better
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Got to transition and had a new experience trying to transition with a wetsuit. Got the top half off, but when I got my left hand out of the sleeve, LiveStrong band popped off. I ran back about 15 feet to retrieve it... gotta wear it for my buddy. Sat down, put on socks, cycling shoes, sunglasses, then helmet... helmet goes on first though. Took off sunglasses and got helmet on, then sunglasses. Grabbed bike and off I went. Noticed the dude next to me talking about his fast swim wasn't in yet... about 30 seconds later there he was... tell him good luck and off I went.

practice transition out of wetsuit... helmet on before sunglasses.
Bike
  • 1h 08m
  • 40 kms
  • 35.29 km/hr
Comments:

I had my bike ready to go... in the gear right below the one I wanted to ride in... started off slow with high cadence. The first few waves were lucky, little to no wind (I hear the later waves had a lot of wind on the bike course. I had one stretch (with slight down hill and wind to my back) where I got up to 27 mph. I drank just enough and emptied my water bottle right at the end of the bike leg. End of bike leg has a stretch of cobblestone right before the transition area... seemed to me that I rode mostly alone, but when I slowed for the cobblestone I was enveloped by a group of riders... it was like a scene in the tour where there is a single rider off on a break away, but right at the end he gets caught by the peleton. No need for me to push it with less than 25 meters to go, so I let them pass me on the cobblestones and make sure I get off my bike safely. Almost slip on the pavement with my bike shoe cleats.

P.S. I passed a pro woman! Hell Yeah!!! :)

Nothing... happy with this leg... would like to get average speed up but given current conditioning and long term goal I'm happy with what I did.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I had a long run in my shoes to the bike rack. Racked bike, took off biking shoes and put on running shoes. I have Yanks (like speed laces) so I don't have to worry about knots. Grabbed running hat and number belt and off I went. I hear the announcer mention that we are at about 1:40 in the race, meaning if I run a 50 minute 10K I'll hit my 2:30 goal.

Learn to transition with feet on top of shoes (while still clipped in pedals)
Run
  • 49m 58s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m  min/km
Comments:

I started running and was maintaining a fairly good pace... after about 400 meters I was developing a side stitch. So slowed and tried to walk it off... it wasn't working. Not sure if I took in too much fluids near end of bike leg. I would combine walking and running. I used a fellow age-grouper to pace... once he caught up to me, I would run with him and then push a bit ahead until he caught me again. Kept doing this until side pain went away. Funny thing is, I know I'm going to finish at this stage and I have no idea where my time is. With side pain, I figure I'm not gonna make it, I'll come in somewhere around 55 minutes for the run. I do get to see all the pro men (and Greg Bennett) run by. All the pro women go by right after! Man they are fast! I finally start getting rid of side pain, but legs start acting up with hints of cramping... fellow competitors and even some of the volunteers are giving me crap for walking. :) I get shamed into not putting in my best effort, so off I go.

Work on nutrition, need to complete an event without walking on the run, still haven't done that yet. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do much to warm down... watched my fellow KC folks finish and then called it a day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This year I was a bit disappointed with my swim. I thought with the wetsuit I would definitely go faster, but conditions felt rougher and I had a false sense that I had gone faster (someone in the first transition said they were at 27 minutes). Had I gone my goal time of 28 minutes in the swim, I would have met my overall goal of 2:30. Though I suppose I could have sucked it up on the run and walked less. Turns out I went 50 minutes on the run, the time I thought I needed during the second transition.

Event comments:

This race is one of the best organized I've done... that's why I came back for the 5th year in a row. It will be interesting to see if it maintains the same level of excellence with a new race director next year. Thanks to all the volunteers and people who cheered me on. Sorry I missed out on all the BT festivities. See you next year.

Last updated: 2005-01-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:43 | 1500 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 88/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Predator 2
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:00 | 40 kms | 35.29 km/hr
Age Group: 49/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 115
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:58 | 10 kms | 04m  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-04-25 11:26 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas (Kansas City area)
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2005-04-26 7:06 AM
in reply to: #148092

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Great race.  Awesome times on the Bike and run and ovewrall.  see ya next year!!!! -SMO
2005-04-26 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Wow, you are fast!  Great times, particularly the bike and strong run.  You just smoked the course.
2005-04-26 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Holy $hit!!!!  It was you!!!!  You were the guy who was running then walking.  I was the fellow age grouper.  LOL!  We ran side by side the whole run!(Well...at least until you got rid of the side stitches. )  That's so freaking funny.  You were wearing the ORCA suit.  Way to take off.  I was very jealous when you disappeared for the last time.  I lost my pace car.  Congrats on the fine finish.  You crushed on the bike dude.  Way to go and congrats!

2005-04-26 10:16 AM

Master
Boston
That is freaking hilarious that you guys were next to each other and didn't know it. Oh man, that had me laughing! Very nice times you had there...I am quite jealous! And yes, the wind was hell by the time my wave got out to the course. And I agree the water was a little choppy. I will definitely be going next year also, so looking forward to meeting you then. Congrats on a great race performance! I'm so jealous you got to see the pros too- as I was leaving for the bike, I heard the announcer say Greg Bennett was finishing with a new course record. I was like what!? I'm not even halfway done with the course!
2005-04-26 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Wow! Great race man!

Killer bike, sweet run. Way to go! Sorry we didn't get to meet up, but it sounds like you got to see quite a bit of Jeff on the run! That's too funny!

I'll be back next year for sure, this was a great race, and a great time! We'll all have to make sure to meet up next year!

-Chris

2005-04-26 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

Great job! Iwish I could run that fast w/o a stitch in my side...

2005-04-26 11:04 PM
in reply to: #148180

User image

Regular
Kansas (Kansas City area)
Oh man Jeff... I had this weird feeling in my head when I read your race report... the part where you said "trying to get your running legs" - that sounded sooo familiar. Glad to have sort of met you and having someone to keep me going. Sometimes I just get really lazy when I get to the run. I will be there next year.

All - thanks for the messages.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed