United States
DeAxle Sports LLC
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 31s
Overall Rank = 19/135
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early,around 4:10. Heidi was tossing and turning all night due to horrific jet lag. Had a cup of coffee, at a banana and loaded up the truck. We got a little lost on the way down to the race, Google was off by an entire exit. We got a little stressed out but it all worked out. We ended up getting there and setting up with a few minutes to spare.
Event warmup:

Slapped on the shoes and did a quick run up the road and back, then jumped in the water and swam for a minute or two.
Swim
  • 11m 37s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not too much to say about the swim, other than it was absolutley horrible. At the end of the race brief the ref said. " the swim will start in about 5 minutes." About 3 minutes later, everyone is kinda mingling on the beach waiting to get into position, when all of the sudden, BANG! the gun goes off! No warning that I or my girlfriend heard at all. I scramble to get my goggles on and start my watch as I'm running for the water.
Once I get in the water and start moving I can't believe how rough the water is. It was so bad, I remember saying to myself, "when are they going to make this a duathlon?" I could only sight when I was on the wave peak. The swells must have been 3-6 feet.
Once I made the trun into shore I thought it would be easier. Boy was I wrong! The waves had an uncanny knack of breaking over me at the exact same cadence I was trying to breath. It seemed like every breath was met with a wall of foam in the face. One hit my so unexpectantly that I had to stand up and catch my breath as I puked out water (it was that shallow).
What would you do differently?:

Not swim this race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Not my best T1, but nothing went horribly wrong. It was a longish run from the swim timing mat to my bike, but not too bad. I was dragging a little from the beating the ocean gave me.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 33m 6s
  • 13 miles
  • 23.56 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a little trouble starting out. I couldn't seem to get my feet in my shoes and my legs felt dead. I didn't feel a headwind on the outbound leg, but I know I was working hard to maintain 19-20 MPH. Once I turned downwind I was able to pick up the speed.
My trouble in this entire race started right before the halfway point of the bike, I just didn't know it yet. I spotted a guy in an orange jersey from a local tri team that I thought I could pick off. I managed to pass him a little before the U-turn, but he turned tighter than me and got ahead of me again. That seemed to set the mood for the rest of the bike. We played tag all the way back in to transition. I would pass him and a few minutes later he would pass me. I don't know how careful he was about drafting, but I know I was. I noticed quite a few people blatently drafting and I remember telling myself, "keep your distance". Anyways, long stroy short, he ended up just ahead of me into transition.

Nothing, I had a pretty decent bike for me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Not too many problems here, had to pass a guy n the chute that was a much faster biker than a runner.

Nothing
Run
  • 19m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I managed to get out of T2 ahead of orange jersey guy. I started a little shaky, but got up to speed pretty quickly. I was a little worried that I gave too much on the bike playing tag, but I settled down. After the turn and a little ice water on the head, I was able to turn up the speed and started passing a few people.

Not my fastest run, but I ran strong. I think I balanced my run and bike the best yet at this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, walked to the truck and changed out of my soaked clothes while I waited on Heidi to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

I'm not really sure how to finish this race report. I'm still a little ticked, even after a couple of glasses of wine. I would have won my age group and placed 12th overall instead of 19th, but.....I got a penalty. Apparently the USAT ref thought the tag that orange jersey and I was playing on the bike, constituted an overtaking penalty. Both of us received a 2 minute penalty. The funny thing was, I never once saw the ref during the bike. Where was he and why didn't he say something?
The first time I realized I had a penalty was when I was looking at the race results printed out on the side of the trailer. As soon as I noticed it, I went looking for the ref. I had no idea why I got a penaly. He stated that it was an overtaking penalty, I didn't drop back far enough when passed. Same thing for the orange jersey, he got the same. The ref said, " I knew you didn't know the rule." ( I knew it, and I complied). I said, "I know the rule and I followed it. But I'm not going to argue with you." I just walked away at that point, no sense arguing. He was doing what he thought was right and arguing would have been pointless. The 2 minutes cost me first place, but what can you do?

Last updated: 2009-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:37 | 500 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 40/135
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Triangle, clockwise swim along the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:06 | 13 miles | 23.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 24/135
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat with quite a few turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:59 | 03.11 miles | 06m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 11/135
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back flat course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 1:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Firecracker Sprint Triathlon

2009-06-29 4:54 AM
in reply to: #2249315

Subject: RE: Firecracker Sprint Triathlon
Sorry about the penalty.  My wife heard you and the ref talking about it and it just seemed like such a BS thing to call out there, almost like he had a quota to fill with USAT.  Overall, the level of bike handling and awareness was very poor. Three or four guys kept passing me and then slowing up by at least 2mph. 
2009-06-29 1:17 PM

User image

Ft Bragg, North Carolina
Wow, That sucks. I saw the penalties and wondered what it was for. I thought drafting at first because I saw some folks that were close to drafting. I'm terrified of getting a penalty. 2 minutes is an eternity. I saw the ref on the back of a motorcycle out on the course. That's too bad. You had some great times.
2009-06-29 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Awwwww Mike, I'm sorry about the penalty but you still kicked butt and got 3rd!!!  I know it's hard not to "what if" but you still did AWESOME especially considering the swim conditions.  You rock and have earned the title "Resident Stud" for a reason!!!!!
2009-06-29 10:58 PM

User image

Hey, Mike, that really sucks about the penalty. I think you and the other guy were the only ones who got penalized. I know I only saw the ref once on the bike heading in the opposite direction as I was making a pass on another rider. I gotta agree with you about that swim. Glad you had a good bike (aside from the BS penalty) and run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Firecracker Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed