Waconia, Minnesota
United States
70F / 21C
Total Time = 1h 46m
Overall Rank = 94/350
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/40
Pre-race routine:

As always with close to home races... get there early, set up and head back to the car. Everything was good, wind was picking up as expected, it was 10° cooler than it had been all week. had my normal Bagel with peanut butter and waited for the start. They announced about 30 min. before the start that they would be shortening the swim due to lessons learned last year. at that point, I would guess we were seeing 1-2' chop. rough, but doable...
Event warmup:

A quick run and 2 out and backs in the water to get the timing of the waves somewhat down.
Swim
  • 07m 57s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

With the shortened course, and the waves, it made for some interesting navigation... easily 50% of the group was breast stroke or something that resembled that. Watching from the shore, plan was to stay left and out of that mess. After the first bouy rounding (where it was a typical short course traffic jam), I was swimming along and heard a police boat "chirp" as then headed in to pick up a swimmer that was calling it quits... with their direction and intent, I had to completely stop and almost pull back. Then I ended up having to swim out and around them. After that (maybe 20-30 sec. impact) it was smooth sailing...
What would you do differently?:

stay waider at the first turn bouy...
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s

Forgot to get my shoulders off on my lower wetsuit... slowed me down a few seconds...
Bike
  • 1h 00m 5s
  • 20 miles
  • 19.97 mile/hr
Comments:

This one was fun... with the wind, through mile 10, I was only at a 17.6 amph... my 808's made it fun to say the least. Nice to be in a race that I actually pass people on the bike. Had one issue with an individual that had problems understanding the position rules, but fortunately, the officials were right behind us and sure enough, looking at the penalty's, he got nailed... first time in any race where I have seen that!

I knew I needed to push hard on the way out (into the wind), but I don't think I understood how hard to push. I could have gone harder and possibly cut another minute off my bike time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

So... I hop off the bike, and take about 5 steps and there is a loud "POW" from the back of my bike and the rear wheel stops spinning... so I am dragging my bike and end up having to pick it up and run with it to the bike rack. Didn't take the time to look to see what happened at the time, but ended up that a spoke had sheared off and thus the wheel going out of true.

Not have a spoke/nipple blowout...
Run
  • 34m 51s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Took me a little over a mile to get my stride going. However, for me, this was a great run... good time on a slightly more difficult course. on the hills, I kept my head down, shortened my strides and let my legs push me up! Down hill, I opened up and let the legs run it out...

Not sure if I need to push a bit harder in the beginning to get the legs running or if this is just my lot in life... need to do some simulations in my brick workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing more than water intake and water. Headed to my bike pretty quickly to see the damage. I had some bad thoughts in my head! Can't afford a new wheel right now!? Luckily, it was just the spoke issue!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Understanding what makes my good runs good and bad runs bad. I have enough miles in, but still need to learn. Nothing now till Lifetime, but I will be pushing to see if I can nail that one this year!

Event comments:

Overall a great race... I will be commenting on my Garmin 310xt performance in the other forums. Training... it's working wonders, but it has failed twice now in races... :( (notice I have no additional lap data available!?)

Last updated: 2009-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:57 | 440 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/40
Overall: 35/350
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto T1
Course: Out over and back...
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:00:05 | 20 miles | 19.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/40
Overall: 87/350
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: loop course around Lake Waconia
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:51 | 04 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/40
Overall: 186/350
Performance: Good
Course: out and back with a couple hills put in for fun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1.1
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Subject: Lake Waconia Triathlon

2009-06-29 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2249912

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Lake Waconia Triathlon

Yipe!  I"m glad your spoke didn't go while you were riding.  That could have been bad.  Good job with the tough conditions, though.  Good luck at Lifetime.

2009-06-29 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2249997

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Nice race!  We had very similar swims, I had a better T1, you had a better bike an T2 (wow - balzing at 1:05!), and I had a better run....all in all we finished less than 2 min apart and only 18 places.  Way to go!  Sorry about your spoke btw.
2009-06-29 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2250944

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
ejshowers - 2009-06-29 2:32 PM Nice race!  We had very similar swims, I had a better T1, you had a better bike an T2 (wow - balzing at 1:05!), and I had a better run....all in all we finished less than 2 min apart and only 18 places.  Way to go!  Sorry about your spoke btw.

Yep... running through T2 with a bike in the air certainly had some people wondering... but better there than out on the ride!!! 

Should have my wheel back by Weds!!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Waconia Triathlon Rss Feed