General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Tawas Triathlon Festival - HIM : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-09-10 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2249918

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: Tawas Triathlon Festival - HIM : Official Thread

Good luck to everyone this weekend - hope everybody reaches their goals!  It should be a fun weekend and hope to meet some of you - I will be in a red LG top and probably a Zipp Visor.

I am getting in friday evening about dinner time and then heading to PPU.  I will probably taka a quick tour of the run route but the bike route will remain a mystery until race day I guess.

Ryan

2009-09-13 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
So what did you all think?

I loved the bike and swim but was not a fan of the run. Hated the out and back out and back crap and that 90% of it the sun was just beating down on me.
My race fell apart at mile 3 of the run I could not run more then 100 feet without getting dizzy so it went from a 10 minute mile to a 14 minute mile of run 100 feet walk 100 feet.

As of now I'm signing up and doing this one again next year, just lighter, stronger and faster.
2009-09-13 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2403255

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I loved the swim and the bike was alot more challenging than I thought it would be - definitely underestimated that portion.  I should have driven the course before so I would know what to expect.  I pushed the bike a little to hard and paid for it on the run course.  I thought the run course was a little disappointing as well - I do not mind 2 loop courses - the area is so beautiful I thought they could come up with something better than that - even an out and back on Monument would have been better.  Also was surprised there was not an aid station at the Turnaround - we went about 2.5 miles without an aid station which about killed me!!  I struggled through the run big time but overall I thought the venue was great and Tawas was great.  I will probably not do this race next year but possibly sometime in the future.  I ended up well but my run time was 10 minutes slower than I was targeting - did not pace the bike very well.  I am definitely ready for a break to recharge the batteries....long season for me.

Ryan

2009-09-13 5:30 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Wish I could've met you guys and your fam's beforehand.  I really enjoyed the race and all ready signed up for the HIM next year and the wife is convinced she'll do the Oly instead of the Sprint next year.  We camped in the city campground and enjoyed the convience.

If you guys didn't know the half run course was over .75 miles off, and I mean as in long!  I had 13.86, and went over the course this morning with two Garmins and came up with 13.89 and 13.92.  Kenny from 3D was an arse hole when I asked him at the after party last night and said he confirmed it four times with his Garmin 410.

The run course was lame indeed, but worked well for what I need for the full iron at B2B.  I think I was more pissed that there weren't officicals on the course, as I witnessed a huge arse pace line and other blatent drafting issues. 

Enjoy your time off, I got 8 more weeks of work to do

2009-09-13 5:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
Oh you seen that pace line of like 8 bikes too. Yeah that was cool.
I can't say to much though I did a few miles of drafting myself. Only because I could stay with her but did not have the power to pull past and keep it.

Kenny does seem to be a little bit of an arrogant azz.
I do plan to send an email to him telling him all my thoughts on the race.

Being that I fell apart and ended up over 7 hours I did not get a medal, they were out of them so I should be getting one in the mail in a few weeks. Or so I was told.
What was the medal for the HIM?
Don't tell me it was the same crappy one my wife got for the sprint.
If it is I am going to be PISSED that I worked my arse off for 7 damn hours to get the same thing as if I had done a sprint.

I had drove the bike route the day before so I knew what it was like. Although I could not tell in my car that the first 6 miles was up hill. Oh well I made up for the slow start with a good finish on the bike. The 2 bigger hills did not seem that bad. the longer one on river road slowed me down but I stayed in the double digits, the one coming back up from the damn was not so nice bit it was a short one. So it made me work but still not that bad.

Edited by fsr402 2009-09-13 5:49 PM
2009-09-13 5:56 PM
in reply to: #2403604

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

rottieguy - 2009-09-13 6:30 PM

Wish I could've met you guys and your fam's beforehand.  I really enjoyed the race and all ready signed up for the HIM next year and the wife is convinced she'll do the Oly instead of the Sprint next year.  We camped in the city campground and enjoyed the convience.

If you guys didn't know the half run course was over .75 miles off, and I mean as in long!  I had 13.86, and went over the course this morning with two Garmins and came up with 13.89 and 13.92.  Kenny from 3D was an arse hole when I asked him at the after party last night and said he confirmed it four times with his Garmin 410.

The run course was lame indeed, but worked well for what I need for the full iron at B2B.  I think I was more pissed that there weren't officicals on the course, as I witnessed a huge arse pace line and other blatent drafting issues. 

Enjoy your time off, I got 8 more weeks of work to do

I spoke to someone who had their Garmin and got a 13.8-9 reading too.  If you look at the times for the 1/2, they are all unusually slow. 

I was disappointed in the run course.  Too much sun, gravel roads,  uneven grass, and that time between the aid station at the turnaround took a toll on me.  I probably won't do the 1/2 again but will consider one of the shorter distances.

2009-09-13 6:51 PM

Yea i thought there was something wrong with the run couse. My watch doesnt tell me the distance i ran but i was just going off of what they had marked on the course and was averaging about 730 per mile up to mile 4 then from mile 4 to 5 my watch had me at just under 10 min for that mile and i know i didnt slow down. But if the run was really 13.86 that means i ran at a 7:36 pace compared to steelhead where i ran 8:35s. I can definitley believe that i ran that cuz i can barley move my legs at all today i have never been this sore in my life lol. Also i think the swim course was longer too. My swim was more than 5 minutes slower then i did at steelhead last month. I was kinda mad cuz my goal was to go under five hours and if the swim and run were the right distance i would have. Even though the distances were kinda screwed up ill still probably do it again next year. And fsr402 im not 100 percent positive but i think the medals for all the races were the same just from what i saw on other people when i finished because i was wondering the same thing the medal i got just said tawas triathlon finisher i thought it should have at least said half ironman finisher or something.
2009-09-13 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

fsr, if you want mine I'll be more then happy to send it your way.  PM me your address and I'll send it your way.  I highly doubt if you'll ever get it from 3D.  My wifes sprint and my HIM are exactly the same.  I don't tend to hold onto medals so if it means more to you then me it's yours!

Danny when you swam at Steelhead you guys may have had a breeze pushing the current from the south.  They set that swim up so the current favors the swimmer, thus the two different start spots depending on current.  I read some race reports this year that stated the swim was fast due to the current.  They've been doing that race for awhile now, so I doubt it was short by much.

With the effort I put out on the swim and taking my wetsuit off in the water for a quick rinse off before exiting the water, I actually think the HIM swim may have been pretty close, thou I normally find 3D swims long.  I think Karens sprint was long as we swam part of the course on Friday and it seemed long.

Next year I'll be going up on Thursday to camp in the city park and hopefully we'll have some type of Wifi to send out messages or exchange numbers beforehand.  I met up with two other BT'ers I knew from before, but was disappointed that I didn't exchange numbers with the rest of you.  My weeks have been real busy of late.  I won't let it happen again next year.

2009-09-13 10:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
The medal only means something to me because it was my first half, other then that it will just get lost in my marathon and 25K medals I already have hanging over my desk.
I'll wait and see if 3D comes thru.
One of the things I will tell them in my email is to get better medals. At least for the half racers. That's a big race and all the others that I have seen have nice medals that say what you did. If you got a crappy stick-on medal at your full would you be a little ticked?

I too swam on Friday with my wife, I think it was around 1:00pm There was a guy and his wife coming into the water as we were coming out and I talked to them a little. I think he was doing the half and she the sprint. I wonder if that was you.

I think you're right the sprint swim was long. My 500m time is around 8-9 minutes but I think I was like 12-13 when I swam it Friday. My time for the 1.2 was longer then what I would normally be but I think it had more to do with the long wade out and back in.
2009-09-14 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2404232

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

fsr402 - 2009-09-13 11:32 PM   I too swam on Friday with my wife, I think it was around 1:00pm There was a guy and his wife coming into the water as we were coming out and I talked to them a little. I think he was doing the half and she the sprint. I wonder if that was you.  

We were there around that time and may have talked to the same couple as we spoke with a couple when we were leaving, but didn't run across anyone when we went into the water.

And if anyone else out there had similar Garmin readings on the run please pester Kenny with an email.  Apparently I'm the only one that complained and his latest email still makes it sound like there course was correct, checked and double checked.  I know we all have to do the same course I just like it when the course is measured a little closer to the advertised distances.  The extra minutes could be the difference someone is looking for when attempting a PR.

[email protected]

2009-09-14 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I agree about the course with you guys. The swim and bike were great, but the run, not so much

2009-09-14 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
I did not use my Garmin for the race. I race better when I don't so I can't help there.
But I did note that they had the half turn around marked on the road but kind of crossed it out and put it farther out. Maybe the first marking was right.
2009-09-18 1:42 PM

User image

New user

agree on the run course. i expected better results. many athletes i talked to thought the run was longer. also compared the 2008 results with 2009 results of three athletes and they all run longer by 10-15 minutes that supports the idea that the course was longer...
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Tawas Triathlon Festival - HIM : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3