General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Tawas Triathlon Festival - HIM : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-06-29 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Tawas Triathlon Festival - HIM : Official Thread

How's the training going so far everyone? I am really looking forward to this race, I used to live in Oscoda which is close by. I am coming up from near St Louis.

Maybe we should try and meet up before the race. I will be camping with my family for 3-4 days up there.

2009-06-29 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2249918

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Tawas Triathlon Festival - HIM : Official Thread

I'm using it for my IM preperation and looking forward to doing the race.

Were talking about camping right at the city campground near the start of the race.  Where are you camping at?

We'll actually be staying at the state park in a few weeks to hit the bike course and just get a good feel for the area.  We travel through the area but haven't stayed in Tawas.

2009-06-29 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I am tentatively planning on it.  I have Spirit of Racine HIM in July and want to see how that goes and the recovery afterward before I pull the trigger on this.

The bike course sounds like a great ride - be sure to tell us how it is rottie when you get back.

Ryan

2009-06-29 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2250783

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Ryan I rode some roades in the area last summer when I camped north of Oscoda in Harrisville and found alot of very good roads in the general area with light traffic and have heard the roads are pretty decent from other racers.  I'll post an update later in July when we return on any pertinent info.

2009-06-29 10:10 PM
in reply to: #2249971

User image

Extreme Veteran
rottieguy - 2009-06-29 10:19 AM

I'm using it for my IM preperation and looking forward to doing the race.

Were talking about camping right at the city campground near the start of the race.  Where are you camping at?

We'll actually be staying at the state park in a few weeks to hit the bike course and just get a good feel for the area.  We travel through the area but haven't stayed in Tawas.

I am not sure exactly, I know there are loads of campgrounds in the area, my family and I used to live up there and we try to go camping up there every year. Oscoda has some nice campgrounds, like Old Orchard Park, but the National Forest is good too. We may just end up camping at the city campground for the purpose of convenience.

I really look forward to the beach party afterwards, I love Lake Huron at night. We still have a little while til the race, so plans might change, but I'll keep it updated here. It would be cool to meet other BTer's, I have never met any in real life.
2009-07-25 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Just returned from a little camping adventure along Lake Huron.  While in Tawas I rode most of the bike course on a couple of occasions.  I couldn't tell from the map I had where it went through town there were some rough streets the rest of the route isn't to bad.  There are a few hills but nothing super tough.  The first climb is about 4 miles out of town, then the road surface changes and there are some divots in the road, not big pot holes by any means but still something to keep an eye on, there mainly along the white line.  Easy enough to avoid.  There isn't much to look at but road and pine trees out here.  I didn't ride the entire route down River Rd, but from the few miles I did do it was nice.  The spur that heads off River Rd towards the damn has a couple of good hills, which had some sand and loose rock in the curves on the downhills, care will be needed but provided you don't have to avoid anyone you should be able to fly down here, but then you gotta climb back out.  Enjoy the views along this section as it was real nice and breaks up the monotony of the trees.  Traffic was pretty light on the roads for the most part.

The swim looks to be shallow and was rough the day we had an east or maybe it was SE wind otherwise when I swung by there with the strong NW winds the water was pretty calm and very swimable.

The run is just along a path with plenty of decent views, but also plenty of driveways in some spots where there are cottages and homes, but should be nice.

The city campground appeared to be a trailer park for seasonal campers.  I didn't stop in the office to ask as I was normally sweaty and stinky while in the area, but will call them sometime to ask about openings come Sept.  I didn't see an open site on my travels through, the state park is only 5 miles away and probably the next closest option for campers.

There of course is the race hotel which looked fine, or plenty of other small cabins or small motels in the area.

Parking is limited in the area right around the transition area, but there is plenty of free parking in East Tawas just a block or so off of US23 and easy walking distance.

Edited by rottieguy 2009-07-25 10:34 AM

2009-07-25 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the information. I know the roads up there are actually pretty nice compared to southeast Michigan lol. With race day, I think traffic will be lighter and it will be easier to not have to hug the shoulder. I need to get more hill training for cycling, I mapped out the entire tri route, it is saved on my routes if anyone wants to look. The bike has almost 1900 feet of climbing over 56 miles, and I rode 57.6 miles yesterday in just under 3 hours. The course I rode was way flatter though, so I need to get a hillier route.

Take care and good luck in training!
2009-08-07 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
My training has been going well, missed a bunch of workouts but I feel I'll be fine. Hell I did a full marathon on 10 mpw and a long run of 14. lol
a few months ago I did a 65 mile ride that only had 2 miles of flat, it was just one hill after another. I was not happy about that and I'm happy to know that this is not like that. Really 1900 feet over that far is not bad the raods near my cabin has over 800 feet just in the first 4 miles.

I will be staying at the host hotel and hope to meet up with some of you. Will be staying there from the 9th - the 13th. So I plan to swim and run and bike some of the course. Will drive the bike route a few times too.
2009-08-07 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Thanks for the update Rottie.
 I too know the area fairly well and agree that the roads should be in pretty good condition compared to what I am used to in my neck of the woods.  The road through town that we will take is usually one of the better maintained in town.
The swim should be calm as long as we don't have a strong east wind. That really churns up the bay.  If the wind is in any other direction we'll be fine. 
I'll be staying with relatives for a long weekend, but would love to try to hang out with you guys before or after the race. Can't wait!
2009-08-11 11:32 AM

Just signed up for this race. I did steelhead two weeks ago that was my first HIM. Have any of you guys done both? I was wondering how these two compared in difficulty. Steelhead was a very flat course. Also where is everyone staying at? Everything was pretty much booked for that weekend I got into the Tawas Bay Beach resort but got stuck in a smoking room which sucks. But i guess the hotel is right across from transition.

2009-08-11 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
There is a lot of places open you have to call them, the websites are not right. At least that's what I have found.
I'm staying at the host hotel also but had to pay twice what I could have got one of the triathlon rooms would have been because the wife would not do double beds. grrr.

2009-08-12 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
I have a quick question regarding the aid station on the bike route.
Anyone know if there will be a bottle swap at this station? If so will it be real bike bottles (the ones that fit into a bike's bottle holder) or is it just store bought bottles of water and Gatorade?

I'm just trying to lock down my nutrition plan and this will make a big difference for me.
2009-08-23 9:01 PM

Anyone know how many people are going to be in the half? Looking at last years results there was only 60 people in the race hopefully there will be a lot more then that
2009-08-24 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2365602

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

Danny55567 - 2009-08-23 10:01 PM Anyone know how many people are going to be in the half? Looking at last years results there was only 60 people in the race hopefully there will be a lot more then that

I wondered this too.  I signed up last week and was curious if I would have any company in the BOP since the friends I'm going with are AG contenders.  Although, if there are only 60, then nearly everyone will be a contender.

2009-08-24 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2365602

User image

Extreme Veteran
Danny55567 - 2009-08-23 9:01 PM Anyone know how many people are going to be in the half? Looking at last years results there was only 60 people in the race hopefully there will be a lot more then that

I wouldn't worry about the lack of participants this year. This is my 4th or 5th race with 3disciplines, and they always manage great races. They sent me an email earlier with this update:

This event is approaching 400 athletes registered from 12 states.  Dozens of athletes saying it is their favorite course. Many hotels are sold out, please see website for additional options, the resorts on the water are execellent options. 

Due to the race doubling in size, bike, run, transition area, and the finish line will be west of 23 this year literally right downtown. So after finishing your swim you will cross 23 entering the transition area right downtown East Tawas.  Brand new very cool run course winding you through the residential streets of East Tawas before an excellent finish right downtown among all the quaint shops and stores. This was our year 3 or 4 buildout projection for the event and you made it happen in year 2. This will prove to be a great improvement to an obvious exellent event and venue.  So now everything will be located right downtown. 

Gear bags and water bottles to everyone pre-registered and a great long sleeve tech shirt, weather permitting a huge beach bash with awards and raffle valuing over $2000. With a half Ironman distance event, Olympic and sprint events there is something for everyone just a short 2-3 hours from the metro Detroit area.

So it seems like a lot more than 60, but the "close to 400" means the OLY and sprint distance races as well. So I imagine somewhere around 100. Personally, I don't care, I just want to go under 5:30 and have a great race. I have been training pretty hard for this one. Oh, and I will probably be camping, or if the weather is bad, I will be in a hotel or cottage in Oscoda or something.
2009-08-25 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
I will be BOP. Should be up front on the swim but not for long after that. Figuring aroung 16-17mph on the bike and 11 minute miles on the run. Just want to finish under 7 hours.

2009-08-26 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2369362

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

fsr402 - 2009-08-25 12:39 PM I will be BOP. Should be up front on the swim but not for long after that. Figuring aroung 16-17mph on the bike and 11 minute miles on the run. Just want to finish under 7 hours.

That's pretty much my goal, except I'm a mid to BOP swimmer.

In Steelhead I finished 7:04 - so I know under 7 is doable for me.

Edited by emd9702 2009-08-26 11:34 AM
2009-08-28 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2371820

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
emd9702 - 2009-08-26 11:33 AM

fsr402 - 2009-08-25 12:39 PM I will be BOP. Should be up front on the swim but not for long after that. Figuring aroung 16-17mph on the bike and 11 minute miles on the run. Just want to finish under 7 hours.

That's pretty much my goal, except I'm a mid to BOP swimmer.

In Steelhead I finished 7:04 - so I know under 7 is doable for me.

Yeah I "think" I'll be up front. The sprints I have done this year I have been coming out of the water top 15 or less but that's 1/2 mile swims so who knows how much I'll fade in the 2nd half.
Not really worried about it. Making the cutoff time for the bike is my only worry. If we have hard winds (most likely out of the west) the first half of the bike is going to be hard.
2009-08-28 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2375954

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yeah, the winds might be a concern. The roads are pretty tree lined up there, so unless we get a direct westerly or northwestly component parallel to the road, we ought to be good. But, the trees also might channel the winds into the roads, making it worse.

The weather is the deciding factor for my finishing time. Too cold and I might go too slow, the morning will suck because it will be like 52-55 degrees or so, and it might be 65 by the time we finish.

2009-08-28 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
I just rented a wetsuit for the wife (she's doing the sprint). Here's to hopping the weather is nice.
2009-08-30 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
This link has a "blog" about the HIM bike course, it is a very informative read. The course isn't sounding too bad to me anymore lol. Less than 2 weeks to go!

http://coachtimj.com

Edited by Atlas_Shrugged 2009-08-30 12:58 PM

2009-08-30 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Kinda of a confusing read, we must have rode different courses.  I can guarantee you that you'll be going up when you leave town on Monument, there's an area that descends around 8 or 9 miles but otherwise it's up.  Kinda of hard not to when you leave the shores of Lake Huron and end up a couple hundred feet above the AuSable river at the Lumbermans Monument.  Mapmyride shows the elevation graph pretty good and a 325 foot gain along Monument.

And as mentioned in my previous post there are some divots along the white line and some in the lane on Monument after going up the first decent hill around mile 4, you can't miss the change in the pavement.  But overall it is in good condition but I surely don't want to be hitting them.

2009-08-30 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2378997

User image

Extreme Veteran
I know what you mean. I mapped out the bike on this route creator, and it also shows a slight climb going from T1 out west. Maybe this guy just thinks he is too good and doesn't notice the climb.

Regardless, I look forward to gettin my race on!
2009-08-30 6:35 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I just pulled the trigger on this race - probably be the last race of the year for me.  I also managed to pick up a nice little cottage for rent on Lake Huron about 3 miles south of town so that should work out good as well. 

The venue sounds like it is very good - crystal clear swim, good roads on a great course, and a flattish run course should produce some fast times I imagine.

Ryan

2009-08-31 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Because I am sweet and a weather forecaster in the Air Force, I looked up some wind information from Wurtsmith AFB, and typically in the month of September, winds are calm 18% of the time. Also, the primary wind direction for September is 210, with ranges between 190-240, which is south-southwesterly. Very rarely are the winds anywhere between 180-340.

So for the course, more than likely the winds will be calm until about 10 am, then be out of the southwest between 3 and 9 knots. Race starts at 8am, so if you are on the bike well before 9, the winds will still be calm til the ~40k point; however, looking at the course, you won't get any help from the winds, because then heading back you are going due west for about 10 miles from the turnaround point. So you will have a slight headwind at this point. But, I am thinking the unless we get some northwesterly winds (the second most common direction), it will be a headwind from miles 38 (the bottom of the dam) to ~48.

However, if the winds are northwesterly, all bets are off, and the winds should be calm til about 10am, and that will give you enough time to get to the ~20-24 mile point before the winds start kicking up. However, the ~10-12 miles of heading west might be rough, but after the ~38 mile point when you start heading south-southeast back towards T2 will be easy as cake; the winds will pick up slightly and give a nice tailwind the last ~18 miles home.

So to sum up my climatology forecast for our race, southwesterly winds (the most common) will suck for us and northwesterly (the second most common), will help us out on the last 18 miles or so. However, these two directions are determined by one thing; where the next cold front is. If a cold front recently passed, the winds will be northwesterly, but it will be colder than we want. If a cold front is still to the west of us, the winds will be southwesterly, and it might be warm, which is good.

As we get closer to race day I will look at some actual data instead of modeled climatology data so we know what to expect.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Tawas Triathlon Festival - HIM : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3