SIU Office of Intramural & Recreational Sports
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 3s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to check-in nice and early and got my packet. Set up my transition area and got over to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Short jog from the transition area to the swim start.
Swim
  • 10m 44s
  • 385 meters
  • 02m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

The course is great; except the water is really dirty. I could not even see my hands entering the water in front of me.

Breathing with my Instinct wetsuit on was really difficult. I am at the high end of the weight range for the size I have and it is pretty tight. That, in combination with the chilly water, and I started out way too fast (tried to get out of the mix) made it very hard to breath and I ended up stopping and treading water for a bit to unzip my suit about halfway to try and breath better. Lifeguards approached and were concerned about me having stopped and I had gone off course a little and they almost pulled me out of the water, but I convinced them it was just a tight wetsuit problem and took off again.
What would you do differently?:

The water was not as cold as everyone was saying. In hindsight, I should have just done the swim in my trisuit. Having grown up in SE Wisconsin, we started swimming in the lake my uncle lives on when the water made 60 degrees; I would have been fine at 55 degrees. Moral, don't take everyone else's word for it - - Test the Waters.

AND, start out slower. Not worry so much about getting out of the mix and just settle into a spot. I started at a frantic pace and wasn't thinking about the full distance just getting out of the mix. I lost my breath at about 150-200 meters and could not get it back until I unsipped my wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 05m 7s
Comments:

Good transition except that I had definitly gone anerobic during the swim, so it took me a few minutes to catch my breath and composer to actually get started with the

Not kill myself on the swim so I can get into the transition immediately on getting to my area.
Bike
  • 18m 32s
  • 5 miles
  • 16.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I had ridden the course several times on the last few weeks, so I knew and was comfortable with the course. The race coordinators had plenty of volunteers around the course for direction and warnings, which was really good on the second turn - the IDOT had the road tore up early in the month and the patch was really rough and the volunteer at that turn was really good about making sure we saw it.

Pace better on swim so I can hammer a little harder on the bike. The 18 minute bike split is the same time I ride it late in a training ride.
Transition 2
  • 03m 5s

Not much except it would have been nice to have a stool or something to sit on. I had a towel and sat on the ground, but after the swim I had and the bike, I was real close to cramping up trying to get my shoes on sitting on the ground.
Run
  • 20m 33s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent run considering the detrimental swim. I was never really able to get my full breath back after my swim.

Again, have a much better swim so my entire race is better.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around transition area, took in fluids and fruit, and talked to friends from law school and the tri club.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

MY SWIM! I never really caught my breath throughout the race, but more importantly my body would not let me push it after the big time breathing problems in the water. I have capable of a faster bike and run back to back, but the anerobic swim shut me down. First timer learning experience!!

Event comments:

Small race in its 22nd year at Southern Illinois University. Short enough course it was great for a first timer like me; considering if the swim had been much longer I might not have made it to the beach.

Last updated: 2005-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:44 | 385 meters | 02m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Average HR 170
Suit: Ironman Instinct Wetsuit
Course: Straght line swim in the Lake on the Campus at Southern Illinois University from the cove at the boat dock to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:18:32 | 05 miles | 16.19 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Average HR 173
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Circular on campus and city roads.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:33 | 02 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Average HR 173
Course: Circular course on the path around the Lake on the Campus.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-04-30 4:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona
Subject: Doc Spackman Memorial

Well, I didn't get done in the time I had hoped, but I finished.  I must say I learned a lot; the most important thing of which was not to take off so fast on the swim; just settle into a spot and swim within the flow.

Thankfully I picked a short race to start with or I would not have made it to the beach, but it allowed me to learn a little bit about having the mental toughness necessary to push through the pain and finish.

Thanks to all that have supported me during this six month transformation from a thirty-something, 65 pounds overweight, couch potato into a thirty-something 35 pounds overweight, TRIATHLETE!!

- Tim

Edited by SwmBkRn 2005-04-30 4:57 PM

2005-04-30 8:49 PM
in reply to: #150538

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Doc Spackman Memorial

Tim,

Man I'm so proud of you. I know the last months were hard. Helping your parents, going to law school, training, working. It's all be difficult I know. I'm so happy for you and I want you to know how much YOU ROCK! You did it you triathlete you! Woo Hoo.

2005-04-30 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE! Nothing else can take that glory away, not a bad swim, not anything!!! Great job, Tim, I'm glad you were able to reach your goal!!!!!
2005-05-01 4:53 AM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Great Job! Way to overcome the advesity and push through to the end.
2005-05-01 2:08 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
WOO HOO TIM!  You did great!  Awesome job in doing your tri.....so when's the next one?
2005-05-01 3:18 PM
in reply to: #150793

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona

Rio Salado Sprint - Tempe, AZ - May 22, 2005

At this point, I am not sure of the distances. Previously, I read the distances as 300m swim - 5 mile bike - 1.25 mile run.  Today, I notice, on the race website, that the distances are shown as 400m swim - 20k bike - 5k run.

Good thing I am ready for either distance.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Doc Spackman Memorial Rss Feed