General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shawnee Mission Triathlon - Make up date? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-12 6:56 PM

User image

Subject: Shawnee Mission Triathlon - Make up date?
Will they reschedule the SM Triathlon?  

2009-07-12 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2279662

New user

Subject: RE: Shawnee Mission Triathlon - Make up date?
From what I read when I signed up or the race, there would be no reschedule of the event, nor would there be a refund of money spent on entering the event either.  I was looking forward to the event as it was to be my first one of any distance.  I did complete the CGSC triathlon, but his was my first USAT sanctioned event.  Still new at this sport.
2009-07-12 10:22 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I've never heard of a race being re-scheduled due to weather.
I feel bad for everyone who paid, traveled, and trained to get there. Sorry

2009-07-12 11:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
No make-up will be scheduled. However, KLM has extended a discount to SM triathletes who want to sign up for the Midwest Mayhem race in Lawrence this coming weekend. They are offering early bird registration prices instead of the current late registration fee. To get this you have to register in person on either Wed in KC of Sat in Lawrence and show proof of your SM registration.

Personally, I'm debating on taking advantage of this. I would really like to have another race under my belt before doing the KS 50 in August. Sucks that the weather got in the way of this race.
2009-07-13 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
AMA168 - 2009-07-12 6:56 PM Will they reschedule the SM Triathlon?  

The race organization spends most if not all of the $$$$ on a non-refundable park use fee, rental of bouys, porta potties, law enforement, chip system, etc. on race day, which is why it can't be rescheduled and no refunds are given.

It is a chance we all take when signing up for a race, be it a $65 local race or a $600 Ford Ironman event, they can all be cancelled for weather and such if the safety of racers and volunteers is questionable. This is my 5th year in the sport and this is the only paid race I have missed due to a weather cancellation, so it doesn't happen very often. But it can be frustrating especially for the 1st time racer ready for bragging rights.

Edited by montyzooma 2009-07-13 9:28 AM
2009-07-26 10:13 PM

Regular
Wow. Wow.   I was bummed when i got a call saying that even though I mailed my form in before the event closed by the time they received it the event sold out.  Guess I saved some $$ (and on top of it that weekend I had emergency gall bladder surgery) Someone was looking out for me.  Funny how things come together. 

2010-01-04 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
So, no one is probably reading this old thread at this point ... but, one other item on rescheduling any race within the JoCo park system (beyond the correctly noted point about the $$ already being spent) is that the County by-laws currently only permit Shawnee Mission Park to be closed to the public twice a year.  One time for the SMP Tri and the other for the Corporate Challenge event.  I guess you have to add limited closings for deer culling now too ...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shawnee Mission Triathlon - Make up date? Rss Feed