General Discussion Triathlon Talk » beaver lake tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-17 11:21 PM

User image

Oak Harbor, WA
Subject: beaver lake tri
Anybody know anything about the beaver lake sprint tri?

2009-07-17 11:48 PM
in reply to: #2292984

Subject: RE: beaver lake tri
It's my favorite local race! It's the same weekend as Danskin, which keeps the crowd down a little

The swim is short, and the lake is warm. Most people don't wear a wetsuit.

The bike begins at the park and winds through a neighborhood before beginning a long, swift descent. The bike course is notorious for it's long, staircase like climb of approximately 2 miles. Once you make it to the top of the big hill, the rest of the course is pretty flat with just a  couple of rolling hills

The run is nice-  rolling hills around the local community.
2009-07-18 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have done it but I love beaver lake and Beaver lake park. Going to do it this year though as my only sprint so I am looking forward to it. I have ridden the course once with a few others and it is a fun bike course, not to hard, the climb is long but not technical or difficult by any means. The run is fairly flat through nice neighborhoods and is actually a pretty fast course. Granted I think there are more people going to do it than were at my first tri but still...looks like fun!
2009-07-19 9:08 PM

New user

I am going to try it for my first tri. Any warnings against it? I am not sure about the hill senario, but I want to get one in this year, and I am looking for a finish - not first place. I am VERY new to the sport, and I like the fact they have a Clydesdale option. I have always thought I am sprecial for being a big guy... but we will see.
2009-07-22 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2294988

User image

Expert
clugodmd - 2009-07-19 7:08 PM

I am going to try it for my first tri. Any warnings against it? I am not sure about the hill senario, but I want to get one in this year, and I am looking for a finish - not first place. I am VERY new to the sport, and I like the fact they have a Clydesdale option. I have always thought I am sprecial for being a big guy... but we will see.

The hill can be harder than what you'd find in other sprints. There is a false summit to it, so enjoy the downhill/flatter section after the first climb, because you've got a little more to do.

I'd say take the climb easy and save some for the run. I've seen people at BLT have horrible runs (for them) because the cranked out the bike too fast.

I ride that hill a lot for training and it's not too bad, few sections might make you want for one more gear to spin in. Just do your own race.
2009-07-22 2:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The one time I rode the course I did a run right after through the race course. Actually did an 8:30 for the first two miles and about a 9:05 for the last two which was smoking for me but I enjoyed it immensly! I think you are right that the hill can be well...hilly but taking it at my own pace was certainly a good idea.

2009-07-22 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Top notch event!  I love it because I can ride my bike to the race in the morning and it's really fun, as well!  The hill is definitely steep and long--I'd recommend trying it at least once if you can before race day so you are not surprised by it.  The run is a little longer than a regular sprint, so be prepared for that, as well.  Lots of locals sit outside and cheer on the runners, which is fun.  I got first place in the Athena division last year, so I'll be defending my title!    Here's my race report if you want to read it.  http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=128494 

I'll be there wearing my LUNA Chix kit this year.  Come and say hello.

--Leslie

2009-08-02 9:20 PM

New user

Just did the ride this morning, and hopped into the lake after for a quick 1/4 mile swim. Ride was hilly but fun, and the swim was warm. I am a bit backwards in my progression, but what are you going to do? The ride was a bit surprising, and the hills were do-able, but I did it very slowly - similar to a sloth moving in the trees.

This will be my first race, and I am looking forward to learning from many, many mistakes I will make. Doing the ride "all out," is not going to be one of them. The first downhill was very fast, I clocked at 34 mph. Speed will be needed since I am going to climb the hills like a snail.

The lake is wonderful and very warm. I am considering NOT wearing a wet suit. Nothing like Lake Washington, which I always seem to wear a wet suit. Any thoughts, saves time in the transition, but does it make a huge difference in the swim?

I hope the event will be a blast. I am looking forward to hanging with all the "plus-sized" Clydesdale in my division. Looking forward to a beer at the end, and hope all will do well! 

2009-08-02 10:18 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

The lake is super warm right now--not sure I'll do the wetsuit thing.  I didn't wear it last year, although I recall that most everyone else did and I regretted it.  However, it is so much warmer this year that I will bet a lot fewer wetsuits are there, at least full wetsuits.  The swim is really short.  I rode up the hill the other day and it took me 18 minutes from bottom to top.  Hopefully I'll take off a few minutes in the next couple of weeks, as I will be doing that ride a lot.  (Anybody who wants to come and ride it, let me know!). 

2009-08-03 2:42 PM

New user

18 minutes, are you doing some sort of eastern block horse steroid? Nice job. If you need some clean specimens, mine is cheap, and I may be filling bottles of it at the top of the hill! I do not plan on doing the ride, but i wish you luck. I have plenty of hills in Bothell - in fact, in front of my house. Have a great day of hill training - careful at the top.
2009-08-07 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2302048

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
magic - 2009-07-22 11:53 AM
clugodmd - 2009-07-19 7:08 PM I am going to try it for my first tri. Any warnings against it? I am not sure about the hill senario, but I want to get one in this year, and I am looking for a finish - not first place. I am VERY new to the sport, and I like the fact they have a Clydesdale option. I have always thought I am sprecial for being a big guy... but we will see.
The hill can be harder than what you'd find in other sprints. There is a false summit to it, so enjoy the downhill/flatter section after the first climb, because you've got a little more to do. I'd say take the climb easy and save some for the run. I've seen people at BLT have horrible runs (for them) because the cranked out the bike too fast. I ride that hill a lot for training and it's not too bad, few sections might make you want for one more gear to spin in. Just do your own race.

Where was this advice 8 years ago?  This was my 1st ever tri, and didn't know about the "FALSE SUMMIT!"  I thought I was done with the climbing.... NOT SO!  Great race!

2009-08-07 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2334118

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

The past couple of times that I have ridden the BL hill, I've gone down the race hill instead of riding down Duthie Hill Rd (race course). That has helped me understand the hill much better and know where to push harder and where to take it easy.  There are a couple of spots where I find that standing makes it go by faster, even for 25 or 30 strokes.  The other day it took me 19 min from bottom to top, but that was from a total stop at the bottom due to traffic.  Saw a few other riders there, as well.

On Tuesday there is a swim/run brick at Beaver Lake (if you are a female) with us LUNA Chix at 6:15.  I thought it was a bike/run brick but was wrong.  I will probably go ride the course ahead of that if anybody wants to join me.

2009-08-09 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Hey all--

I did an hour's swim in BL this morning....it was much colder than earlier this month--I wouldn't say cold, but I wore my full wetsuit and was never too warm.  If the weather holds this pattern, I'll probably wear the wetsuit in the race to gain a bit of floatation.

Anyway, thought I'd pass it along.

2009-08-11 2:27 PM

New user

Thanks.. I was in Lake Washington on Saturday, and it was cold. I would have to assume the water would be cold in there too. Thanks for the update. See you all Saturday!

Chris
2009-08-11 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I am riding the course tonight at 5 (well, the hill portion, not doing Duthie Hill due to traffic on 202).  Anybody is welcome to join me, I'll be in LUNA garb. 

Then ladies are welcome to do the swim/run brick at 615.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » beaver lake tri Rss Feed