United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = m40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/15
Pre-race routine:

This my 18th tri and I have gotten pretty relaxed before races. However, I felt quite on edge before I went to bed. Nerves felt more like the old days, not so much in a fearful kind of way, but in a just wanted to go kind of way. Got about 4 hours of on and off sleep. Got to site about 5:50 and drove into a traffic nightmare. About 40 minutes later finally got a parking spot. Was a bit rushed, but they delayed race by 15 minutes, so I had plenty of time.
Event warmup:

My parents came out to see me race (or least swim) so I talked to them right up to race start, so no warm up
Swim
  • 28m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Being my 'home' lake, very relaxed going into swim. Decided to stay to out side to avoid traffic for the third race in a row. This meant no real drafting opportunity. Pushed pretty hard (for me) for 1st 100 or so, eased back a little. Pushed it pretty hard again on most of second loop. Felt really good and steady for entire swim. Last year: 1:37, this year 1:28. I suspect this course was a bit short, but even with that, easily my best swim of the year.
What would you do differently?:

Have confidence to push harder for entire distance.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

This actually went pretty well. About 30 seconds faster than usual. Will take what ever I can get.

not sure
Bike
  • 1h 18m 9s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 19.58 mile/hr
Comments:

At the last minute (like I got e-mail Saturday night) bike course was changed because of chip sealing done on course on thursday. So course was about a 1/2 mile longer than last year. Also there was some hills on this route. Nothing big by any means, but not the pancake flat of the regular course. Was really hoping to have a bike that met my expectations. As we started out there was a bit of a headwind and my pace was not what I wanted. I started saying, here we go again,another sub-par performance. At about mile 7 I had a conversation with myself. I told myself that if I wanted a better result, I was the only guy who was going to make it happen and that I had time to still do it, if I chose. This result is still not where I want to be, but I'm ok with it, because I worked my tail off for this one. The advances I had hoped for on the bike this year have never come, but I felt I gave this my best effort for what I had to give today. Time is almost identical to last year, but course was longer. Best bike of the season.

That what the off-season is for.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

not bad, about where it always is.
Run
  • 52m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

This year my run has been a bright spot. However, I was a bit surprised, after a hard effort on the bike, how fresh my legs felt. My Garmin freaked out about 1/2 mile in and read that I had gone 2666 miles at a 6:42 pace. I had no accurate pace data, except each mile, it would give me a correct pace read out. So I just had to go from feel. I was shooting for a 8:30 pace and seemed lock in pretty good. I told myself that fading was simply not an option (I talked to myself a lot today) All my training and mental self talk were no match for what I faced at mile 5. There right ahead of me was a guy in a speedo, who had no business being in a speedo. I did my best to focus my eyes up hi and I got through it.

Not much, this beat my expectations and last year's time by 5 minutes
Post race
Warm down:

got some water and then talked up with all the Donkey folk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my slowness gene, but at least it was not my attitude.

Event comments:

I can not underestimate, how important for me it was to have a good race. PR'ing by 14 minutes, even with a longer bike ride, was beyond my expectations. Sure there is lots of room for improvement, but a least I am excited again about trying to improve, instead of thinking about hanging it up.

Last updated: 2009-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Rocket Science Full
Course: two loops around the lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:09 | 25.5 miles | 19.58 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: different than original
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:09 | 06.21 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-27 7:37 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: Tri-ing for Children's

2009-07-27 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2309534

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Tri-ing for Children's

Freakin EEEEAAAAAAAWWWWWsome PR buddy!!!  well deserved!!!  two things:

1.  at mile 7 on the bike you talked to yourself cuz you werent happy with the pace........then ended up with the same basic split as last year, which means you kicked some serious azz after mile 7 buddy!!

2.  we all know you were watching the guy with the speedo and he was your pace booty!!!!!

GREAT RACE JIMBODONK!!!!!

2009-07-27 9:25 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Great job Jim!!!!  Great race, great overall time, and certainly pleased to see you excited again! 

2009-07-27 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2309573

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Jim donkiness shone bright
he had doubts but tried with might
he stormed the course like a hurricane
now his enthusiasm is born again.

nice race dude!
2009-07-27 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great Race.  Way to fight through some tough patches.  Always enjoy those conversations with myself.  Never easy.  But you got through it and improved everywhere.  Awesome.

Also, when you passed the guy in the speedo, did you give him a little look back.. c'mon, be honest
2009-07-27 2:11 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Awesome job Jim!! Congrats on the PR!!

2009-07-27 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI

Outstanding race brother and ALWAYS fantastic to see you.  I too saw the "to-hell-with-all-shame" speedo sporter.  I figure guys like him help me feel better about my spare (road bike) tire I carry with me everywhere I go.

Awesome job Donk!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-ing for Children's Rss Feed