General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vacation Sports issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-07-28 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Vacation Sports issues
Anyone else know whats happening with the Vacation Sports webpage?  I tried to go there today and it appears to be down, also tried to email Randy and it got returned.  May have to try and give a call this afternoon.

2009-07-28 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2312573

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
Subject: RE: Vacation Sports issues
Works fine for me
2009-07-28 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
Looks as they got it running again this afternoon later on.
2009-07-29 9:40 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Two words to the wise with respect to working with Vacation Sports: "Be patient"
2009-07-29 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2314751

User image

Elite

leapdog - 2009-07-29 9:40 AM Two words to the wise with respect to working with Vacation Sports: "Be patient"

Well said.

2009-07-29 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2314926

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Heh.  Whenever I see a thread like this, I am optimistic that it will say "Hi, I now work for Vacation Sports and all issues will be promply resolved and we're working on managing our races more professionally in the coming years" - signed New Vacation Sports employee. 

Yet that never happens.   Funny.

I don't know if you ever got a hold of Randy, but if it's a general race question and not specific to you then let us know.  Maybe one of us can help answer.

2009-07-29 3:56 PM

User image

The Burbs
When looking up information for the St Paul Triathlon, this was my personal favorite.  (I have not altered the pictures at all)

Followed by:

2009-07-29 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2315878

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I remember when I first looked at the bike map.  It took me a good 5-10 min to figure out you just went up and down Wheelock Parkway.  Kinda hard to see under the Sharpie line.

Oh, and of course it's not 20K.  But that is immaterial I guess.  Or is it?  I am confused

2009-08-03 7:04 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-03 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2323372

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Good for you, Dan!  I can't wait to hear.

2009-08-04 6:50 AM
in reply to: #2323435

2009-08-04 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2326065

Master
, Minnesota
Sounds pretty normal.

AcesFull - 2009-08-04 6:50 AM

<>

2009-08-04 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2326065

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
AcesFull - 2009-08-04 6:50 AM

<>

Exactly.  I signed up for this one quite a while ago, and am now spooked.  All that aside, I doubt I'll do it now since I later got roped into doing Ragnar that weekend, but I'm very curious to see the response to that email!

I'm not holding my breath, though...

Cheers, Chris
2009-08-04 8:49 PM

2009-08-04 8:57 PM

Expert
I got a response back confirming my entry this morning.  Hopefully you guys hear something back as well.  I did the New Bri as my first this year and thought things went pretty well, course may have been a bit shorter for the swim than listed or my adrenaline made me swim like Flipper.
2009-08-05 9:26 AM

Veteran
Circle Pines, MN
I will try to make sure my GPS is working in my boat. I am volenteering my boat again this year for the swim course. I have been trying to work through a sore MCL, so I won't be racing this year. If you see a guy with a black 18 foot Tuffy, a gotee, and a Ron Jon's t-shirt that will be me. The past 2 years I have raced while my Dad manned my boat. Any requests for the bouy placement? Personally I would like to keep them out of the weeds, but I don't know how bad they are out there.

Lance

2009-08-12 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2329261

2009-08-13 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2345426

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I was thinking about this on my commute today (lame).  I wonder if Randy thinks that since he sells out events, he's okay.  It bothers me that he is willing to accept mediocrity (at best) and he can't be getting as many return racers as other RDs.  Nearly every other race has left me with a desire to keep tabs on that race organization in the future, and excited about signing up for races again or finding new ones.  The polar opposite of V.S.  However, there are a ton of new folks who are willing to do V.S. events, so what is his reason to change?  I just hope that it doesn't scare away new people, and that I am just being an unreasonable.  Although that fact that so many of you agree seems compelling.

I will say that the Oakdale Duathlon is "fine" and I will probably continue to go back there.  Unless I am banned from V.S. events, due to my big mouth!  Although the same types of silliness has happened there, it seems less dire since the course is shorter and the weather is always great so water and stuff like that doesn't matter as much.  Although I was chagrined to see the winner of this year's event allowed to drive out on the course to leave before the race was over.  That was wrong on a LOT of levels   While the course is not closed, that was rude and if transition had been closed it wouldn't have happened.

2009-08-14 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2345728

Master
, Minnesota
Emily, I think you nailed this one. VS has a (generally) reasonably priced product that attracts alot of first timers. Like you've mentioned in earlier threads, events get REALLY cheap or free if you volunteer at one of their events so I think there's some appeal there. In general, I'd consider VS hosting a 'Walmart' type of event - I go there occasionally to pick up a cheap, consumable product that has little meaning.

I too would be curious to see some stats on VS returns, first timers, etc. Let's face it, if RF's organization doesn't have the capability to return an email, I don't think it has a data warehouse of information from which to pull that sort of info.

BikerGrrrl - 2009-08-13 8:15 AM

I was thinking about this on my commute today (lame).  I wonder if Randy thinks that since he sells out events, he's okay.  It bothers me that he is willing to accept mediocrity (at best) and he can't be getting as many return racers as other RDs.  Nearly every other race has left me with a desire to keep tabs on that race organization in the future, and excited about signing up for races again or finding new ones.  The polar opposite of V.S.  However, there are a ton of new folks who are willing to do V.S. events, so what is his reason to change?  I just hope that it doesn't scare away new people, and that I am just being an unreasonable.  Although that fact that so many of you agree seems compelling.

I will say that the Oakdale Duathlon is "fine" and I will probably continue to go back there.  Unless I am banned from V.S. events, due to my big mouth!  Although the same types of silliness has happened there, it seems less dire since the course is shorter and the weather is always great so water and stuff like that doesn't matter as much.  Although I was chagrined to see the winner of this year's event allowed to drive out on the course to leave before the race was over.  That was wrong on a LOT of levels   While the course is not closed, that was rude and if transition had been closed it wouldn't have happened.

2009-08-15 1:08 AM

I'm actually signed up to race the sprint course.  Was not pleased with my performance at Brewhouse and wanted one last triathlon to end the season on.

My only tri experiences have been great thus far with Minneman and Brewhouse.  Minneman was SO well organized and SO beginner-friendly.  I suppose after following this thread I'm in for a dissapointment in terms of race organization with St Paul.  I suppose the 'course map' and course website should've led me to that conclusion early on.  Really appreciate everyone's thoughts and input thus far though -- especially taking the time to email the RD.

Per the post above, I needed one last  triathlon fix and my most convenient alternative?  Wal-Mart....
2009-08-15 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2350136

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hey - there's nothing wrong with that!  As long as you know what you're in for   Have a great race, I hope it works out well and fits the bill.

ericle2 - 2009-08-15 1:08 AM I'm actually signed up to race the sprint course.  Was not pleased with my performance at Brewhouse and wanted one last triathlon to end the season on.

My only tri experiences have been great thus far with Minneman and Brewhouse.  Minneman was SO well organized and SO beginner-friendly.  I suppose after following this thread I'm in for a dissapointment in terms of race organization with St Paul.  I suppose the 'course map' and course website should've led me to that conclusion early on.  Really appreciate everyone's thoughts and input thus far though -- especially taking the time to email the RD.

Per the post above, I needed one last  triathlon fix and my most convenient alternative?  Wal-Mart....

2009-08-17 3:21 PM

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
If you go into St.Paul thinking of it as a loosely organized training day, you'll be fine.  Low expectations.  Then you get what you expect.  Oh, and bring plenty of water for yourself.  They won't have any for you.
2009-08-17 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2353977

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
rowdypaint - 2009-08-17 3:21 PM If you go into St.Paul thinking of it as a loosely organized training day, you'll be fine.  Low expectations.  Then you get what you expect.  Oh, and bring plenty of water for yourself.  They won't have any for you.

I'm now seriously considering doing this sprint on my Brompton folding bike.  I just want to use this race to practice transitions and get some race-environment OWS time in - not looking for any podiums or records here   The more I think about it, I think I will use the ol' Brompton.  Then I don't need to worry about the security of my beloved Specialized if the TA security look sketchy.  The Brompton should cause quite a stir, LOL

Cheers, Chris

2009-09-20 9:21 PM

Regular
Eden Prairie

Away back in 2001, (I think?) I wrote a review of the inaugeral Square Lake tri that was published here and there and how it suffered from poor planning and etc....and I've heard echoes of that continue over the years. At that time, I also received a critique for my critique from a true triathlon old-timer who noted he'd swam with a kronosaurus, biked when the wheel was invented, and ran wearing leather jerkins....and frankly he had a point. Not every triathlon needs to be a corporate-sponsored, club-lovin', well-oiled operation... heck jump in the lake, hop on your bike and scamper down the trail - done.

I've learned to take the VS events a bit more instride over the years. They are what they are and seem to have improved, albeit slightly, over the years ( I just did Square Lake half and it was fine, though the DJ music was just plain weird to my ears...). For the money (I recommend signing up in the winter at the first of the year when they're half price)  they're fun, reasonable events and Randy, god bless'm, is big hearted guy who does a lot of these.   

Frankly, I won't be too nervous about VS events and I recommend them for newbies as well as veterans.

2009-09-20 10:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Agree with F4ward on this ... I ended up being very impressed with how well St Paul Tri went - given the size and sheer number of newbs (me included!) it attracts, Randy and his team did a great job.  Perfect? No, but it was well done from start to finish, IMHO.

And Randy is a great guy - I don't think anyone who knows him would ever say otherwise.  I'll absolutely be doing more VS events in the future - the prices are great, and the past event organization issues all seem to be well under control these days.  

Cheers, Chris 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vacation Sports issues Rss Feed  

of 2