Multiple Sclerosis Society
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 08m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at five this morning to get there in time. Yuck. Scrambled eggs for breakfast (three hours before race.)
Event warmup:

Stretched the IT band a LOT. I was there an hour early because I worried about finding the place, and then finding parking. So I walked a lot, stretched a lot, ran a little. Should have been drinking more and also EATING more. The stretching felt particularly good.
Run
  • 33m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out WAY too fast (felt unsually good...should have known better!) and then bonked after the first mile. It completely sucked after that. I was getting passed with women pushing two kids in strollers. Kind of degrading. But I kept telling myself that if I just finished without walking, it wouldn't be so bad. After all, I'm coming off an appendectomy and a bout with ITBS not to mention the altitude. Sounds like I'm making excuses, huh? Mostly just trying to rationalize. :)
What would you do differently?:

Go out much slower, eat more before the race, DRINK A LOT MORE.
Post race
Warm down:

Laid wiht my legs propped on a tree for a few minutes, stretched a bit, and walked to my car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Going out too fast. How disappointing! This from an ex-cross country runner who was once a real champ at pacing herself. Boy have I lost my friggin' touch.

Event comments:

The course wasn't marked, and most people I talked to were irriated by this. It was the first time the MS Society has done a 5K so I think there were going to be some gaps no matter what. But I thought they did pretty well, other than that.

Last updated: 2005-05-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:18 | 03.1 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Nice and flat in a pretty park in Denver.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-07 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
Subject: MS Run for Hope 5K

2005-05-07 4:30 PM
in reply to: #154115

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: MS Run for Hope 5K
Congratulations on your first race!!!! Great time.  DOn't beat yourself up over an injury...thats my department.  I beat myself up over St. Athonys runtime and turns out I had a real good reason to be hurting.  Bask in the glory of your first race and enjoy the day.  Take care -SMO
2005-05-07 4:45 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
congrats!  Nice work!
2005-05-07 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Nice job!!! I'm so sorry I didn't get to meet up with you - I was going to PM you last night to try and figure out somewhere to meet up, but my computer at home was on the fritz!! I had to do the walk right after the run...

Good race - those aren't excuses - they're all things that are going to effect you!  BTW - I measured it at 3.2 miles with my GPS - just a bit longer than 5k

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MS Run for Hope 5K Rss Feed