62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 33s
Overall Rank = 20/143
Age Group = 25-29M
Age Group Rank = 2/22
Pre-race routine:

************CONTENT ADVISORY**************************
The following race report is not role-model material. It is full of things that you should NOT do. Therefore, if you consider me a role model of any kind, please refrain from reading any further and go back to surfing the polls in COJ. Consider yourself warned.

As many of you know, I was invited this weekend to hang out with a bunch of friends at a cabin up in Rhinelander, and I figured I'll do the Wausau Tri while up there to get a little training in, etc. I know what all of you were thinking, too. "Jon's going up to a cabin up in the woods with a bunch of friends? Man, he is going to get lit up, hammered, wasted, bombed, etc."

Yeah well, I did.

We arrived at the cabin late friday night (the race is saturday morning), unload the stuff, and got to it. I am unable to hold my own and I found that out very quickly. But I apparently kick ass at beer-pong.

Fortunately, I had the foresight to set my alarm before we started. Not so fortunately, I didn't get to bed until about 2 hours before it was set to go off. The cabin was about 1.5 hours from the race site, but it was a later start, and packet pick up went until 8am.

I woke up the next morning about 20 minutes after my alarm was supposed to go off. I found my cell ringing in the bottom of my sleeping bag.

I did not feel good.

I got into the car and took off, and wondering the entire ride out there why I was so stupid. I carbo-loaded on Miller Lite and I was going to pay, I knew it. I was able to stomach down a banana and sipped on some gatorade on the drive out.

I made it to packet pick up with 5 minutes to spare. Got to transition, and there were NO assigned spots, it was a free-for all. How does this work? I was almost the last person there, and I got the best transition spot with about 2 feet on either side.

I still do not feel good at all.
Event warmup:

My wave didn't go off until 9:35, so I sat in the porta-john for about 45 minutes texting tony and reading the latest issue of "Inside Triathlon". They called my wave, and I zipped up my onesie, said a little prayer, and headed out.
Swim
  • 05m 31s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was far and away the weirdest wave start ever. Instead of doing age group waves, they set up the waves according to registration order. Seeing that I didn't register until the wednesday before the race, I was in the second to last wave. They were mixed, too, meaning that I was toeing the line next to grandma. I'm a pretty aggressive swimmer. So, when the gun went off, I bolted to get ahead of grandma so I wouldn't kick her in the face (accidentally of course). I went all out in the swim and came out probably 20 yds ahead of the next guy in my wave. The water was crystal clear.

Running up the little hill into T-1, my stomach began to flip me the bird and started screaming "here comes payback beeyotch!"
What would you do differently?:

I am not answering any of these.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

I vurped a tiny bit running to my spot. I FINALLY got the hang of getting my hearing aid in quickly, so I was able to stay ahead of the guy, and not get beat by anyone out of transition.
Bike
  • 54m 1s
  • 17 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where my contribution to failblog.org comes into play. First off, the headwinds were brutal, the hills didn't help much either. No one out there put down an above-average bike split today. We had gusts up to 20 mph. I am whining like a little baby at this point. I came closer to quitting today than I ever have.

3 miles in, I pulled a Normann Stadler and upchucked, luckily I timed it right and didn't get any on me, or anyone else. I am not feeling good AT ALL. But this is my own damn fault, I can't complain to anyone. I better just keep going. Finish Line or Ambulance.

Threw up again at mile 10ish. I thought you were supposed to feel better after you threw up? All I know is that I should be in bed, but instead I am out here, in the windiest condition I've ever seen, freezing my patootie off, and I am massively hungover.

This was the first time I did not enjoy the bike, at all. Finally got back to transition and thought again about quitting, but fortunately there was some decent pace booty to lead me out of T2, and into what turned into my best run ever.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

This is good, but I really would like to get a sub 1 minute T2 time. Thank god for pace booty.
Run
  • 22m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

The first tenth of a mile was a quick-paced shuffle to loosen up the legs. Once they got loose, I began to hit my stride and things fell into place. We exited the part and were greeted with a stiff headwind. Since it wasn't an out and back, we never got to reap the benefits of having the same wind push us back.

Since I didn't start with my age group, it was tough to gauge where I was, so I just decided to go for broke. I think had we not had that headwind, I could have gone below 20 minutes for this split. But, I am ok with how it turned out! I was a little weird to have my run be the shining moment, and the bike not so much. Usually it's the opposite.

Fortunately, I was able to keep my remaining stomach contents down through the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and hydrated like a muther trucker. I knew that the headache was going to come screaming back and I needed to be ready for it. I sat and stretched for a little bit. I got my stuff out of transition, and was going to load up and head home, when I walked by the timing trailer and saw they had the times posted. Decided to walk over and check it out real quick then head back to Rhinelander.

I got 2nd AG. F%@*. You kiddin?

I was immediately torn between being absolutely elated that I made it to the podium and my body's overwhelming desire to get back to bed. The podium won out. The awards did not start for another hour, so I sat down at the finish chute and cheered other finishers in, in an effort to forget about my own pain. It worked! I had a great time and saw some great things, I always like it when a parent is running down the chute and is joined by a couple of little kids that are excited like they are at Disney World.

Stuck around for awards, then got back into the car and headed back to Rhinelander, where I was greeted by my friends who had just rolled out of bed and were making breakfast. At 2 in the afternoon. :)

I ended up having a great weekend! After that first night, none of us really felt like going through that again, so it was pretty mellow, got to wakeboard for a bit, and enjoyed the beauty of the northwoods!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh, I was massively hungover?

Last updated: 2009-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:31 | 437 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/143
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Tracer
Course: Semi circle, counterclockwise
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:01 | 17 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:11 | 03.11 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Course: Flat with a headwind
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 4:01 PM

User image

Elite
Denver
Subject: Woodson YMCA Triathlon

2009-08-03 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2325004

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Woodson YMCA Triathlon

Way to go.  I often wondering what it was like to race hungover.  Fortunately, I have the brains to not try it  But, you podium'd, so all is good. 

2009-08-03 4:50 PM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Nice job! Hard to argue with a podium finish, but i bet you won't be adding vast quantities of Miller Lite to your pre-race routine, right?
2009-08-03 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Wow - congrats on the podium spot despite the hangover and double upchuck on the bike!
2009-08-04 9:11 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Nice race Jon...you should drink more often. You are soooo much faster dood!!

2009-08-05 10:29 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

You weren't kidding about your experience regarding this race when I saw you yesterday dropping my bike off!  Ooooooooooooo!

I thought that you would start going backwards from the hurl thrust.

Wow, hardware even after a nauseous event!  Good for you!

2009-08-06 6:09 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Entertaining RR.  Nice race, too...except for the puking.
2009-08-06 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
2nd in your age group, eh? Well I think it's pretty clear what you should do before every race from now on.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Woodson YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed