View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
Total Time = 1h 16m 33s
Overall Rank = 9/697
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/68
Pre-race routine:

alarm set for 3:15am... snooze.. snooze... up a bit after 3:30am... out the door at 4am... rolled into the parking lot around 4:40am... and shuttled into transition by 5am... wasn't feeling my usual pre-race jitters...
Event warmup:

got set up and walked around to get my bearings in the transition area... went for a short run - saw schmize, coredump and jabraunski... was feeling a little something in the right achilles... so kept it short and spent some time stretching and massaging it... went down a ways in the lake... away from the start area and swam around a bit... ran into pjgrande and donnawiz when i was getting out... and they helped me find my gu gel that mysteriously disappeared somewhere inside my wetsuit...

-----
lesson learned - pump bike tires up the morning of the race... we had to stage them the day prior... and i filled them when it was blazingly hot out... with it being a little cooler the following morning they were definitely low (about 100 psi vs. 120 psi)...
Swim
  • 19m 53s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

really happy with my placement on the swim... felt like i got out to a strong start... i felt solid and kept a good line to the turn around buoy... there was a big wave in front of us... so from about halfway to the turnaround through the rest of the swim there was a lot of bumping and navigating around folks...

after the turnaround we were going back into the sun... and i could not see anything... my googles suck to start with... but then going into the sun it was impossible... i was all over the place on the way back... i could not see the bouys so i was just aiming towards the middle of all the arms i could see ahead of me... others must have been having trouble seeing as well... as there were people going in every direction it seemed like... lots of contact out there... a couple times i realized that i was about 10 - 15 yards wide left of everyone - as i was close to the swim platforms... so would then make my way back in towards the middle... was a bit bummed when i saw my time coming out of the water... however it appears that the swim was a bit long...

tried drafting a few times... but never came upon anyone that i could keep with for more than about 20 seconds...
What would you do differently?:

practice sighting... and more ows...
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

it was a long transition area... so i actually practiced the line i was going to take to my bike a couple times before the race... after seeing my swim split, I felt like my shot at placing was over so i think i was dogging it a little through T1... not sure why... didnt feel like i was throwing in the towel... just was lacking any sense of urgency... guess i learned another lesson there...

need to work on getting the wetsuit off faster... and just keep it moving...
Bike
  • 34m 36s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.55 mile/hr
Comments:

had troubles getting my left foot clipped in... and once again i forgot to reset my bike computer so wasn't able to track avg speed... but anyway... felt fine on the bike... however i just didnt feel like i had that extra gear... had hoped to see my speed in the 22.2+ range... but seeing that i've hardly biked since SOR i knew that would it be tough... also, seemed to be fighting the wind most of the time... so not overly disappointed here... but i feel like the bike is an area i can make a lot of improvement on... definitely need to do more hill work...!!!

log more miles on the bike... also, donnawiz was talking up the benefits of an aero helmet... so may have to look into this as well as some race wheels... :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

ahhh...!!! this was a memorably forgettable transition...!!!

had been practicing my speedy bike dismount the day before the race... didnt feel like i had it perfected but was comfortable enough to give it a go in the race... coming into transition i waited too long to get set up... so i'm unstrapping my shoes... and coming in pretty fast... cant get my right foot out... reaching down to do so and my shoes becomes unclipped... apparently my brain doesnt quite function properly during races and i'm not sure what to do... i figure i'll just coast in and unclip the other one.. hop off the bike and go... just like normal... for some reason when i get ready to dismount i decide to try jumping off still with my shoes still on though... obviously i didnt think ahead enough to realize that my left foot was still in my shoe and clipped in... which quickly became apparent as i was so masterfully executing this... so as i'm hitting the brakes and going to jump off the pedal to the ground... the bike decides to follow me... and flips up over me as i tumble across the ground at the dismount point... i did hear a large smattering of 'ohhs' and 'ahhs' by the all-too-large crowd that was standing there as i'm laying on the ground still clipped into my bike... lying there.. with my bike on me... chain off... seat and brake levers aiming sideways... a bunch of people rush up to see if i'm okay... which i felt fine and somehow managed to escape without a scratch... however as i'm on the ground i just had to laugh... at how funny that whole incident must have looked...

anyway... get up.. acknowledge the crowd... (as they were providing very encouraging words... as i probably looked like i had never been on a bike before... or more appropriately - never had gotten off a bike before...) grab the bike and go... the next part was a bit more irritating as it took me forever to get my running shoes on.. as the soles keep sliding forward whenever i would put my feet in... finally get set and off i go...

next time i think i will just go full speed into the barrier fence... that might make it a bit more entertaining for the crowd... :)

that and glue the soles down in my shoes...!!!
Run
  • 18m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

this was the part of the event i was waiting for... wanted to really go after the 5k... goal was to go sub 18:36 (which is a 6 min pace)... PR was 18:56...

came out of transition and just started pushing... was feeling decent... so was just hoping i was on or near pace... thought i may be going a little under 6... but hit mile 1 at 6:03... figured that was fine... didnt want the next mile to be any slower though... but in mile 2 you could really feel the heat...!!! and when you made the turn you were going back into the wind... so i was definitely pushing it harder... trying to stay on pace and run people down... legs felt pretty strong... hit mile 2 at 6:03 again... i knew if i kept this up i'd at least PR... but really wanted the sub-6... kicked it in the last mile... passed a few people this mile... but then i got passed by someone with about 1/4 mile to go... and then i passed someone else just before the 3 mile mark... i hit mile 3 at 5:48... and was pumped... i went into a sprint for the last .1 mile... the guy i had passed caught me... and we were both catching the guy that had passed us... the 3 of us were hauling a$$ down the finishing chute... we finished in reverse order from where we hit the mile 3 marker... so i came in second... wishing i had a little more of a kick at the end... but it was a fun finish...!!! last .1 mile in 30 seconds (5:00 pace)... final time - 18:24 (5:56 pace)... crushed my 5k PR by 32 seconds...!!! that felt awesome...!!!

not a thing...!!!
Post race
Warm down:

lots of liquids and tracked down others from the race... saw schmize's wife (holly) and got some updates from her on schmize, coredump and jabraunski... mainly hung out with donna and pam waiting for them to post results... and waiting for awards... schmize, pjgrande and i all placed in our AG...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

signed up for this one at the last minute... and didnt feel like i was totally prepared... mentally or physically... happy with the results though... Missed AG 1st by 72 seconds... just goes to show that you should never give up on the race...!!!

Event comments:

liked the course and the event... it was a little warm out... but not as bad as i was expecting...

my reason for doing the sprint was that i wanted to get a long run in yet that day... which i almost bailed on... but did manage to get a 20.5 miler in later that evening... so i figure a 5k PR, hardware and a 20 miler all in the same day makes for a pretty solid day...!!! :)

Last updated: 2009-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:53 | 820 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/68
Overall: 117/697
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:36 | 12.43 miles | 21.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/68
Overall: 52/697
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:18:24 | 03.11 miles | 05m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/68
Overall: 2/697
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-17 3:50 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon Sprint

2009-08-17 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2354067

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon Sprint
All I can say is WOW.  You really nailed it on this one.  Great times all around.  Congrats on all fronts - your overall, PR on the run, the AG 2nd, and just having an all around great race.

I'd pay to see that dismount on video if you have it!
2009-08-17 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison-ish, Wisconsin
Nice Race!
2009-08-17 4:51 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
If that bike dismount was captured on video, it would have the most hits on Youtube for sure!

Great race and RR. Finish the day with a 20.5 miler? I smell BQ on Oct. 4.
2009-08-17 4:53 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Holy carp you're a fast runner!!! That's an amazing run split. I give it a 10! The dismount, though ...

Nice race and good to meet you!
2009-08-17 8:38 PM

Uxbridge
I would pay $$$ for a copy of that video!!!!

Great job out there...get the wheels

2009-08-17 9:11 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

A quickie bike into a blazing run!  WOW - SUB 6!!

2009-08-17 9:49 PM

User image

Elite
Denver

Yeah for sure man, if that dismount ends up on youtube, you need to post a link!

NICE WORK! Congrats on the hardware and........teach me to run like that?

2009-08-18 7:10 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Great race Ben! Congrats on the hardware!!
2009-08-18 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran

Nice Race for a Rookie.  Any damage to the bike?

Sub 6's is definitely EEAAWWWsome.

Way to get it done Ben.

2009-08-18 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI

What a good sport you are to be able to laugh at yourself.  I like your idea for running into the barrier fence.  Too funny.  Quite an impressive showing.  Good job.

2009-08-18 10:40 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

That's an amazing run.  I think it more than makes up for the dismount mishap. 

Your 5k leg of a tri is faster by almost 2 minutes than my standalone 5k!  That's just wrong.... but in a very good way.

2009-08-18 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Bloody hell that is a fast run split!  Nicely done.  Would love to have some of that come my way. 

2009-08-19 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran

Steller race as usual! Man you got some speedy legs, although the bike fall dominates the story haha. I havent tried the dismount yet cuz i would have done probably worse than what you did! Always good to see you! Good lukc with the mary training

2009-08-19 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

great race report (notice the shift button isn't working on my computer either

seriously, though, that was a darn good race.  like i said on sunday, and 18:24 sure covers a lot of mistakes!  that is so freaky fast.  i need to get me some of that, no doubt.  that finish had to be a blast with all of you guys flying in there like that.

and of course, that dismount would be something i would have liked to seen.  i like the acknowledging the crowd, too.  you should have said, well if you like that, come on over to the run course, and i will show you biatches some real fireworks!!!

2009-08-19 6:13 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI

WOW Ben...I did not realize just how fast you were on Sunday. I still would have loved to see the fall at the dismount!! I forgot to ask you if the bike was ok? I can not believe your run split...and you had it very tactically planned, and well executed! Your T2 time was really good, especially after the comic relief at the dismount line!! Way to regroup, DTHU and turn in a smoking fast run! GREAT negative split on the last mile! CONGRATS on the hardware...you are filling up the shelf now huh?

and yes, Donna and I had ALOT of fun helping you locate and remove the gel from your wetsuit. <<<giggle, giggle!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon Sprint Rss Feed