Jewish Community Center
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 04m 30s
Overall Rank = 26/198
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/30
Pre-race routine:

Get out of bed WICKED early, load bag and bike into truck, drive to Marblehead ensuring that I stop by Dunkin Donuts for a big iced coffee to chase my sugarfree Red Bull.
Event warmup:

For a warm up to this race, I basically kept pondering the "what if's" and that was sufficient to keep me in an elevated HR Zone for 20 minutes. As an additional warm up exercise, I fought my way into my new high speed, low drag, combat ready Team Javelin trisuit. (This was actually done three times, since I got to the site early and had a big iced coffee and redbull and had to hit the bathroom before the race even began).
Swim
  • 03m 17s
  • 220 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

No flip turns in pool due to number of swimmers and fear of overtaking/injuring another swimmer. The pool was a little too warm, but the swimmers in my particular area seemed to be right on with their times, as I didnt catch the person ahead of me, and lapped the person behind me. Pretty nicely done.
What would you do differently?:

I need to be more consistent on my pacing. I took off too strong, and felt that I over did it by the 4th lap. I took two easier (still race pace) laps, and then finished strong. More work on the swimming.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

My T1 went very smoothly, especially after the long jaunt from the end of the swim to the transition. Plenty of time to catch my breath and had laid my equipment out well. Had my gloves velcroed to the bars, so I put those on after I had taken off, and that will definitely be my technique. (THIS TIME IN TRANSITION WAS ACTUALLY 1:55, BUT I INCLUDED THE TIME FOR RUNNING FROM POOL THROUGH BUILDING AND DOWN TO TRANSITION AREA INTO IT AS WELL = +:45SEC)

Maybe practice the shoes alread in the pedals, but other than that, I had a very smooth transition.
Bike
  • 29m 55s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.06 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike is beginning to show the wear on the drive train. On loop three, trying to switch gears for the uphill portion, there was a serious delay, and believe this is indicative of the beginning of the end. New parts coming and hope to be fixed by Mooseman in three weeks.

Maybe I would try to pick up the speed some and shave some time from my bike leg. I purposefully took it easier than I usually would to ensure I had legs left for the run, which were fine. Need to work on that, so I can get better.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

T2 was as good as, if not better than T1. Got off bike, ran to rack and immediately took off helmet and bike glasses, then shoes. Grabbed running glasses, put on shoes, put on race belt, and grabbed two small water bottles (1 water, 1 accelerade) and put them in the pockets of my tri-suit on the fly. Was out of the transition area in less than a minute. Nice.

Nothing, this seemed to go flawlessly.
Run
  • 27m 51s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a great run (even better when I realized it was a 3.5 and not a 5K, HA!!) Eased into the run with my first mile in exactly 8 minutes, then picked up the pace to chase someone. Finally passed the guy and was subsequently blown away by another guy. (Never get cocky! HA!) finished with the UPHILL sprint and crossed the line at 1:08 and some change and will deduct my +4:30 start time to a sub 1:05 race!

I will continue to train so I can maintain the same pace for 6.55 and eventually 13.1.

OFFICIAL TIME: 28:41. again, THIS TIME INCLUDES THE TIME IN TRANSITION FROM BIKE TO RUN SO ACTUAL TIME 27:51 FOR A SUB 8 MIN MILE.
Post race
Warm down:

Usual walk around and catch my breath followed by a lot of patting myself on the back. Did some good stretching and changed to warm clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think that once I convert my bike's drive train from an 8 to a 10, the additional gearing will allow me to get better speed and power while maintaining a comfortable cadence.

Event comments:

As this is my first full triathlon, it will always have a special place for me. I did better than I expected, and had a BLAST! I love this sport, and I will continue to train and see what happens next!

Met Peter Daly and what a really cool guy and it was a pleasure to meet him.

Last updated: 2004-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:17 | 220 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 33/198
Performance: Average
Snake swim consisting of ten lengths of pool with 10, 15, 20 seconds between each participant (The farther down the line the more time between swimmers). Started very strong, and hit a wall on lap 4, took next two as a time to catch my breath, then finished strong. LESSON LEARNED: Dont swim out of the gate too hard, and pace better.
Suit: Team Javeline Tri Suit
Course: SEE ABOVE: 5 laps (10 lengths) of pool in snake configuration.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:55 | 10 miles | 20.06 mile/hr
Overall: 27/198
This was a great ride, and took the race through a beautiful (WICKED Affluent) area of Marblehead, MA. HRM didnt pick up HR until a few minutes into the ride, but speed and distance worked well. Still no Cadence. Highest HR 163 on up hill, and training with High Cadence and lighter gears really paid off dividends on my ride.
Wind: Little
Course: From the JCC left to Beach St, then across the Causeway to Marblehead Neck (three loops) then back. One small hill on the front half of the Neck, but easily compensated for by its reciprical on the other side. This allowed me to crank to 32.8 mph for an average speed of 19.3 for the whole ride. OFFICIAL TIME POSTED LATER IN THE DAY: 32:30, AND EXPLAINED BY INCLUDING TOTAL T1 TIME PLUS BIKE SPLIT SO BIKE TIME ACTAULLY < 30MIN FOR 10 MILES!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: ??
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:51 | 03.5 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 45/198
HR saved me on this one, with the ability to monitor and keep the HR beloww 160 for the first half, I was able to finsh strong on the back side, and blew the hill away.
Course: The course was an out and back run with only one "hill" near the end and I found it pretty easy. Running along Atlantic Ave was a little unnerving, but no issues.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-15 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somerville
Subject: Triathlon by the Sea

2005-05-15 2:06 PM
in reply to: #157753

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Triathlon by the Sea
Wow! what an awesome race! Congrats on your first triathlon and you did so well! I wish I could swim like you; you're a fish!
2005-05-15 3:29 PM

Champion
Nice race Mike...looks like you had a fun time. Thats a pretty good running pace! See you at Mooseman.
2005-05-15 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
Hey Mike, thanks for looking for me....and finding me too!! Your support was great. (did you happen to see how slow I was).

2005-05-15 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Great work on your first full tri! Mooseman sounds like it's going to be a blast, can't wait for it!
2005-05-16 8:51 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Mike - Great race!

I'm sorry I couldn't cheer up for you guys but my friend's car didn't want to move anymore on route 1     Anyway, I hope you get your bike ready for Mooseman as it is going to be a blast!  CONGRATULATIONS!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon by the Sea Rss Feed