Runner's Soul
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 43s
Overall Rank = 25/96
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

First Tri! :) Put on by Runner's Soul. Calm, cool, and confident until I started packing a transition bag the night before. I hadn't practiced transitions and kept worrying I was missing something I'd need. Instead of a top, the race package included a pair of tri shorts and I decided to use them. Couldn't fall asleep until almost 2am and then the clock went off at 5:30. Cold cereal, juice and a bit of cola in place of a coffee. My truck is in the shop so I put my bag over my shoulder, ready or not, and rode my bike about 3k to the event.

I arrived by 7, got a good spot on the end of a rack, and got my number markings. The super-sprint distance seemed like a poor cousin with our racks on the far side of the transition area from the swim enterance and bike exit. We were right beside the run exit though. Went for a walk to scout the marked run and bike start and finish routes. Some high thin clouds were burning off and it was getting hot out.

I watched the Olympic and Sprint distance swimmers in the pool and saw some go through T1. I carried a water bottle around and drank lots. I had a bite of a bagel and a bite from a power bar that had been in the race package. Then it was time to get out of my sweats, apply some suntan lotion, and head for the pool. (Oops, careful with the lotion 'cause it can smear the number markings)
Event warmup:

I did half a length, flip turned in the middle and went back to the start. We were started 12 to a lane, ordered by cap color. I had hot pink and started 9th in my lane. We were all lined up along the end of the lane and up the left side, to leave from the right side on 5 second intervals. A few of us didn't fit at the end so we had to tread water for about 5 minutes before the start. Goggles kept fogging but I licked the lenses a few times while treading water and they weren't too bad.
Swim
  • 04m 3s
  • 200 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Planned to take it easy for the swim but I passed two people in the first half length. Passed several more through the swim including the guy in the red cap who lead off in our lane. One lady passed me like I was standing still. It was a bit crowded for some of the turns. My time is still a PR for 200m and almost 30 seconds faster than my best to date.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. My swimming is still getting better all the time so it was hard to plan for this.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Guessed at the transition times as they were added onto the bike leg in the results. They let us leave stuff on the pool deck while we swam so I had my socks, shoes and glasses there with a towel. My bike has toe cages so that was the only time I had to fuss with shoes. Dried with the towel as I ran to the bike but still fumbled with pulling my top on while wet. Eventually got the top sorted out, helmet, gloves, another big bite of power bar and I was off. Ran back through the transition area. Fumbled a little getting my toes into the cages but not for long.

Need a better plan for the top. Either something I'm already wearing or some practice getting one on wet.
Bike
  • 31m 39s
  • 15 kms
  • 28.44 km/hr
Comments:

Guessed at the time. T1 and T2 times were added to the bike leg but I felt good on the bike. The super-sprint distance that I was doing was aimed at beginners and was restricted to mountain bikes or hybrids but no road or tri bikes. So amongst the other beginners, I was passing everyone in sight. One lady passed me for a few minutes but I went by her again on the first overpass climb and no one else came close.

My training rides had all been short enough that I hadn't been drinking much. Just tried it a few times so I knew how to drink without losing control. However, the power bar from T1 left my mouth very dry and I was drinking every few minutes. It may have even helped because the day was getting very warm.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Guessed at the time again. Run to the rack, helmet and gloves off, hat on, gulp some water and away.
Run
  • 20m 31s
  • 3 kms
  • 06m 50s  min/km
Comments:

I'm just getting back into running after a few months fighting plantar fasciitis so I was going easy here. Sun was getting very warm by now too. I ran the whole thing and kept running up the hill but not very fast. Ugly hill! Felt like I should be pushing more in the final sprint but my legs just weren't cooperating.

Needed more training but the injury limited that. I didn't go too fast but I was happy with it.
Post race
Warm down:

My wife was there after the finish. I walked a bit and had some fruit and a muffin.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being too new to the sports and coming off an injury.

Event comments:

My best, and only, tri so far! My wife and I had to leave early, before the final activities, but I had a great time.

Last updated: 2005-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:03 | 200 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 31/96
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Lane swimming with up to 12 people circling a 50m lane.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:39 | 15 kms | 28.44 km/hr
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 18/96
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. The course had us climb over a couple of overpasses but otherwise was mostly flat. Mostly crosswind but slightly against us going out and better coming back.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:31 | 03 kms | 06m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 12/15
Overall: 47/96
Course: Out and back. Starts with a short flat to a steep hill that drops about 300 ft. elevation down into a river valley. Short flat and a small hill to the first aid station and the super-sprint turnaround.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-15 10:35 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Splash, Pedal, Gasp Triathlon
First Triathlon! :) :) :)

Edited by Micawber 2005-05-15 10:45 PM

2005-05-16 12:04 AM
in reply to: #158006

User image

Subject: RE: Splash, Pedal, Gasp Triathlon
Congrats Triathlete!!!!!!
2005-05-25 8:59 PM
in reply to: #158006

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada
Subject: RE: Splash, Pedal, Gasp Triathlon

Hey Dwayne, congrats on your first tri - you are officially a triathlete now!!! (lol- yeah I know that there is great debate on when one first becomes a triathlete, but you qualify now no matter what!)

All that swim practice has paid off - passing people now too eh? Very nice.

Glad the first experience was a good one - great job!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash, Pedal, Gasp Triathlon Rss Feed