EndorFun
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 56m 4s
Overall Rank = 834/1862
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 108/185
Pre-race routine:

What a great race overall. An entire weekend of fantastic events. Great pro field and a beautiful venue. Couldn't have hope for a better first HIM.
Event warmup:

Woke up at 5:00. A little coffee and a clif bar to start the day. Josh drove me up to Ellacoya but we hit the mother of traffic jams around 5:50 or so. Keith told everyone that the park would be full at 5:00. I'm not sure why there were so many people trying to get in still. They couldn't all be drop offs could they? Well, we pulled over and I rode the last 2-3 miles in. it worked out perfectly. A nice little warm up ride and I was able to have my pick of all the unused clean as a whistle (with no lines) porta potties along the run course. I setup transition and met my family and friends and just hung out and talked by the swim finish. Once the pros went off I suited up and had a nice slow swim over to the start as a warmup.
Swim
  • 34m 49s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim. I felt zero anxiety looking out at that huge course. All the training swims at Walden really helped. I feel very confident in these swims now. I was actually a little disappointed at the lack of contact. I think the washing machine is a little fun. Only had a few instances where I'd have to fight through lines of people or some contact at the turns. There were so many waves it was very spread out and a very calm swim. I sighted very well. I was so close to the turn buoys that I actually reached out and slapped them for fun. I was able to draft a bit on the way out but people were either too slow or way too fast. There was once a guy that was the exact same speed for a about 100 yards so I dropped back to draft him and save energy. When I got back there it just seemed liked to much work to concentrate on keeping on his feet so I just moved out and concentrated on my stroke instead. Overall, awesome swim.
What would you do differently?:

Just keep working on form.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

I ran to the strippers pretty quickly and the suit came off great. Everything was going wonderful so far. But suddenly I felt strange and couldn't see very well. Was I dizzy from the swim? Nope, my contact fell out. So, I had to root around in my t-bag to find spare contacts. I put them in my bento box hoping that the contact was just folded and would fix itself.

Not lose a contact.
Bike
  • 3h 05m 22s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Hopped on the bike and hammered up the first hill and then back down on rt 11 feeling strong. I couldn't see at all though and kept trying to fix my contact. At about mile 4 I had to pull over and put a new contact in. That was a great feeling - to be able to see again! I felt strong the first 12 miles through the hills. Marsh Hill was steep and tough but I got up it with no problems. I saw the video camera and said a quick hello to the mrs watching at home. I knew I was going to get sub 3 when half way through the 106 section I was only at about 19 mph average. I knew the second half was a lot slower. My lower back, butt, and hammys were really tight around mile 30 which was strange. So, I picked up a bottle of gatorade at the turn around aid station. Made me a bit nauseous but that subsided after a while. I thought I needed the e-lytes and I was right. the next 16 miles on 106 were very tough on me. I slowed way down, felt it in my legs a lot, and just started feeling crappy.

Train more at harder levels at longer distances. I did a few 50+ rides but not at race pace. I think the hills and the level of effort caught up to me. I don't think the heat was a factor yet because I wasn't sweating like crazy. But, this time last year I averaged about the MPH at my first sprint race on a flat course. Bike training is getting better.
Transition 2
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

I don't know what took me so long. I got off the bike quick and ran to my rack. My legs were very stiff and it was a bit of a challenge change shoes but not worth over three minutes. Maybe it was the long run back through transition.

Nothing really. I wore no socks and my zoots went on quickly. The only thing is to get the quick release for my garmin. It did take a bit to get it off my bike.
Run
  • 2h 08m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Ouch. I started out feeling better than I expected on those tired legs. I was pulling low 8's and flying by people. But, right before the turnaround my left hammy cinched up on my and I had to limp over to the side of the road to keep from falling. I stretched it and tried running again. Cramp. Stretched and tried again. Cramp! I may have yelled a few choice words. I stretched and tried doing a really light jog. That worked. I could hold a 9:30-10 minute pace without the hammy acting up. So, that's what I had to do the whole way. I never walked once even up those hills where very many did walk but I just couldn't run. I did some math in my head to make sure I could finish in under 6 and just kept the 10 min miles going. I felt good cardio wise. Very comfortable. Very very hot and my legs felt pretty terrible but a slow jog was quite doable. Heaven has a little spot set aside for the dudes with Zamboni ice. that was absolutely the best. I filled up my hat with ice each time I passed them. On the return trip I'd have them throw me a snow ball for the novelty of it.

At the run turnaround I got to high five my family and friends before having to run right by the finish and do it all over again. It was really great having them there.

I guess I need to spend more time on the electrolytes. That run was HOT. Lots and lots of people cramping and walking. I saw one poor guy step on the side of the road and sprain his ankle really badly. I hope he was able to finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down was basking in the glory of Chrissie giving me my finishers medal. Oh, and waiting for Cat to cross. Seeing her cross. Waiting for her in the coral. Not seeing her in the coral. Walking back into the chute and seeing her on the ground being attended to. I ran and got her some gatorade and a banana but by the time I got back they were walking her to the med tent. I grabbed her medal, towel, bottle, hat and brought them to her transition bag and then waited for her to come to. then went and cooled off in the lake while she was getting IV. We ate and then rode 7 miles home in the rain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and cramping. I was also not trained well enough on the bike. Definitely my weakest link though I've come a long way.

I am glad I was able to do the math and keep a pace on the run to finish in under 6 but the cramp and my bike fitness did not allow me to finish in under 5:30 like I had hoped. Next time for sure. A successful first HIM and a ton of fun.

Event comments:

Fantastic race at a fantastic venue with fantastic volunteers.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-11-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:49 | 2112 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/185
Overall: 568/1862
Performance:
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: One loop rectangle. Beautiful clear water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:05:22 | 56 miles | 18.13 mile/hr
Overall: 1139/1862
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back with two distinct sections. One hilly and one rolling.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:08:56 | 13.1 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 725/1862
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back on rolling hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-25 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2009-08-25 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2369991

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Awesome first HIM in craptastic conditions!..Thanks again for coming back for Erica and me..
2009-08-25 6:36 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
You rocked on a tough day - I cannot wait to see how you do on a real bike Tongue out

I had a fun weekend and yeah we have to go back and do this right!

It  helped to see you on the run even when I was in hell and TOTALLY helped having you there in the med tent!

Thanks for a fun weekend despite the ending!
2009-08-25 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Awesome job buddy.  Sub 6 for your first HIM is quite an achievement, let alone on this course with those conditions.  I complained slightly about the heat in FL and CA, but I think running in that humidity was worse.  Glad the you like the pics.  

2009-08-26 7:34 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Congrats on the sub-6!!

I like slapping bouys, too.  It's like claiming territories. 

If my contacts ever fall out I would not be able to see.  Go get LASIK! Best thing done to my body, ever!

2009-08-26 7:48 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Awesome job Rob! We did not have the best of conditions.............but we did it!

2009-08-26 7:52 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Great job Rob!!!!
2009-08-26 8:11 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Berto!!  great job and awesome report!!!  way to get it done in less than optimal weather conditions!!!

2009-08-27 3:31 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Dang man that's some fast swimmin' ... did you have a shark on your six??? Nice race muchacho!
2009-08-28 7:18 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Conditions were certainly not ideal however we perservered!!! It makes it that much sweeter!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed