in reply to: #2371160

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: Pets Rant

jazz82482 - 2009-08-26 8:13 AM
ashort33 - 2009-08-25 8:36 PM

***Rant ON***

Do not bring you little dog and his pillow to the home depot, or the mall, or the grocery store, or where ever you go.  Your precious will be okay at the house for a couple hours while you run errands.  I do not want your dog's nasty slobber and butt germs on my shopping cart!  For God's sake, if you to lavish that much attention on one of God's creatures, go adopt a child - there are thousands of children that could use a loving home!  It is a dog - an animal - it eats its own poop and drinks out of the toilet.  Dogs survived thousands of years without you ferrying it around like it was some baby.  Leave the mutt at home! 

***Rant OFF***

Thanks, I feel better now!

Dogs are technically allowed in some stores, as long as they are in control and on a leash. Too bad those same policies don't apply to children (the in control part....I suppose).

The same way you feel about dogs, some adults feel about little children- that the slobber-goop coming out of his orifices is NOT adorable- it's disgusting; he poops and pees in his own pants and vomits on himself after crawling around on the floor, picking up germs- so keep their grubby germy fingers away from me; keep him under control/on a leash- I don't want him walking into the back of my legs, or darting in front of my shopping cart while your talking on your phone/not paying attention; and for the love of god- make it stop screaming!!!!!!! 

We live in a free society. I am forced to deal with other people's children every time I go out of my house, and you are forced to deal with other people's dogs on that very rare occasion that you come across one in a store. You think children are adorable, I think dogs are adorable. 

You miss the point - dogs are animals.  Kids are human beings - there is a difference.

BTW - I will point out everyone slamming kids and public behavior on this board were once kids themselves.

Edited by ashort33 2009-08-26 9:28 AM

2009-08-26 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2370564

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I understand people want to bring their pets or children with them.  For the most part, I don't have a problem with this, especially if the dog/child is well behaved.  If your dog runs up to me and jumps on me, game over.  I don't like dogs, I'm allergic, and the jumping on me is kind of frightening.

And, there are definitely circumstances where you don't bring your kids or dogs.  If you're going shopping and buying lots of clothes, don't bring your dog!  I'm not going to chase it if it runs out of the dressing room while you are naked.  Kids are problems too.  I had one day at work where a kid knocked a whole (heavy weighted) rack of clothes on him because he was trying to climb.  Then it's the store's fault because your child doesn't know how to behave.
2009-08-26 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2371390

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
ashort33 - 2009-08-26 10:27 AM

jazz82482 - 2009-08-26 8:13 AM
ashort33 - 2009-08-25 8:36 PM

***Rant ON***

Do not bring you little dog and his pillow to the home depot, or the mall, or the grocery store, or where ever you go.  Your precious will be okay at the house for a couple hours while you run errands.  I do not want your dog's nasty slobber and butt germs on my shopping cart!  For God's sake, if you to lavish that much attention on one of God's creatures, go adopt a child - there are thousands of children that could use a loving home!  It is a dog - an animal - it eats its own poop and drinks out of the toilet.  Dogs survived thousands of years without you ferrying it around like it was some baby.  Leave the mutt at home! 

***Rant OFF***

Thanks, I feel better now!

Dogs are technically allowed in some stores, as long as they are in control and on a leash. Too bad those same policies don't apply to children (the in control part....I suppose).

The same way you feel about dogs, some adults feel about little children- that the slobber-goop coming out of his orifices is NOT adorable- it's disgusting; he poops and pees in his own pants and vomits on himself after crawling around on the floor, picking up germs- so keep their grubby germy fingers away from me; keep him under control/on a leash- I don't want him walking into the back of my legs, or darting in front of my shopping cart while your talking on your phone/not paying attention; and for the love of god- make it stop screaming!!!!!!! 

We live in a free society. I am forced to deal with other people's children every time I go out of my house, and you are forced to deal with other people's dogs on that very rare occasion that you come across one in a store. You think children are adorable, I think dogs are adorable. 

You miss the point - dogs are animals.  Kids are human beings - there is a difference.

BTW - I will point out everyone slamming kids and public behavior on this board were once kids themselves.

My post was not intended to slam kids at all!! What did I say that is untrue of children's behavior? Yeah, I know I was a kid, and I slobbered, vomited, ate dirt and pooped my pants and then touched shopping carts   And my mom loved every minute of it!

I don't hate kids- most of them are very well behaved and cute.  My point was not the merits and difference between kids vs. dogs- it was that the things that you are ranting about and that upset you about dogs in stores can apply to children as well- germs, disruption, slober, etc. You see an overwhelming difference between a kid and a dog, whereas to me, the difference isn't as significant. 

I've decided to raise a dog and not a kid for a variety of reasons, and so I have devoted the time and patience to training her, and have a great deal of affection for her. Since I've chosen NOT to have kids, I do not want to be disrespected and scorned because I choose to bring my dog in a store where she is ALLOWED (not the grocery store!). My dog in the store does not interfere with YOUR life any more than your kid in the store.

BTW- I have a 45lb dog, who does not have a pillow, or a stroller, and does not go in a shopping cart
2009-08-26 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2371374

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
dontracy - 2009-08-26 10:22 AM

Marvarnett -

If people spent as much time training their children as I do my dog, I may very well agree with you.  Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case.

Dan, I agree with you.

I just would't blame the children for the sins of their parents.

At the other extreme are people who treat their children as if they are pets. Equally problamatic.

So no leash laws for kids?   (It's a joke!!)

Edited by jazz82482 2009-08-26 9:57 AM
2009-08-26 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2371374

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
dontracy - 2009-08-26 10:22 AM

Marvarnett -

If people spent as much time training their children as I do my dog, I may very well agree with you.  Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case.

Dan, I agree with you.

I just would't blame the children for the sins of their parents.

At the other extreme are people who treat their children as if they are pets. Equally problamatic.

Amen Brother!  (pun intended)
2009-08-26 10:29 AM

User image

Elite
Reno

to the OP - is the problem for you sanitation and public nuisance or is it people's apparent preference of dogs over children?

I prefer other peoples' dogs to other peoples' children.  There, I said it.

2009-08-26 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2371332

User image

Extreme Veteran
Buford GA
Marvarnett - 2009-08-26 10:08 AM
dontracy - 2009-08-26 9:47 AM

jazz82482 -

We live in a free society... You think children are adorable, I think dogs are adorable. 

Most of those annoying children will grow up to be the productive members of a society that will hopefully remain free, which is something that my Hungarian Vizsla, as cute as she is, will never do.

Some children won't grow to be productive members for various reasons, but still are due the respect every human person has the right to for the simple reason that they are human.

I think it takes a family to raise a child, not a village. At the same time none of us live as an island and we have some responsibility to all children in our society.

Children are our future.

Dogs are our pets.

Don,

I see where you are going and I would add:

In some states, it takes 3 home visits and a long background check before one can adopt a pound dog.  But anyone can have a kid.  Hummm... me thinks there is a problem with that.

You haven't logged your dog training so we can't really make a fair assessment.

Are the 3 home visits really a state thing or just by shelter? When I adopted my dog they just came to my house with her to check on it and I did have to fill out paperwork for a but they said they never did a background check. They even didn't call my property manager on my request since you are only allowed one pet and this would be 3 (2 cats already), said I would move which I would if they found out not give the dog back. The property manager has seen me several times with the dog and even just renewed my lease no questions asked.   I did drop the whole GF is a zoo keeper thing though which probably helped let them know i wasn't the next michael vick.
2009-08-26 10:47 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Andy - I'm right there with you bud.
2009-08-26 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
My wife and I have 3 dogs and 3 cats.  All rescued.  No clothes on the pets, only collars with name tags, no visiting stores with us.  Nightly walks for the dogs.  Lots of vacuuming each week and the dogs get bathed once a month.

Side note-I'm more concerned with those people who do not wash their hands after using a public bathroom and then handling shopping carts, store items, etc.  More wide spread than a little dog sitting in a shopping cart at the store.
2009-08-26 11:10 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
I thought about adding "... except when needed to stay warm/ for health and med reasons" but didn't.

There is a difference, IMO, between a greyhound wearing a jacket (b/c they are all muscle and bone and have trouble staying warm in the winter), and a little dog wearing a tutu.
2009-08-26 11:12 AM

User image

Austin, TX
I confess, I take my well-behaved 70lb boxer and my well-behaved one year old to stores and outdoor restaurant/bar patios.  It's good socialization.
I love Austin - a lot of stores/restaurants have special doggy water bowls for their furry guests.

2009-08-26 1:00 PM

Master
Colorado

DC is the same way- lots of places welcome dogs. And FWIW, I'll bring my dog with me anywhere I can. I like hanging out with him and he seems to enjoy the socialization. Pretty sure I'm not lonely either. If that upsets you and causes you to rant... well I really don't care

2009-08-26 2:32 PM

User image

I love dogs and have two of them myself but they are pets... not fashion accessories.
2009-08-26 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2371605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA

bootygirl - 2009-08-26 11:29 AM

I prefer other peoples' dogs to other peoples' children.  There, I said it.

Why do you hate America's children?

2009-08-27 10:44 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
I understand that kids are humans and Dogs are, well, dogs...but I don't like most kids. Especially if they have not been raised properly. I understand that all kids are going to act out sometime, but sometimes you can tell that they are just out of control (4 kids of varying ages all climbing on top of the closed check out counter, in full view of the mother, who did nothing, not even telling them no. A store clerk had to come over and talk to the mother, who said that she didn't discipline her children because it hurt their creative growth. OMG!). I love animals...all animals, and often think that they are the true future of this planet, and not us, and I think often times their love is more pure than anything we experience. But that being said, I don't think dressing them up is good...and they shouldn't go into every store. If the store allows it, great. If not...then don't. And a dog is not jewelry.
2009-08-27 11:08 AM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Whether it's pets or kids, it's about controlling them and respecting those around you.

My three Golden Retrievers love going to Home Depot and Lowe's (I do a lot of DIY stuff, so I go a lot). They get treats and attention and get a whole store of interesting smells. All three of them don't go unless both my wife and I go. None of them go if I'm getting lumber or other large items that would make it difficult to handle them. They only come along if I know that I'll have the ability to control them. Not that they need much. That's the other reason they're allowed to come along: they're mellow and well behaved. They don't strain at the leash trying to get to people, they don't bark, they don't jump up. They just tag along at my side wagging their tails and giving a sniff towards people that pass by. If I'm stopped looking at stuff, they'll generally sit or just flop down on the floor, since they love the cool concrete. I make sure they're not blocking the aisle when they do.

I respect the people around me by controlling the dogs, just as I did with my kids when they were younger.

2009-08-27 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2374038

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
dgunthert - 2009-08-27 9:08 AM  ... I respect the people around me by controlling the dogs, just as I did with my kids when they were younger.

Exactly.  I remember being a kid and doing some stupid stuff...but I also remember that when we were out in public we were suppose to be well behaved.  If we were not...if we thru a tantrum, we were taken out of the store and punished in some way.  Over all, we were good kids and grew up being respectful of those around us.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Pets Rant Rss Feed  

of 2