General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing an IM with your spouse Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-25 10:04 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: Racing an IM with your spouse
I'm doing my first IM - WI in 2.5 weeks.  Also racing is hubby, it's his second IM.  I'm sure there are BTers who have done this - any tips?  He'll be quite a bit (!) faster than me.  Is there a way he can figure out, once he finishes, where I am on the course?  We can guess on our times until the cows come home, but they are just guesses.  His will be more accurate - he's done this before!  11:09 at Canada last year.

We're traveling to WI from CA, so we'll have no fans onsite to help with this.  Did you set up a place to meet ahead of time?  Contingency plans if issues arise?  Any feedback would be great - I'm sure I'm not even thinking of all the questions!

2009-08-25 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2370814

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
Subject: RE: Racing an IM with your spouse

I have never done IM Moo so take this with a grain of salt.

IM Moo is a 2-Loop run course with lots of out and backs.  Chances are that you and your husband will pass each other at least once on the run.  When this happens he should be able to get an idea of where you are at and how long he will have to wait to see you finish.  You should also have a back up meeting plan in case you miss each other on the run.

2009-08-26 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2370830

I too am doing my first IM with my hubby in 3 weeks. I'm assuming we will pass on the run so I'll have an idea of how far ahead of me he is and me behind him. That having been said,  I looked for him for over an hour at the end of CaptexTri, it was huge and hard to find him. If you think He'll be that much ahead of you make sure he has a room key to shower and come back and be very specific as the where you will meet. Nothing is worse than being tired looking for your spouse in such a crowded event!

I'd also say set a certain time that if you do not meet by that time, you'll met at the hotel.....It would stink for him not to see you finish but that may not be reality...
2009-08-26 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Are you staying close to race site?

I think having him have a cell phone after he finishes would help. He could call someone to update him via on line IM tracking system what is your last split and where that puts you.

Also you could ask a fan or two along the route to call him say when you are 5 miles from the finish to give him an idea when you might finish. At IMFL when I was spectating a women yelled out anyone have a cell phone. I said yes and she asked me to call her husband to tell him that she was xxx distance from finish. They had little kids and he couldn't wait at the finish line to long.

Having a plan and a back up plan or two is probably the best idea.
2009-08-26 8:49 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Haven't done the H/W thing, but definitely get a contingency plan worked out in case either of you has a problem.  If you've been part of the BT racetalk forum, maybe enlist a BT'er family or race volunteer as part of your backup (including retrieving two bikes and two sets of transition gear).  If something major happens, you and he may both want to go to the hospital and not worry about your stuff. 

I suppose, you could each carry your cellphone during the bike/run.  (Maybe write some instructions on the back of your race number. )  You can text each other if something causes you to be significantly off your expected finish time. 

2009-08-26 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Did an IM/HIM combo earlier this month with my wife (first IM for me, first HIM for her)...we passed each other on the course almost exactly where I predicted.  There's no good way to predict up front unless you have a solid sense of what your pace is likely to be throughout (and expected transition times)...if you do, then it's pretty much just math.  In our case, I missed on my prediction of my wife's finish by 15 minutes...but I was 15 min. behind my prediction for when I'd get out of T2, so it all worked out.

Good luck to both of you!  You'll have a great day, no matter how it turns out.

2009-08-26 8:54 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Will he be able to get to his cell phone or some Internet access after the finish?
If yes, he can use his phone (most basic cell phones have some rudimentary Web browsing) or a Web terminal to enter your bib# on the Ironman site and see which chip mats you have crossed. Then he will know how much time he has before you finish.
2009-08-27 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
You'll see him out on the course. I raced with 2 friends who are both faster than me and saw both of them twice on the run. They were able to estimate how long it would be before I finished and were there waiting for me close to the finish...,
2009-08-27 9:02 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I'll be doing an IM with my husband this year at Cozumel.  Usually I get out of the water first and he passes me on the bike and finishes the run before me- when we do races as just one mass start because it's a small race.  And then he passes me within the first few miles of the bike.

Cozumel is a double loop out and back bike and run course.  So for us it shoudl be fairly easy to figure out where each other is on the course.  Which is a good thing because we are going down there alone so we won't have anyone else spectating to keep track of us and let us know.  I am thinking that we'll be close on the IM swim and once we get to the turnaround on the first lap of the bike we should figure out who is where.  Same with the run course.

I think it's easier when you have double loop courses to know.  And when you see him on the course you can let him know how you're feeling and if you think you maintain your pace or if you'll slow up some.  That should give him a good idea.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing an IM with your spouse Rss Feed