Hammerheads Tri Club
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 29m 24s
Overall Rank = 47/300
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/27
Pre-race routine:

We got up early...wanted to be in transition way before we needed to be so we could get a good rack spot. Pete's was right in front of the bike out, mine was in the middle. I took my usual pre-race supplements, but definitely didn't eat enough. I drank a bunch of Gatorade, but still...not enough calories for the effort I was about to put out.
Event warmup:

None really...talked to Sharon (snikpos) a bit, saw Bob (ropkins) before we started. We just kinda tried to focus and realize today was a tune-up for Pete...and a fun day for me...well, no, not really...it was my A-race for the year...so I was nervous. I wanted to do well, I wanted to PR and moreover, I wanted that PR to be on the hardest course I race all year. Lofty goals.
Swim
  • 29m 47s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was NOT 1500m. Someone with a 310XT said it was long by at least 100m. Last week I swam 1800yds (about 1680m) in 30 minutes...and I was NOT even winded. This pace was WAY over that, and I had lots of clear water to swim in...no traffic, no chop, no current. No way did I swim a 30 minute 1500. It was at least 1600 to 1700.

I was wearing a speedsuit...which, admittedly, was probably too tight cuz it was kinda hard to breathe...it pressed hard on my stomach which made me a bit nauseous. Other than that though, my pace was good and strong, I felt good. Breathing and sighting were great.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...this was the most comfortable and strong swim I've had all year...I think this was closer to a half iron swim than an Olympic distance swim. Kinda disappointed, but there's nothing I'd do differently.
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

2:36 transition time includes run from beach, around transition, into transition and actual transition time.

I took off my speedsuit top as I ran out of the water, and stripped the rest of it as I got to my bike. It was off in a flash, as were my cap and goggles. I just threw on my helmet, shoes (no socks), and sunglasses...unracked the bike, and went. No problems.

Nothin...flawless transition...probably my best all year.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 6s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.56 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a great bike today. Probably even a bit too fast. I hacked up a bit of Gatorade on the first lap, probably a by-product of feeling nauseous on the swim. But that was over quickly. I definitely didn't eat/drink enough on the bike. I took a gel at Mile 13 and had one aerobottle full of Gatorade thru the entire bike leg. Bad Q. Bad example to my athletes...don't race like this!!

Still though, picked up a bunch of spots here, got passed by a few of the super fast cyclists.

I knew coming in to T2 that my run was gonna suck. I was dehydrated, I was tired, my legs were on fire. UGH.

Drink/eat more. My pace was too hard for the amount of nutrition I had with me. It's not that I'd go less hard, I really should have planned for better bike nutrition.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Perfect T2. Less than a minute in to out. Just threw off the bike stuff and put on running shoes and race belt. I was already feeling really pukey again though, so I knew the run was gonna be a challenge. But I just put one foot in front of the other, took two cups of water as I left the transition area, and went on my way.

Nothing.
Run
  • 50m 17s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Usually I'm in the top 3 or 4 on the run. This was NOT my best run. It wasn't the course...it was my nutrition that kept me from doing well here.

Pure hell. It was hot...I knew I was dehydrated, I probably wasn't absorbing anything. As I left transition I took two cups of water and immediately felt nauseous again (seeing a pattern here??). I got to Mile 1 in 7:30, Mile 2 in 15:02, but then...pukage. Took a swig of water and Gatorade and it happened. I spent about 20 seconds throwing up, then continued. Got up the big hill at Mile 3, took some water, got to the turnaround, ran back to the aid station, more water...more pukage. That's three times for the day. I was ready to just quit. I already "knew" my 2:29 was out of reach so I thought... I'll just slow down and maybe I'll still PR the course (went 2:32 last year). But no, I had to keep going. At Mile 5 I had 12 minutes to go 1.2 miles so I thought...ok that's 10 minute pace, I KNOW I can keep that. BARELY. I had absolutely nothing left. My body wasn't absorbing anything, there was water sloshing in my stomach. At the "1/2 mile to go" sign, I started cursing the sport of Triathlon for sucking me in to this lifestyle!! But I was at 2:25 and I figured, OK, at 8 minute pace, it's less than 4 minutes. It took most of that to get to the finish area...when I saw the clock, it said 2:29:02 and I was about 40 yards from the finish...I said alot "fuck it...I'm not sprinting".

I crossed the line at 2:29:24 and immediately just about fell over. Race done.

As far as the run itself, nothing. I did the best I could with the condition I was in. There was no way to bring back my nutrition at the start of the run, so I had to just do what I could.
Post race
Warm down:

I tried as hard as I could to get water in my and ON me...but they were running out of water. I took a water bottle that I saw on the ground and filled it up with the melted ice in the water cooler...it was full of dirt but I didn't care. I just swigged it, dumped it, swigged it, etc.

I was extremely dehydrated, core temp was way over 100, and I couldn't see or breathe. Jeff Parr had to help me up a few times. I threw up a fourth time I think...I can't really remember.

Yeah I PR'ed the course AND the distance but I definitely didn't race smart. Part of me thinks I should have DNF'd. I think I came pretty close to needing an IV.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My stupidity in not making a solid nutrition plan for the effort I gave. This was fine nutrition for a training day, but for race day, it was probably only half to a third of the calories I needed. WHAT IDIOT DOES AN OLYMPIC TRIATHLON ON 500 CALORIES?!?!?!?!

Event comments:

Other than running out of water at the finish line (it was 95 degrees dammit...how can you run out of water?!?!), the race is always great. It's one of my favorite races of all time. That's why I go torture myself in the heat there every year. Since I went 2:29 there, I feel like I don't need to go back now, but Idunno...I might be able to do better next year...

Last updated: 2009-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:47 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/27
Overall: 80/300
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Speedsuit over my tri suit
Course: Rectangular.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:06 | 24.85 miles | 22.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/27
Overall: 42/300
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops...lots of hills on the first half...a few but mostly flat on the second half. Times two.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:17 | 06.21 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/27
Overall: 8/300
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back with a few hills. BIG hill at Mile 3. LONG hill at Mile 4.5.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-31 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon

H.O.T. marked the end of my 2009 Triathlon Season.  On to marathons and ultras til next year!!

Edited by Q 2009-08-31 4:22 PM

2009-08-31 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2381193

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon
And you want to talk to me about my nutrition for my race this weekend?  Kidding of course   Nice job out there.  I'm amazed that you still PR'ed with all that puking!!!  Only you can do that!
2009-08-31 9:53 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Nice job Q. It was a hard hot day out there for sure. And yes, you did get pukage a 4th time. After a couple dry heaves then you got some liquid up.
2009-08-31 10:31 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Way to gut it out!

2009-09-01 10:15 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
You are still a God in my book...And at least you know what went wrong...usually I don't have a nutrition plan at all...no wonder I bonk so quickly.
2009-09-01 6:46 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Yes food and fluids are important...esp in Sauna I mean Florida......silly boy.  Great job tho

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed