World Triathlon Corporation / Trisport North
20C / 68F
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 40m 25s
Overall Rank = 982/1335
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 156/186
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Huntsville the day before. My wife and kids went down to Deerhurst to check in my bike and to pick up the race kit. We had to park 4km away at the airport. My wife and kids took the bus into the resort - I rode my bike down into the resort. As I rode on on it, I noticed a strange clicking sound coming from my front weel... nothing was obviously worng, so I ignored it (*** This is what Mrs.McKenna, my grade 8 english teacher, would have called literary irony ***)
Event warmup:

Worke up at 6. Had some toast, coffee and juice at the motel and drove down to Deerhurst. Took my sweet time setting up transition. I arrived at the swim start 5 minutes before the start so I had no chance to warm up.

As I lined up to start, and the announcer ticked off the seconds to start I shook with nerves.
Swim
  • 43m 42s
  • 1932 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

25 meters into the swim my right goggle seal failed and my contact slipped off. Not the start I visualized. It took me a minute to fix the goggle and to wiggle the contact les back onto my eye.
The rest of the swim went better than I could have imgagined. I was frutrated with my stupiditiy for not warming up and testing the goggles - this kept my mind occupied and I was no longer nervous about the actual swim.

At the end of the swim, I crawled out onto the green golf course grass and found a pair of free wet-suit strippers. Two over-zelaus teenaged boys. They grabbed my DeSoto T1 Black Pearl suit and yanked. Too enthusiastically. They ripped the entire back pannel and one shoulder strap off. At the same time my left calf muscle cramped into a solid rock. I lay on the fairway writhing in pain trying to unlock my muscle. A few minutes later, with a trashed wetsuit and leaky goggles, I was hobbling the 400 meters uphill toward the transition.
What would you do differently?:

- Swim 100m to warm up and test all my swim gear.
- Drink more water and have a banana to prevent cramps
- not use the strippers - take the extra 10 seconds and peel off my suit myself.
Transition 1
  • 07m 17s
Comments:

I have no idea why T1 took so long. I guess the time must include the run from the water to the T1 zone.
I did go slowly and methodically getting ready for the bike.
The smartest thing I did was to grab a bunch of tissues for the bike ride.
Bike
  • 3h 19m 20s
  • 94 kms
  • 28.29 km/hr
Comments:

I decided to take it easy on this ride. I am a gravitationally challenged person (i.e. 200lbs on a 5'11" frame) and ride a tri-bike that loves only flats.
20km into the race, just as the worst of the initial hills starts to end, I hear a pop and then clinking sounds. I stop and find a front spoke bent out. I remove the offending spoke and keep riding. My front wheel now has a noticable wobble.
45km into the ride I hit a dropped power-bar. A few seconds later a second spoke goes. I was now riding out of my aero-bars. At 65km I lost a third spoke. By now my front wheel looks like the face of a hockey player with missing teeth. The tire is so wobbly that I had to disconnect my front brake cable. All 3 spokes failed on one side of the wheel - I figured the next spoke failure will collapse the front wheel and send me headfirst into DNF. I was terrified. All I could think about was how much I wanted that stupid FINISHER's T-shirt, hat and medal. I saw a number of riders on the side of the road with terminal mechanical problems - I did not want to be one of them.

I rode the last 30km at Mary Poppins spped, avoiding any pressure on the front weel, dodging all uneven bumps and cracks. Somehow I made it to T2. My speed on the last 30km must have been under 20km/hr.

I had never been so happy to start a run...

Get my bike professionally tuned and inspected beforehand.

Transition 2
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

Took it easy. I still could not believe it that I made it off the bike without the wheel giving out.
Run
  • 2h 26m 9s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 56s  min/km
Comments:

I was doing fine until the 13km mark (averaging about 6 min/km). then I bloinked. My calves cramped up and I could not run without them cramping into solid balls. Even a cafinated gel pack could not help.
I walked / shuffled the last 5km.

Train more.
Post race
Warm down:

Played with kids. Ate post-race pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mechanical problems cost me about 20 mins.
Not enough training - particularly running.

Event comments:

Since this was my first HIM, I did set a PERSONAL BEST just by finishing.
Next year I'll be looking to smash that time.

Last updated: 2009-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:42 | 1932 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 140/186
Overall: 966/1335
Performance: Good
Suit: T1 Black Pearl (RIP)
Course: Single loop that ends a few hundred meters from where it started, mostly in a sheltered bay of Penninsula lake. Nice simple course that sticks fairly close to shore (good for us weaker swimmers). One leg (between the 600m and 850m buoys) does go out of the bay into the open lake, so there was a little chop. At about 1600m there is a short stretch that is only 75cm deep - you can actually walk for 50m.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:19:20 | 94 kms | 28.29 km/hr
Age Group: 148/186
Overall: 862/1335
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Long loop around Lake of Bays. First 20km is nothing but hills. Last 20km is nothing but hills. Middle 50km is only mostly hills. The weather was cloudy and cool. My nose was runny so the kleenexes were a life saver.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:26:09 | 21.1 kms | 06m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 156/186
Overall: 1063/1335
Performance: Below average
Course: A combo of out-and-back and loop. Some moderate hills. First 13km on roads, 5km on paved trails, and last 3 on road again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-15 11:18 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: Muskoka Ironman 70.3

2009-09-17 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2408874

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Muskoka Ironman 70.3
Congrats on finishing.  It was an awfully tough course, and your mechanical could not have helped.  Nice job getting through the last portion of the run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muskoka Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed