World Triathlon Corporation / Trisport North
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 535/1335
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 82/186
Pre-race routine:

Woke up really early, had some food, visited the washroom a few times and then headed off to the course. Got there in plenty of time, so I was able to start getting myself setup, relax, and just get rid of the prerace jitters.
Event warmup:

None today - figured I'd be busy enough all day.
Swim
  • 41m 44s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Let's see, I got punched and lost my goggles about 30 seconds into the swim, and then got elbowed and lost them again about 500M further along. I also found that I was getting run over a fair bit, people just choose not to give you any room. I come up on other swimmers, I'm trying really hard to give them (and me) some space. I don't see this being reciprocated enough.

Anyway, I told myself to just take it easy, find a good rythym and pace and not worry about the time. This worked pretty well and I felt comfortable for most of the swim, until I started to see yellow swim caps (the next wave) pass by me. I expected to see some, but it felt like 1/2 the wave caught me. By the time I exited the water there was more yellow than red around me.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Overall I'm quite pleased with the swim. It's my worst discipline, and I know that at best I'm occasionally MOP, but most of the time I'm BOP.
Transition 1
  • 04m 24s
Comments:

T1 is long because you've got about a 3-500M run uphill to get to transition. I hadn't planned on using the strippers, but once I came out the water I figured why not, and my suit was off within a couple of seconds. As for the run to transition, I actually ran. I'd expected to walk, but I managed a jog.

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 3h 11m 18s
  • 94 kms
  • 29.48 km/hr
Comments:

I told myself from the beginning - this was about being conservative. I tend to like pushing myself uphills, and even though I took it easy I still passed lots of people going up - but they invariably flew past me on the way back down. Being in the first non-pro wave meant that I spent over 3 hours being passed on the bike, which was definetly a bit frustrating.

I was surprised to feel a bit fatigued around km 60-65 when we turned on Bremner. I had to take it easy for the last 30km, but even still my quad tried to cramp on mewith about 5km to go. This is the same thing that happened a few weeks ago when it completely seized during a ride, so I backed off a further notch and just got myself to transition in one piece.

Nothing. Considering the game plan was to ride conservative, I was happy with my time and I think we definetly had some help from the wind for part of the course.
Transition 2
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

I forgot to take off my shoes. As I got within about 100M of the line I suddenly realized and managed to get one foot out but the other was still in my show when I got to the line. So I had to take the shoe off and run with it in my hand.

Took the time to visit the port a potty because I ddin't want to stop on the course. Even though I lost time doing it, it was definetly the right choice.

Not zone out and get my foot out my shoe in time.
Run
  • 1h 55m 58s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 30s  min/km
Comments:

The run saved my day, even though it wasn't a great performance. Around km 7 I was forced to walk for the first time. I wasn't cramping or anything, I'd just run out of steam. Up till then I'd been managing about a 5min/km pace, but this dropped pretty rapidly from then on. I sort of yo yoed between running and occasionally walking. Seeing others doing it seemed to validate that it was ok - I wish I hadn't, but the legs told me it was necessary.

With about 6km left I developed a pain in my knee that rapidly got worse. It got to the point that I was stressing I'd need to walk the last few km. Between walking and running I got to the finish line, and seeing the last hill with all the people cheering was great motivation.

Running down the finish line and seeing that I was going to break 6 hours, even though I'd walked was incredibly rewarding, and validated the months of training to get there. I don't think I could have had a better day when I consider everything. It was a nice icing on the cake.

I should have been taking more fluids and some gels during the run. This would probably have helped.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down, just some very light stretching. Although I walked with a limp for the next 2 days because of my knee. I couldn't even bend it 45 degrees.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Where I am as a triathlete. The run always helps me a bit, but I really need to do better in the swim and bike sections.

Event comments:

Incredibly great venue, great support, brilliant volunteers. During the run I said I would never do this again. 4 days later I'm thinking about next year.

Last updated: 2008-12-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:44 | 2000 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 119/186
Overall: 782/1335
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen pipeline
Course: Funny shaped rectangle that has you finishing in a different section of the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:11:18 | 94 kms | 29.48 km/hr
Age Group: 116/186
Overall: 658/1335
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: One big hilly loop. You start off on N. Portage and that tends to have some ups and downs, and one poor patch of road. Once you turn left on S. Portage then the rollers continue until you get out to Hwy 35. Again, there are no real flat sections, but climbs are more gradual rather than short and steep. Once you turn off 117 you face a few hills, and then onto S. Portage where the gills really hit you at the end of the ride - the same is tru of N. Portage.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:55:58 | 21.1 kms | 05m 30s  min/km
Age Group: 65/186
Overall: 449/1335
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back with a plenty of rollers and some good hills on the way out. The back portion take you along the Fairy Trail, which was tough since it has little dips and rises and turns to it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-17 8:37 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Muskoka Ironman 70.3

2009-09-17 11:06 PM
in reply to: #2412867

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: RE: Muskoka Ironman 70.3
Nicely run race Neil. Congrats on breaking the 6hr barrier.
For 24 hrs after the race I swore I would never do this again - but now I too am thinking of signing up again.
2009-09-18 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2412867

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Congrats on your race!  That's an excellent accomplishment, and you did the right thing with walking.  Excellent run time - especially with walking some!
2009-09-18 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2414126

Great race report...wish I had the run that you had
Congrats on a tough course!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muskoka Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed