las vegas, NV
110!F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 3s
Overall Rank = 39/76
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

i was the first one to the transition area because of my compulsive earliness, so did a lot of milling about. i set up my spot, drank some water and ate a peach (the allman brothers said to! haha). my nutrition and hydration were really strange because this race started at 4pm!! i don't know if i ate/drank too much or not enough, but i do know it was beastly hot!! i ended up going for a swim an hour before the race just to cool off.
Event warmup:

didn't stretch a damn bit, but i did wander around a lot and met a bunch of really nice people.
Swim
  • 11m 8s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

i could have worn my wetsuit, but i didn't because i couldn't imagine fighting my way into it. most people didn't wear theirs. everyone in the entire race started at once/mass start. it sucked and i got the crap kicked out of me. once the pack thinned out it got better. i breated every stroke and never settled into the swim like i have in other races. i really pushed it toward the end and realized that i could have done much better. i'm still out of practice for this season, and i think that will improve with time. the swim actually went very fast and i didn't find myself concentrating like i should have.
What would you do differently?:

start further to the left corner and get my head together better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

i wear my running shoes for the bike because i haven't upgraded to nice pedals and shoes. so, when i got to t1 i briefly dried my feet, put on socks and shoes. a man and a woman (spectators) standing nearby chastised me for 1. drying my feet and 2. putting on socks. i know it sounds silly, but socks stick to wet feet. i thought i was being efficient, but the peanut gallery thought otherwise.

ask them to buy me pedals and shoes so this never comes up again.
Bike
  • 48m 29s
  • 9.8 miles
  • 12.13 mile/hr
Comments:

oh. my. god. by the time the bike segment rolled around my gatorade/water mixture had been outside for about 2 1/2 hours and was at least 100 degrees, thus undrinkable! i grabbed water or cytomax at the stations, but i mostly spilled it on the volunteers. i knew i wasn't drinking enough, but i couldn't get enough fluids into myself. i did take some gu on two occasions thinking that may help.

this bike course was really hard! there was one hill that i was going up at 5mph and i thought my quads were going to rip themselves from my legs and roll back down the hill. i am quite proud of myself, though, because i didn't stop! i have not done a lot of biking yet this season, so it stands to reason that the hills killed me. i don't know whether to say this was a below average or bad ride, because i did well for the training that i've done.

bring a cooler for the drinks and train more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

the volunteers were handing out water and wet towels, so i did dawdle a bit because i was dying! i forgot to take a gu with me on the run, but i'm thinking it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

bring the gu.
Run
  • 45m 32s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 14m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

i walked most of the run and it appeared that everyone else did too. about a half mile in i realized that i was severly dehydrated and tried to 'fix it' at the water station, but i think it was too late. i was hardly sweating at all and i was continually getting the chills and goosebumps. i decided not to push it and walked up the two big hills. i was able to open it up a little on the downhill and by that time i had about three cups of water and two cups of cytomax. i don't know if it helped, but i looked really good crossing the finish line. people told me i looked strong and i said thanks, omitting the fact that i took a walk and jogged a little!

i'm not sure what else i could have done.
Post race
Warm down:

i got my finishers medal and drank a few glasses of water. then i dragged my ass back down to the dock and went for a swim because i was SOOOO HOT!! after that, i just walked around and chatted some more with people that i met...one of whom was AmINuts, a fellow BT'er! he finished his first race today in a blaze of glory! i also met a girl named erin who's a lurker. she said she comes on here to read the articles!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

THE HEAT!!!

Event comments:

the race started about fifteen minutes late and it was a little hectic. it was the promoter's first race and i think he did an okay job. he's doing a whole series, so we'll see how the next one goes. i already know that it starts in the morning, so that's an improvement right there. he said that he had researched the weather on this date for the last decade and that the average high was 87 degrees.

they had a local news anchorwoman announcing people as they came into t1, t2 and the finish. i announced to more than one person that "nina radetich said my name!!!!"

Last updated: 2005-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:08 | 800 meters | 01m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 7/76
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri top and tri shorts.
Course: it was a big triangle. 300m out, 200m left and 300m back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:29 | 9.8 miles | 12.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: the bike course was about a five mile loop which you completed twice. hills, hills, hills! there were three large hills, which appeared to last for six to seven miles each. there were some areas where the terrain was a little rough due to construction.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:32 | 03.2 miles | 14m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/7
Performance: Bad
Course: ran three miles of the bike course because we hadn't had enough of it yet! :( you know, just the hilly part.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-23 6:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
Subject: sunset triathlon #1

2005-05-23 6:20 PM
in reply to: #162112

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: sunset triathlon #1
I dried my feet too   If that's what you wanna do, do it!  Tell those lazy butts to go run the thing then heckle!
2005-05-24 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Nice job under extreme conditions......4pm race in Vegas????? What were the race directors thinking?  And don't worry about the feet drying, I do it to in T1...and remember that the people heckling you were too damn lazy to even do the reace....what do they know??
2005-05-24 6:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
okay, the times are on here now.  they're the craziest times i've ever had!  i'm pretending this race never happened!!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » sunset triathlon #1 Rss Feed