United States
City Tri
70F / 21C
Total Time = 5h 46m 57s
Overall Rank = 70/240
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 13/29
Pre-race routine:

Picked up packet day before. Small race but long drive. Transition was not set up so I couldn't do my normal day before walk through. Did drive the bike course and attend the meeting. Got home in 1hr 15min. In bed by 8:30

Woke up at 3:44, one minute before the alarm. Got up, showered, coffee, the usual race day breakfast (English muffin, honey, PB & banana), kid droppage a couple of times and on the road before 5:00.

There was heavy fog on the AC expressway and I slowed under 50 mph a few times. Should have been 1:15 or less, took about 1:30. Driving in dark dense fog at 5 in the morning didn't help the race day nerves.

Waited in traffic about 20 mins to get in the park (pee'd by the side of the road) but got a great parking spot once we got in.
Event warmup:

Got transition set up, scoped out all the ins and outs, drop off the kids again and waited. And waited. Sprint was supposed to start at 7:00. They started about 7:30. Once all their waves were done we got a pre-race course briefing which took way too long.

I was able to get in a good swim warm up and jogged for a bit. I was in the 2nd of 3 waves. Not sure what time we actually started but it was after 8:30.
Swim
  • 39m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt really good on the swim. Great rhythm, no banging bodies, smooth stroke. I didn't push the HR too much but I felt faster than 1:55. I stopped once to cough up some phlegm that I couldn't work up without stopping. I am able to sort of hack up and swim at the same time but this one was stubborn.

Passed some in the wave ahead, got passed by some in the wave behind.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go even harder. I have gotten into the habit of not pushing too hard on the swim so I can keep my breathing under control and not get my HR too high. Could be time to step it up a bit.
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Wetsuit got stuck on left leg with the timing strap.

I did have a lot to do here; suit off, Garmin on, jersey on (I wanted the warmth and the pockets), nutrition in said pockets, and shoes on (too much sand!)

Have a bento box to keep nutrition and skip the jersey.
More aggressive on suit removal
Bike
  • 2h 51m 35s
  • 58 miles
  • 20.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I went too fast. Period. Didn't leave enough for the run. Even though I managed 20+ over 58 miles which seems liked a great bike split for me, as has been said there is no such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run.

There was a bottle exchange at the turn around. I was planning on picking up a water bottle. They had NO WATER. I was not happy and let out an F bomb (apologies to the volunteers). All they had was Heed and I have never used that. I wanted to use the water to help eat Clif blocks and shots. As a result I took in fewer calories and less water than I wanted.

I carried 1 GE bottle and 1 water bottle, 3 sleeves of Clif block, 2 Clif shots, and 2 Mocha w/caffeine shots diluted in a small bottle. Drank all fluids, ate 1.5 sleeves and finished the Mocha. I would have liked to have had the second water and one clif shot and maybe the other half sleeve of blocks.

I figure I took in about 420 cals in 2:50, including 24 oz of GE and 24 oz water. I would have liked maybe another 270 or so, with water to help dilute and digest the blocks and shots.

All that said, I felt pretty good on the bike for most of the race. Played leap frog with a couple of guys on the first loop; one I managed to drop for good, the other dropped me. I know I slowed some on the back half because I got passed by more folks than on the front half. One guy with 62 on his calf came flying by. He must be a really slow swimmer or was insanely fast and was on his second bike loop. I was a little surprised that I passed as many women as I did. It wasn't a lot, but all women were in the swim wave behind me so any who were in front of me on the bike came out of the water ahead of me. I'm sure there were quite a few women who passed me on the swim and I never saw them again. Most of the course was two way traffic except for a 5 mile loop. I thought I'd see the leaders coming back as I was going out but must have missed them on that one way section. Around mile 45 or so I really started to feel it and was ticking off the miles, counting down the time until I could stop. That's when I really knew I had gone too hard even though I felt good for the majority of the bike. It seemed like a bit of a dichotomy; I felt pretty good at a 20 mph pace, but should have been going easier. Got to get a handle on that one. It didn't "feel" that hard but obviously it was too much.

Slow down, train better, be self sufficient for nutrition, use a bento box instead of jersey pockets.
Transition 2
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Was planning to unclip and run in shoes because of all the sand but right shoe would not unclip so I got that foot out of my shoe just before I stopped. Had to get the left foot out at a stand still. Ran towards transition and saw my wife. I got a little choked up. She is so awesome and I could not do this without her.

Wow, I hurt. I stretched a little bit here. Got jersey off and had to kneel to get socks and run shoes on. I could not bend over! Put on race number and fuel belt w/4 bottles of GE. Didn't train with Heed so I wanted my GE. Had 3 gels in the pouch. Did I mention that my legs hurt?

Didn't press the right button on Garmin so I stopped it instead of lap (autosport mode)

Not go so hard on the bike so I could at least bend over to put on my shoes.
Run
  • 2h 10m 55s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Ouch.

I had little left in my legs. Walked a lot, stopped to stretch a couple of time. My left ankle which I rolled about 4 weeks ago started to really hurt from the off road sections. The uneven surface was not good for an injured ankle. I played leap frog with a few folks as I did my walk/run. I joked with one guy that I should just adopt his slow shuffle because we passed each other so many times.
I drank almost all my GE and a lot of water. Stopped at almost every station. Most of the volunteers were very encouraging and supportive. I Felt emotionally low at times but refused to give in. After mile 11 I decided I could not stop to walk again because starting up after walking was just too painful.
I did managed to suck it up, dig down deep and finish pretty strong. I had been pacing a guy with an M-Dot tat. He pulled away late as I slowed. I could see him pulling further away and I made it my goal to close the gap. I closed it and created another gap with him on the backside. After the race he congratulated me on a strong finish. That felt pretty good.

What also felt good was seeing my wife at the finish line. I feel so grateful for having her support me. She gets up early on race day, puts up with my craziness, rubs my sore muscles, washes my stinky clothes, just loves me and supports me unconditionally. She is Sherpa Extraordinaire!

Take it easy on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

I stopped moving. Period. Then I got the in cold lake. That was nice but in general I had a hard time moving due to my ankle and over all soreness in the legs. We got some food, I sat and ate, drank a lot of water and some Coke Zero. I hobbled to transition, packed up my gear, hobbled to the car (small race = close parking!!!) and we drove home. I stopped about an hour in at WaWa because I wanted some Joe.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ankle pain, bike too hard.
It's possible that I was under trained. I know I have been taking the run too lightly thinking that since I came from a running background I need less work there. Wrong! In the past I have done better against the field on the run compared to swim and bike. This race my run was worse compared to the field than the other legs.

Event comments:

Small race and disorganized in some regards but all in all it was good and the race site was very nice. Didn't like that there was no water at the only bottle exchange so even though there was plenty of water and food on the run course they got a NO for plenty of drink stations. The run course itself was a bit confusing and I really didn't like the rough trail section. They did have folks out there directing traffic which was nice but I did feel on my own a couple of times out there in the woods.

Last updated: 2009-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:01 | 2112 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/29
Overall: 81/240
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Ultra Full
Course: Rectangular, 2 loops. Not sure of water temp, but it was chilly. Lake was clear but shallow. Not too much vegetation but I did manage to get lake weeds on my goggles.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:51:35 | 58 miles | 20.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/29
Overall: 62/240
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop out and back. Very flat with a few turns. Mostly wide shoulders but on a 50 MPH road. Some rough pavement but some very smooth pavement too. One bridge with metal grate crossed 4 times. No issues with it at all. Wet in spots early but dried as the sun came out.
Road:   Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:53
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:10:55 | 13.2 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/29
Overall: 107/240
Course: 3 loops through the campsites; 5, 3, 5 again. Some off road on hard packed sand, some on loose sand, some in the woods like a trail run. mostly flat with a couple of small hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-10-06 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: Bassman Fall Half Ironman

2009-10-06 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2445086

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Bassman Fall Half Ironman
2009-10-06 5:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Nevada City with my BABY!

GREAT JOB! Nice RR too. I also raced this and feel that the race was very disorganized as well. I did not like the loops and loops and loops on the run course. I actually ran past a girl who had taken the a wrong turn and was back tracking. Felt bad for her. 

It was nice and flat but there were also a few places on the run where they could have used a volunteer to tell you where to go. At the end I passed a dude walking. We were 2 miles from the end and there was a round about you had to run around once you did you were at mile 12. Well the guy skipped that part completely and continued to the finish line....and he still calls himself a half ironman.....poor sportsmanship. He only had an extra .5 mile to walk.

Anyways...great write up! good job!!!

2009-10-06 6:01 PM

User image

Pro
Without house
Thanks for posting. I hope they get the organization together.  I'd be interesting in doing this one next year due to the location.
2009-10-09 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
SC
Congratulations on a great race!  Longer races can be quite the humbling experience.  You are out there long enough to go through quite the range of emotions.  Last year I bonked like a big dog during my first HIM.  I went out too hard on the bike.  This year I went back, rode my bike smarter (slower), and ran a strong (for me) HIM.  At least you know now how hard you SHOULD ride!  Congrats again on finishing strong, and I hope your ankle heals up quickly.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bassman Fall Half Ironman Rss Feed