General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-10-07 3:01 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
After hearing rave reviews about this book - from runners and nonrunners both - I bought it on audible and am currently listening to it, while - what else? - running

here's the review/ summary from Amazon:

Full of incredible characters, amazing athletic achievements, cutting-edge science, and, most of all, pure inspiration, Born to Run is an epic adventure that began with one simple question: Why does my foot hurt? In search of an answer, Christopher McDougall sets off to find a tribe of the world’s greatest distance runners and learn their secrets, and in the process shows us that everything we thought we knew about running is wrong.

Isolated by the most savage terrain in North America, the reclusive Tarahumara Indians of Mexico’s deadly Copper Canyons are custodians of a lost art. For centuries they have practiced techniques that allow them to run hundreds of miles without rest and chase down anything from a deer to an Olympic marathoner while enjoying every mile of it. Their superhuman talent is matched by uncanny health and serenity, leaving the Tarahumara immune to the diseases and strife that plague modern existence. With the help of Caballo Blanco, a mysterious loner who lives among the tribe, the author was able not only to uncover the secrets of the Tarahumara but also to find his own inner ultra-athlete, as he trained for the challenge of a lifetime: a fifty-mile race through the heart of Tarahumara country pitting the tribe against an odd band of Americans, including a star ultramarathoner, a beautiful young surfer, and a barefoot wonder.

With a sharp wit and wild exuberance, McDougall takes us from the high-tech science labs at Harvard to the sun-baked valleys and freezing peaks across North America, where ever-growing numbers of ultrarunners are pushing their bodies to the limit, and, finally, to the climactic race in the Copper Canyons. Born to Run is that rare book that will not only engage your mind but inspire your body when you realize that the secret to happiness is right at your feet, and that you, indeed all of us, were born to run.

2009-10-07 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2448161

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: RE: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
totally awesome book.. can't wait to read it again!
2009-10-07 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Highly recommend it.

2009-10-07 3:15 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Read it if you haven't
2009-10-07 3:49 PM

User image

Master
I have congrol malacia in my right knee, I have been working to build up my running will this book help and does it give enough information that a layman can apply these techniques? 
2009-10-07 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
Heard a lot about it, too, and am reading it now.

2009-10-07 4:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA

OK, everyone has to stop talking about it!  I've bought it for my very hard to buy for  hubby for Christmas and he keeps hearing about it everywhere. He'll be picking it up for himself before long, so shhhhh.  LOL

2009-10-07 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2448312

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
KiminON - 2009-10-07 4:00 PM

OK, everyone has to stop talking about it!  I've bought it for my very hard to buy for  hubby for Christmas and he keeps hearing about it everywhere. He'll be picking it up for himself before long, so shhhhh.  LOL

You are so organized.  Impressive.
2009-10-07 5:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
I can't wait to read this book - I'm actually number 94 of something like 114 holds on the book at the public library.
I've heard great things, but apparently so have 100 or so of my neighbors. Smile
2009-10-07 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2448286

User image

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

verga,

I'ts not really a "how to" kind of a book.  For the most part the book is entertaining storytelling.  But, one aspect of the book that has garnered significant attention is in regard to the relationship between running injures and modern running shoes.  The author lays out an intriguing case about how modern, cushioned, highly supportive running shoes may in fact be the primary culprit behind so many common running injuries.  It leads to a conclusion that perhaps running barefoot, or in minimalistic shoes that are close to barefoot, may very well help many people enjoy running more by getting injured less.

The book won't teach you everything you need to know to make a switch to barefoot or minimalistic running.  What it will do is entertain you, intrigue you, and possibly just cause you to rethink some very fundamental things you thought you knew about running.

Give it a read, see what you think.  If you come out the other side interested in changing your running footwear, and the way you run, there are lots of resources out there to help you learn how.

2009-10-07 5:51 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
I'm waiting for this to come out in paperback.

2009-10-07 7:11 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
I HIGHLY recommend the audiobook !! the story is easy to listen to and the narrator is great.
2009-10-07 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
It is a great book! Enjoy it!
2009-10-07 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Yup, great audio book. Took it out on a few runs and it was actually inspiring ;-)... Ok I was runnnig 3 miles instead of 50... but inspiring none the less.
2009-10-07 11:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. Texas
yep...GREAT book.  Have read it twice...so far.  Tried and then switched entirely to running in Vibram 5 fingers because of the info in this book.  Good Stuff!
2009-10-08 12:53 AM
in reply to: #2448470

New user

Steve in IL - For the most part the book is entertaining storytelling.  But, one aspect of the book that has garnered significant attention is in regard to the relationship between running injures and modern running shoes.  The author lays out an intriguing case about how modern, cushioned, highly supportive running shoes may in fact be the primary culprit behind so many common running injuries.  It leads to a conclusion that perhaps running barefoot, or in minimalistic shoes that are close to barefoot, may very well help many people enjoy running more by getting injured less.

I think the book has a lot of interesting material, but the science on the shoes sounds a little doubtful. Reviews of the book actually lie about the results of the Swiss study on 4000+ male runners. Here's the original paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3381988

"In 33 to 44 year olds (N = 1,757), the number of years of running was inversely related to incidence of injuries (P = 0.02). Injuries were not significantly related to race running speed, training surface, characteristics of running shoes, or relative weight."

Barefoot running is still an interesting concept and well worth trying. It'll probably help some and hurt others. I tried walking barefoot to work up to running barefoot and it just aggravated my achilles tendonosis (didn't know it was that at the time). I'd even bought injinji socks and a can of spray-on plasticene to make my own cheapo running soles like this guy!

http://ardydub.blogspot.com/2006/05/running-socks-my-previous-post.html

2009-10-08 11:47 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Any change in running style... will take a very long time to do safely.  So going from cushioned shoes with healstrike run to VFF shoes will be a big jump.  The shoes will make you strike more midfoot or even slightly forefoot and this will be a big mechanical change for your running.  Your heal will actually be a half inch to an inch lower in making contact with the ground and you will use more calf muscle on impact rather than taking up the shock with your heal, knee and hip.  So in escense you are stretching the back muscles of your leg a half inch to 1 inch with ever stride.  That stretching can cause some problems if not done super gradually. 

It is different to have run barefoot all your life than to convert to it in your 40s.  There are a number of studies that basically show that the cushy shoes lead to injury and that the cheaper less cushy shoes are better.  I haven't taken the time to evaluate the quality of the studies.  The problem is that most of the studies are correlational and do not control for a lot of the variables that need to be explained before any defininitive decision can be made.  Some folks imply that shoe manufacturers have known this all along, but have ignored it in an effort to make more $$ from more cushioned, supportive shoes.  It would be nice if someone did some real tightly controled research on the topic, but the people who make money off shoes probably wouldn't pay for it. 

K now off to read the above paper to watch it contradict me 8).

Edited by Baowolf 2009-10-08 11:48 AM
2009-10-13 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Trishie, thanks for posting about this book.  I got it on Friday and today was my first time out running after getting into the book.  It was the best running experience I've had in ages (maybe since I was a teenager). 

I agree with Baowolf, that you can't switch to barefoot running overnight (nor did I try to!).  I just went out with my neutral, somewhat cushioned running shoes, but I've got to say, it was a different and far better keeping in mind some of the anecdotal lessons from the book.  I focused on shorter strides, faster cadence, straight back - easy, light, smooth.  Similar pace to my last run of a similar distance (although I didn't check the pace until I was done), but with a lower heart rate, and when I was done, I felt great - if I didn't have to get back to work, I felt like I could have gone out again!
2009-10-13 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2448470

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Steve in IL - 2009-10-07 3:28 PM

won't teach you everything you need to know to make a switch to barefoot or minimalistic running.  What it will do is entertain you, intrigue you, and possibly just cause you to rethink some very fundamental things you thought you knew about running.

Give it a read, see what you think.  If you come out the other side interested in changing your running footwear, and the way you run, there are lots of resources out there to help you learn how.

x2. This sums it up nicely. It provides some great insight into barefoot or minimal shoe running. Once you're done and have enjoyed it you can start reading sites such as Barefoot Bob's and get some guidance on switching.

There have been several of these threads with similar kudo's for the book. Has anyone read it, researched barefoot running and found it to be -worse- than boot running?
2009-10-13 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2448609

User image

Extreme Veteran
trishie - 2009-10-07 7:11 PM I HIGHLY recommend the audiobook !! the story is easy to listen to and the narrator is great.

Ok, I am sold.  It will be my audio bok purchase this month!
2009-10-13 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2457665

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
My only complaint with the book was that I couldn't put it down. Reading until 2am doesn't help with getting up for the early morning workouts.

2009-10-13 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

By the way, casting?

- Caballo Blanco: Owen Wilson (this seems like it couldn't be more obvious).
- Chris: Woody Harrelson (maybe less obvious, but it's the image I get).

. . . others?

2009-10-13 4:57 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
just saw word of This for those of you in the Seattle area!

Seattle Running Company proudly presents
a run, slideshow, and talk with
Caballo Blanco
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Run begins at 6pm, slideshow & talk at 7pm.

i just might have to go!
2010-10-11 2:27 PM

User image

Master
Beijing
The book is at home waiting for me to finish the last 30 pages tonight.   I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far, and I agree with a previous poster:  My run today was AWESOME.    Focussed on turnover and standing up straight, two of my biggest running "problems." 

I felt great and am definitely interested in looking into some VFFs or other minimal shoe.   So much of the book just "clicked" with me.   I'm in the early stages of trying to SLOWLY increase my run volume, and am extremely interested in whatever I can do to stay injury-free!  I've suffered 2 injuries during my previous 2 attempts at building mileage, so it is good encouragement to see that it CAN be done.
2010-10-11 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2457848

User image

Pro
ultrahip_00 - 2009-10-13 2:57 PM just saw word of This for those of you in the Seattle area!

Seattle Running Company proudly presents
a run, slideshow, and talk with
Caballo Blanco
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Run begins at 6pm, slideshow & talk at 7pm.

i just might have to go!

Yeah, he's coming to our local running shop too.  I loved the book, but McDougal made Micah True (Caballo Blanco) sound like some mysterious figure who never comes out of the canyon and is nearly impossible to find.  Turns out the guy has his own web site and is on tour.  Not really a criticism, but just kinda' funny. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen Rss Feed  

of 2