Woodland, California
Subject: RE: Marathon Winner DQ'd for iPod

nevermind

Edited by froglegs 2009-10-08 10:05 PM

2009-10-09 3:20 AM
in reply to: #2449499

User image

here's a dumb question, are computers allowed (on ur bike) for telling mph, distance, time, ect in USAT sanctioned events for elites and non-elites.

seems like an electronic device (just like an ipod) that assists with pacing and mental awareness.
2009-10-09 7:06 AM
in reply to: #2450573

User image

Runner

tkd.teacher - 2009-10-08 6:18 PM
Dozier - 2009-10-08 3:03 PM

I should rephrase ... What advantage is there that is not available to others.  If someone has a coach, they have an advantage that I don't.  However, the advanatage is available to me but I choose to not pay for a coach.  Music is an advantage to some (it actually slows me down), but is it unfair if it is an advantage available to everyone??

No real advantage one way or the other. IIRC, the reason for it is a safety issue, not a PED issue.

John

I think they actually consider it a PED issue for the elites.  See my post above linking to the USATF site.

2009-10-09 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2450822

User image

Veteran
Papillion, NE
crusevegas - 2009-10-08 8:39 PM

DJS - 2009-10-08 9:26 AM Still no answer as to why "some" can wear it and "some" can't. I am hearing safety as being the number one issue(outside of everyone's "because it is a rule"). Ok, then, once again, why not make it a RULE and not something that applies to only certain people. That lacks credibility as a safety rule then and is not a legitimate reason, or no one would be allowed to wear them.

Like I have already stated, just trying to understand the logic here. Not trying to tell anyone that you "need" one to race, or "so what, it is a rule" sort of thing.

This is just my opinion, but I think one of the reasons initially for the iPod being banned across the board was due in part to safety reasons. I think it's been modified because so many such as yourself objected to it and the rule for the elites has to be adhered to for the pro's. They are giving the race directors the option to allow non elites to run with them so the RD's don't have to listen to all the whining that they were putting up with and more people will probably participate if they can use them.

Really? Where did I object to it. If you read some of my above posts, I clearly stated that I just participated in a "non ipod wearing" race last weekend and adhered to the rules.
I have no problem either way, was just trying to understand why some can wear them and some can't.

I am done posting on this subject as there has been no real answer to that. It keeps getting repeated that "it is the rules", "it is up to the RD", "it is a safety issue", none of these give a true justification as to why, other than "well, that is just how it is and if you don't like it, don't race". Well, I already understand that and never brought that up. That is quite obvious.
Understand, I am a very black & white, literal person, so maybe that is where my confusion/problem comes from. When I tell someone that XYZ is not allowed, then it is not allowed. Not, "if it is ok to the RD", or "if some people whine about it." If it is a rule, then it is a rule.

Back to the original topic, I am glad to see the rules were enforced, if that is what they are/were. There is no reason to have them if they are not going to be enforced.
2009-10-09 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2449934

User image

Runner

Scout7 - 2009-10-08 2:07 PM

To end this bizarre debate, here it is from the USATF website:

Approved at USATF's 2008 Annual Meeting held earlier this month in Reno, the rule now reads:"The following shall be considered assistance and therefore not allowed:

"(f) The visible possession or use by athletes of video, audio, or communications devices in the competition area. The Games Committee for an LDR event may allow the use of portable listening devices not capable of receiving communication; however, those competing in Championships for awards, medals, or prize money may not use such devices."

http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUID=USATF_2008_12_22_10_22_16

By my reading of that posting, the consider anything with headphones, FOR ELITES, to be a portable listening device, and they are banning it due to the fact that it COULD provide an unfair advantage.  Not safety, not insurance; an unfair advantage.  Portable listening devices capable of receiving communication are banned for EVERYONE.  This would include radios, and probably cell phones.

This makes my statement earlier about it providing information to racers and creating an unfair advantage pretty much true.

Seriously, people, the reason for why iPods and other devices are banned has been posted.  If you don't believe my reason, go read the USATF website.  It goes into detail as to why the unwashed masses are still able to use iPods.

Honestly.....

2009-10-09 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2451284

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
DJS - 2009-10-09 10:05 AM

I am done posting on this subject as there has been no real answer to that. It keeps getting repeated that "it is the rules", "it is up to the RD", "it is a safety issue", none of these give a true justification as to why, other than "well, that is just how it is and if you don't like it, don't race". Well, I already understand that and never brought that up. That is quite obvious.
Understand, I am a very black & white, literal person, so maybe that is where my confusion/problem comes from. When I tell someone that XYZ is not allowed, then it is not allowed. Not, "if it is ok to the RD", or "if some people whine about it." If it is a rule, then it is a rule.

The black and white, literal answer (which has been provided several times) is:

IIAF banned all personal audio devices for both safety and to prevent one or two way communication.

USATF followed suit but then there was a huge backlash from people who wanted to run with their audio devices so USATF ammended the rules so that elites were required to follow the IIAF policy but non-elites could wear the devices at the discretion of the race director.

Shane

2009-10-09 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS

I love wearing my mp3 while running, but rules are rules.

2009-10-09 9:34 AM

Regular
Houston
This the last I will post too ( I think lol). I will say that if I were competing in a triathlon, I would not wear an MP3 device on any part of the course
2009-10-09 9:56 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
About why aren't all the rules the same.  It's because simply the rules are different for Elite's.  If you want to race as an elite, you prescribe to the rules set forth for them.  If not, then race as an Age-grouper.

Just like in Tri's, Elite's have a stagger rule in addition to the bike distance rule and others as well I believe.  For Elite's you can't wear an IPOD.

The rules are consistant.  They are consistant for each 'group'.
2009-10-09 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2449532

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
running2far - 2009-10-08 10:26 AM Two thumbs up to the RD that had the nads to enforce the rules....

My opinion exactly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Winner DQ'd for iPod Rss Feed  

of 4