General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The perfect athlete food Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-10-18 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2464223

User image

Master
Subject: RE: The perfect athlete food
Although I agree completely that whole foods, or food as grown and minimally processed are generally the BEST thing to have in your diet, I think that the reality is that the convenience of ground grains is an important part of our lifestyles.
Bread, pasta, etc, can all have a place in a healthy diet, it just has to be a supporting role, not the main source of calories.
Although I love having rice and beans and scrambled eggs for breakfast, it is much easier to get a piece of whole wheat toast and peanut butter in my belly early in the morning, and probably easier to get the energy into your system, because of the processing.
What do you think?

2009-10-18 8:54 PM

User image

New user
Lehigh Valley, PA
pre-training/race food:  Bananas - Lots of carbs, cramp-avoiding potassium

during the race (on the bike):  Bananas (see above)

recovery food: Sushi and sashimi plater.  Lots of protein and (try to get the brown rice varieties) carbs to sustain you.  Pizza works too, if it is a whole wheat crust, low grease (i.e. not much cheese, and no ground and pressed dead animal parts on it) and no tomato sauce (that acidity would rake havoc to one's stomach.)
2009-10-18 9:00 PM

Expert
Behind you
  1. Tacos (fully loaded)
  2. Pizza
  3. Beer
  4. Chicken Wings
  5. Brats

Ok, no really, that was what I had today (off training day).  Thats why we train for Triathlons right? 

2009-10-18 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2464260

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Johners - 2009-10-16 8:56 PM Whatever I can get someone else to pay for...

That's my favorite brand of beer!!!
2009-10-19 6:15 AM
in reply to: #2466029

User image

Master
SMIBville
eliwashere - 2009-10-18 9:27 PM Although I agree completely that whole foods, or food as grown and minimally processed are generally the BEST thing to have in your diet, I think that the reality is that the convenience of ground grains is an important part of our lifestyles.
Bread, pasta, etc, can all have a place in a healthy diet, it just has to be a supporting role, not the main source of calories.
Although I love having rice and beans and scrambled eggs for breakfast, it is much easier to get a piece of whole wheat toast and peanut butter in my belly early in the morning, and probably easier to get the energy into your system, because of the processing.
What do you think?

I think the whole idea that it's ok to use processed foods as an easy way of getting 'energy into your system' is exactly the problem that we are talking about.  You shouldn't have to get 'easy energy' into your system at any time, because this causes a spike in your blood sugar.  That's exactly what you want to avoid, and exactly what corporate America wants to happen to you because when your blood sugar does crash again you'll be back to finding an easy way of getting 'energy into your system'. 
2009-10-19 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2465609

Expert
Salisbury

Comet - 2009-10-18 4:12 PM
dck4shrt - 2009-10-18 3:38 PMI'm surprised how many people list a grain/grain based product as their choice for the perfect athletes food.  I thought that all of the feel good attitude towards whole wheat breads, pasta, rice, wraps, etc, was dropped by the wayside when it was realized that these 'foods' were the basis of a diet that causes chronic inflammation, heart disease, cancer, gastric distress, and diabetes...among other things. 
To expand on this, I think many athletes here should do some research on food production, to include processed pacakged foods, meats and produce. Up until the last 100 years, even 50, there wasn't a such thing as our mega stores and endless supply of food. Our bodies aren't designed for this and it's killing us (obiesty, health problems listed above). Even "athletes" like ourselves do not need this mass produced food to be successful. Most of us on this site are not at the level we like to think we're at and can thrive on a reduced volume of real, whole foods. Our bodies can get the required carbs fir this lifestyle without having to eat junk. Hunter gatherers survived on foods from the earth and meats. 100 years ago people didn't eat cereal for breakfast. Most countries do not have the supermarkets we do. They do not have the obiesty rates we do. Some good reading to consider: The Primal Blueprint, Good Calories Bad Calories, www.marksdailyapple.comjust food for thought.

While I don't disagree with what your saying...Keep in mind that hunter gatherers didn't have to go to work, sit at a desk (or whatever) take your lunch/break, and leave work all at a designated time. 

Hunter gatherers spent their days hunting and gathering. Essentially all day every day.

Edited by Rencor 2009-10-19 11:28 AM

2009-10-19 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2466794

User image

Expert
New York
Rencor - 2009-10-19 12:27 PM

dck4shrt - 2009-10-18 3:38 PMI'm surprised how many people list a grain/grain based product as their choice for the perfect athletes food.  I thought that all of the feel good attitude towards whole wheat breads, pasta, rice, wraps, etc, was dropped by the wayside when it was realized that these 'foods' were the basis of a diet that causes chronic inflammation, heart disease, cancer, gastric distress, and diabetes...among other things. 
To expand on this, I think many athletes here should do some research on food production, to include processed pacakged foods, meats and produce. Up until the last 100 years, even 50, there wasn't a such thing as our mega stores and endless supply of food. Our bodies aren't designed for this and it's killing us (obiesty, health problems listed above). Even "athletes" like ourselves do not need this mass produced food to be successful. Most of us on this site are not at the level we like to think we're at and can thrive on a reduced volume of real, whole foods. Our bodies can get the required carbs fir this lifestyle without having to eat junk. Hunter gatherers survived on foods from the earth and meats. 100 years ago people didn't eat cereal for breakfast. Most countries do not have the supermarkets we do. They do not have the obiesty rates we do. Some good reading to consider: The Primal Blueprint, Good Calories Bad Calories, www.marksdailyapple.comjust food for thought.

While I don't disagree with what your saying...Keep in mind that hunter gatherers didn't have to go to work, sit at a desk (or whatever) take your lunch/break, and leave work all at a designated time. 

Hunter gatherers spent their days hunting and gathering. Essentially all day every day.

I hunt and gather peanut butter. Does that count?
2009-10-19 12:59 PM

User image

Queen BTich

So even more of a reason to eat as much natural, whole foods as possible. Why use the "quick release" foods when you're sitting at a desk. Eat a diet rich in produce, meats, and healthy fats. Why reach for the breads? Sustainable energy foods, not ones to cause your blood sugar to go on a roller coaster ride.
2009-10-19 1:09 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville

Anthropologists generally agree that hunter-gatherers, on average, spent LESS time than we do 'working' and more time relaxing and enjoying 'fun' pursuits. 
2009-10-19 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2464242

Veteran
Boston
raveon - 2009-10-16 6:26 PM

whole grain toast with peanut butter and banana (pretty well every day)

Pb and banana is SOOO good. The only thing about it is the bananas can drop out easily - but it's worth it to me!
2009-10-19 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2466861

Veteran
Boston
swishyskirt - 2009-10-19 9:47 AM

I hunt and gather peanut butter. Does that count?

hahaha - nice

2009-10-19 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2464289

User image

wavedog - 2009-10-16 8:36 PM

rice!

I would have bet a million bucks you would have said bacon.  Who are you and what did you do with wavedog?
2009-10-19 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2466286

User image

Veteran
dck4shrt - I think the whole idea that it's ok to use processed foods as an easy way of getting 'energy into your system' is exactly the problem that we are talking about.  You shouldn't have to get 'easy energy' into your system at any time, because this causes a spike in your blood sugar.

I simply don't understand the bias against processed foods.

Does gnawing on raw sugarcane give you any less of a spike in your blood sugar?
2009-10-19 4:15 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
not sure if anyone said:

coconut water - great for potassium
2009-10-19 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2467500

User image

trix - 2009-10-19 5:15 PM not sure if anyone said:

Huh. Had no idea. Will have to look into that sometime. In the meantime, my new favorite is a whole-grain pancake peanut butter sandwich. I make small whole wheat/oat/sunflower seed/flaxseed cinnamon pancakes then spread on a layer of peanut butter or almond butter and stick a similarly-sized pancake on top. I've found that the combination of slower-release carbs, protein, and fat works better for me than anything else on IM distance rides.
2009-10-19 4:42 PM
in reply to: #2467471

User image

Master
SMIBville
mrcurtain - 2009-10-19 5:05 PM
dck4shrt - I think the whole idea that it's ok to use processed foods as an easy way of getting 'energy into your system' is exactly the problem that we are talking about. You shouldn't have to get 'easy energy' into your system at any time, because this causes a spike in your blood sugar.

I simply don't understand the bias against processed foods.

Does gnawing on raw sugarcane give you any less of a spike in your blood sugar?

Bias? 
I dunno.  I eat food.  Real food that wasn't created in a lab.  You can eat whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is that processed foods are not good for you.  In the specific examples above, I think we are interchanging processed foods with 'grains', which have to be processed in order for you to even have a chance at extracting any energy out of them.  Grains are simply out of the realm of what human beings are supposed to be eating.  They have a high glycemic response, are nutritionally poor (for our digestive systems), and are the root cause of an inflammatory diet.

2009-10-19 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2467541

User image

Elite
Miami
emmie - 2009-10-19 4:41 PM
trix - 2009-10-19 5:15 PM not sure if anyone said:

Huh. Had no idea. Will have to look into that sometime. In the meantime, my new favorite is a whole-grain pancake peanut butter sandwich. I make small whole wheat/oat/sunflower seed/flaxseed cinnamon pancakes then spread on a layer of peanut butter or almond butter and stick a similarly-sized pancake on top. I've found that the combination of slower-release carbs, protein, and fat works better for me than anything else on IM distance rides.

got that from one of the pro's in florida.  since it tends to be very hot and humid in the summer usually a small box of coconut water contains double the content of potassium of a banana so its great way to prevent cramps.

i will have a box and 1 banana usually gives me about 1200 mg of potassium. 

as far as great vitamins / supplements:
Spirulina
Omega 3

good stuff....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The perfect athlete food Rss Feed  

of 3