United States
41F / 5C
Precipitation
Total Time = 24m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My wife originally signed up for this race with me on dance class duty with Nicole. With the forecast my wife had her entry transferred to me as she had no desire to run in a Nor'easter! Race site is only a 5k from my house so left 1/2 hour prior to start time and even that was too early. Froze the whole time waiting for the reace to start. Ran into a friend Brian who I did Hightstown with and also my friend Lynn showed up (didn't know she was coming) proving that she's hooked after doing the Patriot games with us.
Event warmup:

Jumping jacks, drinking coffee (yuck!), anything that might stop me from becoming a popsickle without getting soaked to the bone.
Run
  • 24m 6s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Did I mention we were smack in the middle of a Nor'easter! It was raining, windy and 41 degrees. Almost just got my shirt and left but figured what the hell, let's run and make the best of it. Only about 60 or so people starting I believe so was positioned fairly near the beginning. Started off running and a bunch of people were feeling a little too good about themselves and took off really fast. I felt like I was in a pretty good pace and just worried about myself. Almost instantly my hands got a bit numb and the same with my feet. Around the 1 mile mark I had caught all the "rabbits" and was feeling pretty good. Was drafting off a girl in front of me who appeared to be working pretty hard so wanted to stay on her heels and hopefully pass her at the end. Made the turn and was starting to lose a bit of ground to my rabbit. Got to the 3 mile marker and new I couldn't catch her even with a sprint so I just finished keeping my pace and felt pretty pleased as I was fairly tired but not spent. As it turns out I finished in 24:06 and would've sprinted the last 1/10th to get under 24 if I had known. I forgot to start my watch so just timed mile 2 and then the finish at the chute.
What would you do differently?:

Start my watch so I know my time. Would've been good to get back in the 23's for a change. Also, pray for some reasonable weather as this could really be a fast course.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for Lynn to finish (27 and change) and walked back with her to our cars to put on some warmer and drier clothes. Waited around for a few minutes and decided to ditch whatever door prizes they were going to call out as I really just wanted a warm shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just getting back into good solid run training so was happy with my effort/time knowing I still had some more to give.

Event comments:

Marks on volunteers and drinks aren't really fair as I can't blame volunteers for not wanting to be out there for just 60 of us or so. I hear the race is normally well staffed and run so will be back next year as so close to my house.

Last updated: 2009-10-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:06 | 03.11 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Straight out one road for about 1/2 mile, right turn and straight out about 1 mile, turnaround and head on back!
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-18 10:04 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: Tomm May 5k

2009-10-19 11:10 PM
in reply to: #2466157

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Tomm May 5k
Racing in those conditions.....yikes!  Nice run!
2009-10-20 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA

Awesome job, Bob especially considering the weather!!!  I'm not sure I know how to race in stuff like that anymore so huge KUDOS to you for not bailing!

2009-10-20 7:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Nice job!

I'm on LI and that storm was nasty!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tomm May 5k Rss Feed