Baltimore Runing Festival
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 56m 48s
Overall Rank = 2346/3153
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 210/289
Pre-race routine:

Had everything packed and laid out the night before. I put on my clothes, got ready, started J's coffee, grabbed an Amp, and to the car to drive to B-more.
Event warmup:

Just walked around, did the bathroom thing, stretched a little at the start. Left J and gave him a kiss at the 3:10 group, and headed back to wait near the 4:45ers.
Run
  • 4h 56m 48s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

My stretch goal was 4:45 (10:53 pace), so I wanted to keep that pace group just behind me through half, and not too far ahead through the hills. They were doing a strict run/walk (walks every 1/2 mile) with even splits. I didn't think this was the strategy for me since I didn't train that way, and the course is not well suited for even splits. So, that was the plan.

I started off with the group, not doing the math to realize that while they were running, they'd be doing about a 9:44 pace. So, the first mile was pretty quick, but I settled in after they stopped for their first walk. They were solidly behind me until around mile 8, when they started to leapfrog me on the runs, but get behind on the walks. I took my first walk at 10 miles with them because they were all stopping in front of me anyway. The leap-frogging continued until about mile 13 when they passed me and I never caught up again. My pace through the half was only a little behind, so I decided to try my best to hold steady and see what I can do, maybe make up some time in the last few miles. That was before the hills started.

At about 15.5 miles, the seriously noticeable uphills began. Oh, and the light rain and fairly strong winds (it seemed to always be a head-wind) also began to take their toll. Also, around 16-17 miles, I started catching the tail end of the 1/2 marathoners. It wasn't really a problem, except at the narrow spots (and water stops) closer to the end when I was trying to push it, and they had no intention of going faster than a walk. Anyway, through the hills, I tried to walk as little as possible, but probably did around 5-6 times. It was hard, and by 19 miles, I was more than 5 minutes behind. I did see Christy (dolelicious) though around 18, and that was a nice boost.

I mentally did well keeping moving around the lake, making my new goal not to blow 5 hours, which has been my goal since 2006 that I'd managed to mess up the previous 7 times. I kept calculating in my head just how slow I could shuffle and still make my goal. That kept me busy because math is hard when you're tired. :-)

I started to feel a little crampy in my legs around 24, but the gummy bears actually seemed to help. They're so awesome! I only ate about half my handful, though, because they were more difficult than I expected to chew while trying to breathe. Knowing I only had 2 miles to go, I didn't want to walk at all the rest of the way. I can't remember for certain if I did or not, but I'm pretty sure I didn't, which was a big mental victory. I was happy to pass a lot of people on the bridge with no walking. Once I hit Camden Yards, I knew I was golden and would make my 5 hour goal. J saw me just before the finish and I smiled and waved. As I was approaching the finish, the announcer said that anyone finishing in the next 30 seconds would break 5 hours, so I really pushed it. I knew that was gun time and not chip time, but why chance it, you know? I finished with a big smile and was exhausted. I found J pretty quickly and happily got my congratulatory smooch. :-)
What would you do differently?:

More water, less g-ade? I felt like I was getting really puffy around the 20's. My shoes even felt tight.
Post race
Warm down:

Fought my way through the finish area, found J, and then had to sit down. My legs were shaking/about to cramp and I just couldn't walk around anymore. We got our complementary beers, hung out, and finally drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather wasn't nearly as cool as it had been in the past, and the wind/rain didn't make for the perfect conditions. My training took a turn for the worse in the month leading up to the race, but I'm not sure if it made that much difference. I think 4:45 is attainable, but not that day on that course. It is a tough course, which makes me feel even better about my PR!!

Event comments:

This is a well-run race, and is nice in that it is not as crowded as some of the much larger races that I have run. The course is challenging, but it's neat that way. The fans are great, and the volunteers did a good job. A couple of stations seemed a little under-staffed, but that's not the fault of those who were out there doing their best.

Last updated: 2009-03-30 12:00 AM
Running
04:56:48 | 26.2 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 210/289
Overall: 2346/3153
Performance: Good
5.7 M - 1:02:05 (10:53 pace) 10 M - 1:02:05 (10:51 pace) 12.7 M - 1:02:05 (10:58 pace) 13.1 M - 1:02:05 (10:56 pace) 19 M - 1:02:05 (11:10 pace) 20 M - 1:02:05 (11:11 pace)
Course: Hills from start to ~5-6 miles, flat through about 15.5, treacherous (ok, just really uphill) until about 22, then relatively downhill to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-26 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Subject: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon

2009-10-26 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2479620

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon

Good race report, and solid job pushing through the adversity.  That's funny about the gummy bears, I think that one day I may choke on one if I try it again (I no longer do).

I thought you don't do the caffeine energy drinks before a race anymore?  Is Amp your normal pre race drink?

2009-10-26 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2479968

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-10-26 2:46 PM

I thought you don't do the caffeine energy drinks before a race anymore?  Is Amp your normal pre race drink?

Sort of.  The jumbo mocha Rockstar in Arizona ended badly, but I drink Amp's occasionally and generally know how they affect me.  I had one before Eagleman and felt great, so I decided to go for it at Baltimore too.  It seemed to be fine, but may have caused a bit of high heart rate at the beginning (actually, at an avg of 170, my HR was kind of high the whole time).  It's hard to tell what's nervous/excitement, what may have been due to the slightly warmer weather, what is the Amp-age, and what is the typical garmin 305-related spike before it starts conducting well.  Maybe I'll step it down to a Mtn. Dew instead.  It does scare me a little how much the Amps can get your HR going...
2009-10-26 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Way to PR, baby!  I'm very proud of you.  :-)
2009-10-26 3:25 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
It was definitely one of the tougher B-More marathons I've done with the weather!  Everyone's times were down across the board.  Which makes a PR even more rewarding!

Congrats on the finish and making it through the tough spots.
2009-10-26 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2480197

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-10-26 4:13 PM Maybe I'll step it down to a Mtn. Dew instead.  It does scare me a little how much the Amps can get your HR going...

Yeah when you said that before, it did remind me that I could get like that so I should consider such things in my caffeine ideas.  I haven't tried energy drinks yet, I think those get my heart racing on a normal day.

2009-10-28 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Becky, way to push through the  tough miles towards the end of the race!  The weather made it tough too.  I am glad the gummy bears may have helped... I may have to take a few from him next time.  Good report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Under Armour Baltimore Marathon Rss Feed