General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Harryman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-26 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2817208

User image

Subject: RE: Harryman Triathlon : Official Thread

davetri1 - 2010-04-26 1:39 PM Dream chaser are you also doing Lake Placid

Yes, I'm doing LP.  Also doing Rev3 Half in early in June.  From what I hear, lots of guys and gals use Harryman as a warm-up for LP.

2010-04-26 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2490245

User image

Okay they update the website.  I THINK, not certain, the Bike Course is as Westchester Triathlete mapped??  The bike course is going to be a 21-mile loop, as stated below.  So the Olympic distance riders get cut short, and us Halfers are gonna bike 63 miles?!

Bike Course

Due to the closure of Tiorati Brook Rd. we will have a new bike course for 2010. The map is posted above. The bike course is now a 21-mile loop that will start at Lake Welch. You will exit Lake Welch Dr. and continue down the hill (EXTREME CAUTION AT BOTTOM). You will merge with Tiorati Brook Rd. and quickly need to get on the brakes to make the U-turn at the bottom of the hill. After the U-turn you will climb back up Lake Welch Dr. and down to the intersection with Seven Lakes Dr. Turn Right on Seven Lakes Dr., continue straight at Kanauwaukee Circle to Tiorati Circle. U-turn at Tiorati Circle and return back down Seven Lakes Dr. After passing the entrance to Lake Sebago, make a U-turn on Seven Lakes Dr., then move right to make a right turn onto Lake Welch Dr. Climb back up to the Lake to complete this loop. Olympic distance will circle one time, Half distance will go three times. After you complete your laps, you will return to the Transition Area via the entrance to Lake Welch.  The "Bike In" location is the same as the "Bike Out" location, you will now reverse the flow through the transition area and exit "Run Out" the same place as "Swim In".

Anyone who knows the area comment on the Run and how flat, hilly it will be??

Due to the bike course changes, the run course will also change. The run course is a new out and back course. Olympic participants will go out 3.1 miles and back; half competitors will run a double out and back t0 3.275 miles. Runners will depart Lake Welch via the West Entrance, cross over Rt. 106 to Johnsontown Rd. Continue down Johnsontown Rd. to Lake Welch Dr. Turn left onto Lake Welch Dr. YOU MUST REMAIN ON THE GRASS FOR THIS SECTION! Continue to the entrance to Camp Lanowa, turn left onto paved road. Olympic Participants will reach turn around at 3.1 miles; half participants will reach the turn around at 3.275 miles return to Turnaround at Lake Welch and complete second lap. There will be mile markers every mile of the run.

2010-04-26 8:47 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
What I mapped out for the bike seems to follow what they are describing.

For the run, if I am following the directions correct, it looks something like this?:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/ny/stony%20point/159127233243292782

Based upon that, and I am afraid to say this, but it looks not that hilly? Mapmyride only shows a min/max elevation of 1030/1158 feet, with not too much choppiness in elevation. I do know that there is NOT much shade on the run course, especially on Lake Welch Dr. I'd say the run course got easier due to the change?

I'm just doing the Olympic distance and I'm thinking of treating it like a sprint due to the short swim and bike and now flattish run.

I feel bad for you HIM'ers who have to do 7 extra miles on the bike!
2010-05-06 8:26 AM

User image

16 Days till the Sufferfest that is Harriman!!  It's been two years since I rode that climb and it's still fresh in my mind.  Oddly, I'm a little disappointed that we're only climbing it three times.  For the last six months I've been mentally psyching myself up for the challenge of climbing it 4 times. 

Has anyone done any actual Recon of the new run course??  If it really is flat, that's gonna kind of suck as the reason I am doing Harriman is to prepare me for Lake Placid.

2010-05-06 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2840729

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Dream Chaser - 2010-05-06 9:26 AM

16 Days till the Sufferfest that is Harriman!!  It's been two years since I rode that climb and it's still fresh in my mind.  Oddly, I'm a little disappointed that we're only climbing it three times.  For the last six months I've been mentally psyching myself up for the challenge of climbing it 4 times. 

Has anyone done any actual Recon of the new run course??  If it really is flat, that's gonna kind of suck as the reason I am doing Harriman is to prepare me for Lake Placid.

I don't know the answer, but you don't need a hilly run course to prepare for LP.  You just need to pace yourself well so that you can have a strong run on whatever course they throw at you. 
2010-05-06 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Broad Brook
The water temp. should be warmer this year compared to 54 degs. it was 2 years ago. I will keep my fingers crossed.

2010-05-06 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2840819

User image

JohnnyKay - 2010-05-06 9:47 AM
Dream Chaser - 2010-05-06 9:26 AM

I don't know the answer, but you don't need a hilly run course to prepare for LP.  You just need to pace yourself well so that you can have a strong run on whatever course they throw at you. 

Pacing?  What's that?  Is that when you go out as hard as possible and then Pray you don't blow up?  Oh wait, that's Praying not Pacing.

In my short running career, I've found great success with simulating race course terrain ahead of time.  For instance, for the Steamtown Marathon, a course which is 1500 feet/ 20 miles of straight downhill, I did A LOT of downhill running.  Needless to say with only a 15-mile long run as my longest run, and only one week removed from a 70.3 race, PR'd the Marathon. 

Regardless if the interim Harryman run course is going to be hilly or not, I will be running hills because the Rev3 Half Run is very hilly, and Lake Placid Run is hilly.  Pacing is essential, but so is Race-Specific training; at least for me. If there are hills, I wanna train hills.  If the terrain is off-road, I wanna train off-road.  If the Race is in a tropical environment, I want to have trained in like temps.  That's just me.  Maybe it's part placebo/ confidence but it's worked for me, so far. 

2010-05-10 2:31 PM

User image

WHERE YOU AT BT'ERS???  According to the Race Link, there are 7 other BT'ers racing suffering through Harryman in T-minus 12 Days!!  How is everyone feeling?  Ready??!! 

2010-05-10 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2849128

User image

Kingston, NY
First, American Zofingen; then I can focus on Harryman.
2010-05-12 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Broad Brook
My triaing is going great. I feel in the best shape of my life and look forward to this race to see how my training is shaping up for L.P.
2010-05-12 2:22 PM

User image

Davetri, that's awesome!!  Here's to us being in the best shape of our lives!!

QUESTION:  Has anyone actually biked UP Lake Welch Parkway?  I've always biked DOWN it as that's the direction the course normally goes.  I vaguely remember at the end a good 1 to 2 mile descent and easily hitting 40MPH.  I'm wondering if climbing back up it will compare at all two the 2-mile KILLER climb.  Anyone??

Edited by Dream Chaser 2010-05-12 2:23 PM

2010-05-13 6:40 AM

User image

Soooo the 10-day forecast says: Sunny and 80 degrees for Harriman on Saturday May 22nd.  I mean, we're still 10 days out... low is only 57 degrees.  How awesome would that be if it comes true!

2010-05-16 7:58 AM

User image

Extended forecast is saying 81 degrees and Sunny still!!   Just sayin'! 

2010-05-20 7:37 AM

User image

Okay BT'ers... we got 2 Days and a Wake-up!!  Who's Ready to Survive Harryman! 

How's everyone feeling??  Who out there is doing the Half and who's doing the Olympic?  Who did AmZof last weekend and is wondering how the heck they're gonna drag themselves up and down the hills of Harryman??

As for me, I am Tapered and starting to feel fresh.  This Olympic course beat me up silly 2 years ago.  It was only my second Triathlon race ever, and I believe I had maybe a total of 600 miles of biking in my legs back then.  Now I have a lot more miles in the twigs, and time in the saddle; lots more experience, having complete 5 half Ironman's; but something still tells me I am still going to get smacked around silly by this course!!  I'll find out soon enough!

What's everyone elses story and history with this course? 

2010-05-20 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Best of luck to everyone! I was registered but had to defer to next year because of injury. I'll be doing Black Bear Olympic instead.

DC - I'll be keeping an eye on you since next year I will be doing Harryman and IMLP. Race well!
2010-05-20 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2870437

User image

mrbbrad - 2010-05-20 9:43 AM Best of luck to everyone! I was registered but had to defer to next year because of injury. I'll be doing Black Bear Olympic instead.

DC - I'll be keeping an eye on you since next year I will be doing Harryman and IMLP. Race well!

Sounds like a Plan!  Have a great time at Black Bear.

2010-05-20 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2870269

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Dream Chaser - 2010-05-20 8:37 AM

Okay BT'ers... we got 2 Days and a Wake-up!!  Who's Ready to Survive Harryman! 

How's everyone feeling??  Who out there is doing the Half and who's doing the Olympic?  Who did AmZof last weekend and is wondering how the heck they're gonna drag themselves up and down the hills of Harryman??

As for me, I am Tapered and starting to feel fresh.  This Olympic course beat me up silly 2 years ago.  It was only my second Triathlon race ever, and I believe I had maybe a total of 600 miles of biking in my legs back then.  Now I have a lot more miles in the twigs, and time in the saddle; lots more experience, having complete 5 half Ironman's; but something still tells me I am still going to get smacked around silly by this course!!  I'll find out soon enough!

What's everyone elses story and history with this course? 

I'm just doing the Olympic distance. I tested out the course last weekend and the first time I ever did that huge hill was 2 years ago exactly. Being 15-20 pounds lighter this time around made climbing that hill a LOT easier!
2010-05-24 3:56 PM

User image

The Half Splits are still not up, WTF? 

You also gotta love the Olympic splits.  Top guys running 4:44 miles for the 10k... suuuuuuure.  Riiiiight.  The 3rd place guy OA averaging 39 MPH on the bike.  Yeah, that sounds credible. 

According to the Olympic splits, 90% of the field averaged 21mph+.  And O.J. is innocent.  Mike Tyson isn't crazy.  Brittany Spear's is a good mom.  And Lindsey Lohan is clean and sober.      

2010-05-24 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2879094

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Dream Chaser - 2010-05-24 4:56 PM

You also gotta love the Olympic splits.  Top guys running 4:44 miles for the 10k... suuuuuuure.  Riiiiight.  The 3rd place guy OA averaging 39 MPH on the bike.  Yeah, that sounds credible. 

According to the Olympic splits, 90% of the field averaged 21mph+.  And O.J. is innocent.  Mike Tyson isn't crazy.  Brittany Spear's is a good mom.  And Lindsey Lohan is clean and sober.      

I would ignore the bike speed averages. Mine said 26mph, but for 21 miles, I ACTUALLY averaged 19 mph, but my times are correct. I am really curious about the top 3 runners. There is a HUGE time difference between them and the rest, and the guy who won, his 10K time was within a few mins of the WORLD record time. I saw him on the way back and he didn't look like he was sprinting!

Not gonna do this race ever again....especially after our swim start fiasco.
2010-05-24 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2879117

User image

wstchstrTriathlete - 2010-05-24 5:03 PM
Dream Chaser - 2010-05-24 4:56 PM

I would ignore the bike speed averages. Mine said 26mph, but for 21 miles, I ACTUALLY averaged 19 mph, but my times are correct. I am really curious about the top 3 runners. There is a HUGE time difference between them and the rest, and the guy who won, his 10K time was within a few mins of the WORLD record time. I saw him on the way back and he didn't look like he was sprinting!

Not gonna do this race ever again....especially after our swim start fiasco.

World Class ITU guys are running those times on flat courses.  No one is running that time on that course with 3,000+ feet of climbing, especially after swimming and biking.  Even with a stand-alone 10k, it would take elite Kenyans to run a sub 30 on that course.   

Don't get me wrong, it was a terrific training day ...

Edited by Dream Chaser 2010-05-24 4:09 PM
2010-05-24 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Broad Brook
How did we all do? I finished in 6:23 please with this time and feeling good with 2 months til L.P. The swim was a bit long. keep on training/

2010-05-24 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2879133

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Dream Chaser - 2010-05-24 5:07 PMDon't get me wrong, it was a terrific training day ...

You are right with that! Love the terrain up there.
2010-05-25 7:09 AM

User image

I was having a good day till the 2nd loop of the Run, which I ended up walking most of and finished with a 7:05.

Sub 6:30 is a solid time on that course!!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Harryman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2