Setup Events
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 31m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Pre Race: On Friday a bunch of us from the Beginner Triathlete Forum met up outside of the hotel we were staying at and did a practice swim of about half of the course. All systems were go and it was a huge confidence boost to be in that buoyant salt water even in the 40 degree temps (air temp). Water temp was around 65. Got up on race morning at 4:00 and we got ready. Cash dropped me off at T1 and the fun began; body marking, checking bike tires, dropping off both transition bags, both special needs bags, hanging out with Steve, Skippy, James and others along the way and then catching a bus to the swim start. On the way to the swim start I listened to my Ipod and tried not to listen to Steve (RottieGuy) and Todd (CincyTodd) talk crap about the alligators and sharks- thanks guys. Played Metallica “Sanitarium” over and over and started getting pretty jacked up for the day.
Event warmup:

None really, just hung out!
Swim
  • 49m 26s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim: The swim start was preceeded by a little BT get together (about a dozen of us putting our hands together and shouting) followed by the Virginia Tech tri team chanting for about five minutes it seemed- they really put us to shame . Then, the National Anthem, and I had about all I could to not cry. I was thinking about how bad I wanted to get home and see my wife and my three girls, and I could just about cry right now thinking about it. Emotions were definitely running high. Next, Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” started blaring over the speakers and we were off. Over 700 people in a mass beach start is pretty intimidating, but I was so hyped up and confident that I had little issues. The first 60 yards or so were straight out to a bouy then a U- turn around it which was VERY congested. After that is was a straight shot down the channel to some turns and before you knew it the finish. I was kicked in the right ear about 200 yards into the swim and that really motivated me to get moving and get out of the crowds. I started finding the feet in front of me, catching them, drafting off them for a few seconds, passing and finding more feet- repeated this dozens of times. I knew I was moving, but when I got out of the water and looked at my watch I was shocked to see under 50 minutes for the 2.4 mile swim. We did have the current pushing us along, but nonetheless I was very excited. Later found out I was top forty in the swim!

What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

T1: It was a LONG, COLD run for about a quarter mile to transition one. We even had to cross a four lane road. It was low 40’s air temp, and my feet felt like tree stumps. But, the thrill of being out of the water and the hundreds of people cheering us on pushed me to run the entire way. Got my bag and headed into the craziness of the changing tent- naked, wet chaos. Coming out of T1 with my bike I heard someone yell “hey, your helmet is on backwards!”. I thought, what a moron, until I figured out it was me! Took some time to put it on right and I was off.

Put my helmet on right the first time!
Bike
  • 6h 12m 9s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike: The first 60 miles or so Todd (CincyTodd) and I leapfrogged back and forth, and I knew that I was pushing it a bit hard, but felt great. I saw some pretty interesting things out there, from an old man trying to round up his bird dogs as we dodged them on the road to a guy in full camo sitting right next to the road in a chair with a shotgun on his lap (must have been “enforcing” the no draft rules ). Todd was right behind me when we passed that dude, and we both yelled “WTF was that!”. Stopped at the 60 mile mark and lubed my rear (chaffing had begun) and went potty quickly. The remainder of the bike was into the wind, and it was demoralizing to say the least. I really tried to push it during the last 30 miles or so and the finish couldn’t come fast enough. People always ask “what do you think about when you are on your bike for that long?”. Well, just about everything. I thought a lot about my wife and children, about the marathon ahead, and just tried to keep assessing how my legs felt. I also thought about all of the support that I had received from people during my training, especially my wife, who has really been my biggest fan and supporter through the last several months. Thank you so much Monie! I love you and couldn’t have done it without you. I also kept repeating the words that she had emailed me the day before the race- “be stubborn, find a way”. So cool! The last mile or so on the bike, I was in heaven. Once I spotted the USS North Carolina and started heading down the last hill (bridge) I was flying (38+ MPH). Also, the signs along the way cracked me up- “Taint Sore?” and “Smile if you peed on your bike”- hilarious!

push harder in the first half of the bike
Transition 2
  • 09m 36s
Comments:

T2: Handed my bike off to a volunteer, grabbed my bag, and headed into the chaos of the changing tent. It was CROWDED and the only place to do another full change was right in front of the door- hope nobody was offended by the gratuitous nudity, but I wasn’t the only one. In my haste I ripped off my timing chip and didn’t realize it until I ran out of the transition area and didn’t hear a beep. It ended up costing me at least 7 minutes as I had to go back, locate my bag, unravel my socks and restrap my chip! Oh well, this was my first Ironman and a few minutes wasn’t going to kill me!

Not lose my chip temporarily!
Run
  • 5h 10m 8s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Run: Coming out of T2, finally, I felt great. I was flying- way too fast, but just wanted to knock some miles out as quickly as I could. I knew that I would have to walk some along the 26.2 miles so why not get as much of it in as possible. The bridges were a BEAST to say the least. The first four miles flew by, and only at the 4 mile aid station did I begin to walk through the aid stations. Miles 5-13 ticked off, walking only a few times for a minute or so outside of the aid stations, but my pace had fallen big time. I did see Steve, Todd, and some others on the run and I knew that my “goal” time of 14 hours was easily in reach. I kept running as much as I could, but knew I was losing speed quickly. I finished the first half of the marathon in around 2:20:00, but the second was slower. The support on the run was great, lots of people cheering, very well run aid stations, etc. I remember smelling Grape Bubblicious gum around mile 15, and wanted some SOOOOOOOOO bad. By mile 20 I was still running but was mixing in more and more walking. The last mile or so I really just tried to soak it all in. I was again very emotional, crying some, thinking about the long day that was just about over, and trying not to think about how bad I hurt. I ran the last half mile or so into the finishers chute, crossed the finish line at 12:31:38 and was just relieved that the day was done.

not much
Post race
Warm down:

Post Race: I found Cash- he was right there waiting for me, got my finisher’s shirt and medal, and went and sat down. I quickly called my wife, and will never forget the excitement in her voice that I was done and was ok. We went back to the hotel and ordered Domino’s Pasta Bowls- YUM!

Last updated: 2009-11-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:26 | 4224 yards | 01m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Xterra
Course: through the intercoastal waterway
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:12:09 | 112 miles | 18.06 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Long oblong through the back country of NC.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:36
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:10:08 | 26.2 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: BRIDGES- yikes!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-10 9:17 AM

Subject: Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance

2009-11-10 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2506448

Subject: RE: Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance
Just to add- had a great time with all of the BT crowd at B2B, thanks again!
ben
2009-11-10 3:25 PM

I'll try to add some photos soon.
ben
2009-11-10 7:16 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Nice job. You live through your first IM and for your next.

It's always fun hanging out with other BTers.
2009-11-11 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

It was great hanging out with you Ben.  You did great out there and were full of energy when you got back to the house.  Hope your travels home on Sunday went well. 

Sorry I was busting your arse about sharks and gators

2009-11-11 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Great race, you did a super job out there. Wish I could of met some BT folks on Friday, sounds like you had loads of fun. I saw that hunter guy enforcing the draft! Glad he wasn't the one who nabbed me ;-)

2009-11-11 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Ben it was great to meet you!!!  You were always so full of energy and excitment---that's awesome.  So a goal of under 14 and you go 12:31?!?!?!?!  Amazing!
2009-11-11 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Fantastic job Ben! I knew when I seen you come out of the swim that you were going to do so good CONGRATULATIONS IRONMAN!!!

2009-11-12 9:50 AM

Thanks guys and girls
2009-11-12 1:29 PM

trying to add photos

(c.gif)

(b.gif)

(f.gif)

(a.gif)

Attachments
----------------
c.gif (1KB - 33 downloads)
b.gif (1KB - 19 downloads)
f.gif (1KB - 18 downloads)
a.gif (1KB - 23 downloads)
2010-06-05 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
congrats ben!  great job and awesome report!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance Rss Feed