General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ever done a relay? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-01 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
Subject: Ever done a relay?
I am trying to get some of my buddies going on tri's, so I talked them into a relay. Anyone ever done one?

The one we are doing is this weekend - it is a reverse sprint - I really wish I were doing it solo! Finally the swim is where it ought to be - where the real atheletes can rise to the top while the runners can sink... but I digress.

What rules do I need to watch out for. In the last sprint I did I remember the judge saying that for relays, the second and third legs need to not be in their gear before they are touched - is this standard? He expected you to be in your bare feet when the swimmer touched you, then you would go put your cleats and helmet on. I guess the runner had to start barefooted too! Anyway - ios this the norm and what else is there to look out for?

2005-06-01 8:24 PM
in reply to: #167017

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: RE: Ever done a relay?

I've done two relays.  One as the cyclist and one as the swimmer.  Most of the bigger races with a relay division have a relay holding pen area.  The swimmer comes to that area after the swim.  There the cylist takes the timing chip from the swimmer, and puts it on his ankle.  Then he runs to the transition area to pick up his bike.  He can have his shoes and helmet on while waiting for the swimmer.  At the end of the bike, the cyclist racks his bike and then goes to the holding pen to give the chip to the runner.

The other race I did years ago the cylist and runner could wait in the transition area and make the exchange there.  I believe the first method I mentioned is the norm, but smaller races may have different set ups.  The important thing is to be aware of what the rules are for your race.  If they have a pre-race briefing, make sure you and your teammates are there to hear the rules.

PS.  We want a close up for the avitar swimsuit shot. :-)

2005-06-02 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

I have also done two relays, doing the swim and the bike legs both times (husband did the run). The races we did just had all the relay members waiting in the transition area for the chip hand-off (there was no holding pen area that nytrigal described). The relay members could be all geared up and ready to go, so they just had to take the chip and go.

Good luck with your race!

2005-06-02 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

Just did a relay 2 weeks ago - I did the swim...this was a sprint & there wern't any "relay" specific rules. What I did find interesting is that after the swim hanging out in the transition area & observing the various transition styles from the elites who get out in under a minute to others who spend over 5 miuntes eating, chatting, etc.

We had a good time & exposed our cyclist to tris but probably won't do another relay...

2005-06-02 8:45 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I also did a relay a couple weeks ago.  Relays were all "racked" together in transition area, but you could be "geared" up and ready to go when your teammate arrived.  Many teams had all members in transition at the same time to help with passing the chip (some teams appeared to have "extra" hands on deck too) and most of this was done at the outer edge of the rack (i.e., when the biker saw the swimmer coming up he/she would move to the end of the rack with the bike and pass the chip there).  No one seemed too concerned about whether there were any special "rules" for relay transitions.  There were about 20-30 teams, but the focus was obviously on the 1500 doing the whole distance.
2005-06-02 9:36 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Too funny what you said about the swim being last where it should be...couldn't agree with you more   Never done a sprint but if anyone in FL wants some one to swim or bike for them drop me a  line. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ever done a relay? Rss Feed