United States
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 11m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

drinking coffee at starbucks with one of the nicest chicks i ever had the privilege to meet - then tossing around in a sleeping bag in the back of my car, waiting for the sun to come up. such is the price one pays for meeting great people...
Event warmup:

shivering myself into semi consciousness. i'm not kidding. all the locals were in agreement that this particular weekend constituted one of the most aprupt temperature changes they had ever experienced. it was max. 50F when we started at 7:50 in the morning, 85F when we started the run.

Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

mass start. pros 5 min ahead. i gues not many people had a plan for this one. i chose to stick with the girl i met the night before. partly because she had a heckload of experience with tris, and not-so-partly because she had a really nice ass.
What would you do differently?:

- take along some warm up jacket that i'm ready to part with (i.e. toss at the gun signal)
- be a bit bolder with aforementioned chick the previous night. there was no sleep anyways.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

well, what can i say? this was a run-bike-run. there's not all that much that can go wrong with changing from running shoes into biking shoes and putting on a helmet.

get used to wearing your cycling shoes without socks. if they fit they won't give you blisters, and the omission of the sock change will save you at the very least, say, 30 sec? that little detail might make all the difference if you're aspiring for Kona. haha.

well ok - i'm glad i didn't worry about the details of my transition. since the whole plan went through a major change it would have been for naught. dump shoes and socks, put on other shoes and helmet - off we go.

totally trust the aforementionend chick when she said "just dump your crap in the T and pick it up again when you go through. it's not like a few seconds delay will hurt your 'rank'.
she was (or is) so right. why worry about something that is completely irrelevant to a first timer?

i realize that this won't wont work for everybody. just telling.
Bike
  • 3h 41m
  • 56 miles
  • 15.20 mile/hr
Comments:

this race course was hard as hell, but beautiful. the beauty almost made up for the harshness of the climbs, but not quite. one cool thing though was watching the pros (them being about 10 miles ahead of us) coming down the slopes at about 50 mph and passing pickups. all the while in the aerobars.

like - wow!

i didn't realize you could go that fast on a bike.

make sure that my bike is up to the almost constantaneous shifting in that kind of environment (it wasn't. i'm going to do something about that)

i *tried* to check out the race course ahead of time but i got rained out. if there is a chance to do so, though, i think it would help a lot.

i did train in a very hill environment and i passed a hell of a lot of people going uphills, just staying down and spinning. but they passed me again going downhills. that happenend over and over again.

lesson: downhill speed matters. gotta grow some guts and tri bar confidence. because the real killer is being in the aeros on a road bike transplant and having to switch to the drops to break while navigating some unkonwn turn, know what i mean?

check out the course if you can!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

don't really know what those questions mean. i didn't run into anybody, keel over, pick a fight, didn't take off into the wrong direction.

so i guess all was good.

ask aforementioned chick for phone number?

i didn't pass out. that's good enough for me.
Run
  • 2h 10m 40s
  • 132 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

they didn't talk baloney when they called this one "the world's hardest triathlon"

now, i've never done a triathon before, but i've done plenty of trail runs, and it's all about keeping your ankles from breaking on trail runs. this one has it all.

wear head protection. definitely wear something on your nogging.

i should have been faster but some part of me gave out. mentally.

on the bright side - the chick who trained me ran alongside me for the second loop (hurrah to Brad for allowing this!) that helped.

a lot.
Post race
Warm down:

dunno. i had to sit down and just hyper-ventilated for about 5 min. it was like my body just expected me to provided WAY more oxygen than i could deliver.

best warm down: have a friend around who's done it before.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i think it was my body

Event comments:

well - unless Brad had means to make the weather cooperate I can't think of a way how the race could have been better organized.

except one: he should get pay-per-use refreshemt for the spectators. all the people that came up for my sake complained about the lack of hot-dog-and-soda stands.

yes, this was my first triathlon, but not my first endurance race. in terms of organization and friendliness Tracy & Brad RULE!

Last updated: 2005-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
see below
Suit: ironman instinct
Course: the swim was supposed to be in beautiful Lake Clementine, a reservoir of the North Fork American River. unfortunately, they had a shitload of rain in the high sierras 2 days before the race. that made another dam break and spill its guts of driftwood and snowmelt right into the swim area. - swim canceled. replaced by a 3K run (and it wasn't a flat one, no siree!)
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 48F / 9C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:41:00 | 56 miles | 15.20 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: hilly. i mean Really hilly. the overall climb was estimated at more than 6000'
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:10:40 | 132 miles |  min/mile
Course: brutal. it was pretty much 1/2 a trail run with the rest added sections of REALLY steep fireroad uphill. yeah, some pavement downhill, too. just to run it up again.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-01 9:31 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
Subject: Auburn International

2005-06-01 10:39 PM
in reply to: #167049

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Auburn International
From what I've heard this course was actually a bit easier than last year's but it still sounds like a killer.  Congrats on finishing.  Sounds like you had a good experience.
2006-09-18 9:52 PM
in reply to: #167049

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Auburn International

Just went back to read some of your old race reports. This is funny. Whatever happened to the chick with the nice ???

Heh... OK, am reading more.....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Auburn International Rss Feed