Silverman
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 42m 59s
Overall Rank = 126/198
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

I've never had a "routine," so I guess I didn't really break the routine, but I did't do anything I've done before in previous races either.

I woke up early at 3:20 a.m. and got flak from my husband for being up too early, but I felt fantastically well rested. I ate a couple of granola packets that I got free at the race registration (no dairy, all natural) and a whey protein drink.

We got to the race start early, so I had a Hammer Bar and some flavoured vitamin water an hour before the start.

I talked with some wonderful people from Florida who had done the race before and gave me a bit of a "heads up" on things to expect. But the challenge of the bike course is pretty much beyond description. You must ride it to understand it.
Event warmup:

I've never warmed up for a triathlon yet. Bad girl.
Swim
  • 1h 08m 34s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was really surprised at this fast swim, but the conditions were fantastic. There were no waves, the water was superclear, the buoys large and orange and very little jostle (only at the very start).

Unlike at IM CDA, there was not stopping at the turns because of the "accordion effect." I wasn't kicked or hit, so there was no slow-down there. In IM CDA I was slowed down a bit because I needed to pee very badly (in pain), and I couldn't pee in my wetsuit because I couldn't relax. Not surprising this was a quicker swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim like this all the time.
Transition 1
  • 07m 17s
Comments:

I was a little disoriented coming out the swim, so my wetsuit strippers had a bit of trouble getting me out of my suit.

I grabbed a sip of gatorade to wash down some electrolyte tablets.

I got accosted by the sunscreen girls as I left the tent. I didn't think I needed more sunscreen than the 2 layers of ultra waterproof stuff I had, but my slight burn on my shoulders made me glad that the sunscreen appliers gave me a bit more sun protection. Thank you, ladies!

Put a towel in my bike bag (doh!) It made putting my arm warmers and socks on rather difficult.
Bike
  • 7h 39m 19s
  • 180.25 kms
  • 23.55 km/hr
Comments:

I thought I was going to die so many times on this course. I was really proud of myself for climbing the "Three Sisters" on my bike. After them, you are praying for the route to go downhill, but it doesn't. It keeps going up very slightly until you get into town. Then you get a little downhill, and then go uphill again. At this point your legs are screaming at you to finish, already.

Much harder indoor bike sessions. Really work at doing very high resistance repeats.
Transition 2
  • 05m 4s
Comments:

My left foot was in extreme pain and "on fire." I was massaging my foot in transition, and one of the volunteers asked if I needed bandages, but I felt that the pain was from the vibration in my left bike shoe.

Nothing. If my foot had been in better shape, I would have been out earlier.
Run
  • 5h 42m 48s
  • 42.16 kms
  • 08m 08s  min/km
Comments:

The first 1/2 marathon went well, but I got pretty sore and tired for the second half.

Not sign up for an iron distance only 10 weeks out. Not get sick twice in the last 3 weeks before the race, and miss a long run and several medium runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza and water in the warm tent, and a nice chat with some supporters (one who could commiserate with me about IM CDA weather this year). My present favourite song played on the radio in the car on the way back to the hotel adding to my "high." A cool shower in the hotel after.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having to take 3 days off training on peak week because of a cold and the whole last week of training because of the flu didn't help me. I didn't get to do my last long run or bike. Also, the fact that I signed up only 10 weeks out didn't help. If I had known earlier, I would have been able to build a better base with my coach.

Event comments:

This race was very important because it was to make up for not finishing my first Ironman in Coeur d'Alene this last June. I got hypothermia past the half-way point on the run, which left me very disappointed and a little demoralized.

I almost didn't do the Full because I had been sick with a cold and then the flu 3 weeks before the race and after the plane rides, my voice became froggy, which is usually the first sign of my yearly bout of bronchitis. I switched to Half on the Friday, but when the bronchitis didn't appear the next day. Meagan (sp?) Lowery allowed me to switch back to Full (THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU...).

I'm so glad that I did this race and my finish completely made up for the disappointment in Coeur d'Alene. It was my first completed Full iron-distance race, and I received an award for being 3rd in my age group.

This race is so well organized (it would have to be to let a neurotic triathlete change her mind twice) and fun. The volunteers were spectacular!! There was tons of food and drink at the aid stations, and plenty of aid stations. One aid station for every 10 miles on the bike and one every mile on the run. Chips, cookies, pretzels, gatorade, electrolyte tablets, water, flat coke, chicken broth, Hammer bars, etc.

This event is NOT TO BE MISSED!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:08:34 | 3862 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 0/198
Performance: Good
Suit: XTerra
Course: When I got out of the water, I thought that my time was too fast, and that the course was a bit short. However, at the post-race awards brunch, Dave Scott assured us that the swim course distance was indeed accurate.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:17
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:39:19 | 180.25 kms | 23.55 km/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: This course is brutally hard. Really. The most beautiful scenery on a bike ride I've ever been on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:42:48 | 42.16 kms | 08m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 4/5
Performance: Below average
Course: Pretty much all up and all down, like the bike route.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-12 10:01 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Silverman - Full Ironman

2009-11-13 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2511796

User image

Subject: RE: Silverman - Full Ironman
Congratulations. Quite an accomplishment!
2009-11-13 10:04 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Congratulations! Getting through 10k of climbing on the bike and then another 3k on the run is no joke.. Huge accomplishment.

Congrats again..
2009-11-13 10:17 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Great job - especially for signing up 10 weeks out and the challenges in that window!
Makin' up for CDA in a big way!
Thanks for the positive feedback on the race
2009-11-14 1:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas
Great job. 

I was a volunteer at the second to last bike aid station and could see the enormous effort that bike ride took. 

I was planning on the full boat next year but after seeing you all, I now plan on only the 1/2 Silverman next year.  Thanks for the reality check.
2009-11-14 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2513520

User image

Regular
alltom1 - 2009-11-13 10:04 PM

Congratulations! Getting through 10k of climbing on the bike and then another 3k on the run is no joke.. Huge accomplishment.

Congrats again..

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but according to the official bike profile on the website, there was 58.9 miles of climbing!!! That works out to a little under 95km of climbing for the Full. The run profile was 10.5km of climbing!! I can honestly tell you that it felt like more.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations. Running through that chute was one of the true highlights of my life.

It is very easy to compliment this race, as they did a fantastic job! I cannot give enough praise to Lowery Multisport for their hard work on this event.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverman - Full Ironman Rss Feed