Pacific Masters
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 3s
Overall Rank = ?/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I've done this swim like 5 times, it's a yearly event for me. However, I did my usual routine the night before of not being able to get to sleep until 2:00 am. With a 4:30 am wakeup call that is not much. Drove to Lake Berryessa with my sister (about 1.5 hours), had some Odwalla, and yogurt.
Event warmup:

The event (as one kid said today) is like a huge play-date for adults, so everyone's out there with their blankets, towels, coolers, chairs, sun shades etc. Warmup consisted of hauling stuff to the site, setting up, cheering sis as she set off on the two mile swim, cheering other 2-mile waves, going and getting the T-shirt and mug. Got into the water about 5 minutes prior to my wave of the 1 mile swim.
Swim
  • 45m 3s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Found out the announcers had LIED to us when I got in the water. It was so NOT 75 degree water. It was cold (or, at least, I was cold). Swam back and forth until I could catch my breath and put my face in the water. Swam to the start buoys and we were OFF! The lake had a good swell going. I caught the swell wrong twice while breathing and took a big gulp of water instead of air. I had to stop to clear my throat. I've never caught a swell wrong to that extent before, so I'm not sure if it was the fact that the swells were pretty bad (for this body of water) or the fact that I haven't been back swimming for very long. Also, I was having a very hard time navigating for the first few hundred yards. I was swimming very zigzag. Every time I'd look up to site the buoys would be off to the side somewhere instead of in front of me. I finally got that straightened out though and I was able to get into a groove for most of the race and swam mostly freestyle with some backstroke thrown in. I committed to only breaststroking around the buoys (which I was able to do, except for the aformentioned attempts to swallow the lake.) Overall, I'm happy with how I did. My goal was 45 minutes (or under) and I hit that almost exactly.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. I've only really been back swimming for the last two weeks and that shows in my time for this race. I could have been much faster (in fact, I have been.) My cardiovascular system was not really stressed by how fast I was swimming. My muscular endurance was more of a limiter.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around in the sun trying to get warm. Ate food we brought, shared friends picnic, they brought, hung out some more, finally packed everything up about 2:00 pm and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough time in the pool.

Event comments:

In my opinion, this is the BEST Pacific Masters Event. It is like a huge party, everyone comes, hangs out, swims and leaves. They have shuttles to and from the parking areas and this year had about 2000 swimmers participating.

Last updated: 2005-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:03 | 1760 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Regular Swim Suit
Course: Triangular shaped course. Very well-marked.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-04 10:37 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Berryessa 1 mile swim

2005-06-05 8:11 AM
in reply to: #168792

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: RE: Berryessa 1 mile swim
Nice work on the swim - sounds like a great swimming event. A buddy is talking me into doing the a 1 mile in Whiskeytown lake this September, so I guess I better start getting my butt out in the lake for some practice swims.Dennis
2005-06-05 3:47 PM
in reply to: #168792

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Berryessa 1 mile swim
Great job! That is great after only being back in the water for 2 weeks and having a sinus infection!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Berryessa 1 mile swim Rss Feed