NY Triathlon Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 12s
Overall Rank = 94/441
Age Group = F50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

I was very organized. I had everything packed the night before. I had made up my breakfast drink. In the morning I put the bike and my gear in the car, and ate my Clif Bar and Juice PLus Complete shake on the drive up. I had left the house around 6:10 and arrived at the race site by 7:05.

I got my transition area set up and did my walk through of the area.
Event warmup:

I did about a 4 mile warm up on the bike. A few strokes in the lake before the start of my wave.
Swim
  • 11m 18s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the first wave. Each wave was 50 racers. There were only 3 women in the wave including myself. This was going to be really interesting being with all these guys. I was hoping my bike wouldn’t be the only one left by the time I finished the swim. I was also hoping these guys wouldn’t kick and trample me in the water. What I’m forgetting is that I’m a half way decent swimmer and it’s the run where these guys are going to kick my butt.

Finally the horn goes off, and I plunge in. Lisa and I are swimming next to each other, and I’m not getting kicked too much. I manage not to have my mask kicked out of place. Though considering how badly it started fogging up, maybe it would have been better kicked out of place. I had forgotten to spit in my mask before the swim. I pushed the pace on the swim. I decided I had to get over this fear hyperventilating. Also having my main competition right near me, and swimming with all these guys got me pumped up. I got around the last buoy okay, but it was getting harder, and harder to see through the fog. I stayed as close as I could to the rope, but it was impossible to see the beach. I was going to have to go by water depth alone.

What would you do differently?:

Spit in my mask and make sure it's not going to fog up.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

I had put my mask under my swim cap since last year I almost had my goggles kicked off. I should have pulled the mask off right there, but I wanted to get the wetsuit unzipped and off my arms. I missed seeing the lip between the sand and the grass, and tripped. Fell right on my face into a group waiting for their wave to go off. I let out a some what loud “Shit!” People asked me if I was okay, and I said I’m fine. I thought last year was bad landing on my ass while taking off my wetsuit. At least no one was near me when I did that. This face plant was in front of a crowd, and I was in the first wave with the tri-studs. LOL

By the time I got to my rack, I noticed Lisa was gone already. I guess her swim and T1 went a little better then mine. I still have problems getting the right leg of the wetsuit over the chip. Maybe there’s something to be said for the people with their milk crates and buckets to sit on

Take off the mask and look where I'm going.
Bike
  • 37m 33s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I forgot how challenging the bike course actually is. There aren’t any steep hills, but lots of rollers. Since it’s out and back what goes down must come back up. I was expecting to get smoked by a bunch of guys on the ride, but much to my surprise it wasn’t happening. I passed quite a few guys myself, and with the exception of one guy with a 200 number no one went flaming past me. I think it may have been the guy who won the race.

I spent a lot of time trading places with a few guys. I’d pass them on the climbs, and then they’d come past me on the descents. I’m keeping my eye out for Lisa, not knowing how much of a lead she had gotten on me from the swim. I see her up ahead, and I figure I should be able to catch up with her. After the turn around, I finally catch up with her, and pass. Even though we are rivals we’re also friends so as I pass I said. “I’m getting my jollies now. See you on the run.”

I continue my game of cat and mouse with these two guys. The cycle of I pass climbing while they pass descending continues the entire way back. Finally as we get up to the top of the last hill and make a sharp turn back into the park the one guy who was still with me said, “Go ahead.” The last ¼ mile is a rough bumpy road and it’s hard to get my shoes unstrapped in order to do a leave the shoes on the pedals dismount.

Nothing. I was really pleased with the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

I did manage to get the shoes loose, but I came out of the wrong shoe first. I don’t know what it is, but I can not stop on the bike putting my right foot down first. Some how I managed to do it, but my left foot was still in the shoe. I pull my foot out of the shoe, and run into the transition area right past my rack. I forgot my rack was right there by the entrance. I'm not used to being on the "elite" racks.

Get out of the shoes a little earlier, and pay more attention to how close the rack is to the entrance.
Run
  • 27m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The weirdest thing about starting the run was that there was no one in front of me. I’m used to always having someone to follow. Since I was in the first wave, the bike studs were way in front of me, and the run studs hadn’t caught up yet. It was one of those times I actually had to rely on markings and volunteers who were on the ball to know where to go. The first and last parts of the run intersect so the course markings are a little confusing. At least I did not have someone running at me from the other direction.

Now it was a question of how much of a lead did I get on Lisa from the bike, and how long before she caught me on the run. It’s a challenging run in that after you leave the park you start running uphill into town. Also it was quite hot, and humid. That was something I was not used to since it’s been a cold rainy spring. I needed water but they didn’t have an aid station until around 1 mile. I hit the 1 mile mark in 8:30. I knew that was not going to be fast enough to keep Lisa at bay.

As I ran through the middle of town there was a large group of guys cheering for Phil and Lisa who both passed me right at that moment. I tried picking up my pace some but Lisa just has a steady pace that’s faster then mine. More people passed me on the run. Some of these guys just fly. Another woman went past me and said “Come on girl, you can run!” This gal sure could run. She came in 2nd woman overall and did the run in 22 minutes. The last ½ mile of the run is painful. It’s uphill the entire way right up to the finish line. I was hoping to beat last year’s time but I could see as approached the finish line it wasn’t going to happen. When you’re in the first wave the time on the clock is your actual time.

Run faster! However that's going to take more work. Running is not my event.
Post race
Warm down:

Did a six mile cool down ride with one of my cycling club teammates.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was hotter then forecasted. It was supposed to be raining, and it turned out to be sunny and humid. The weatherman hasn't a clue! I wasn't ready for the heat.

Event comments:

It's a nice low key race that gets a good turnout every year. The local community really helps out, proceeds go for local youth programs.

Last updated: 2005-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:18 | 600 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 97/441
Performance: Average
Suit: IM Stealth Full
Course: Straight out and back in a small lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:33 | 13 miles | 20.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 40/441
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out and back course with rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:06 | 03.1 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 230/441
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly loop.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-05 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: Pawling Triathlon

2005-06-05 7:19 PM
in reply to: #169041

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Pawling Triathlon
Good job, Polly. Sounds like you executed the perfect race (well, except for that little face-plant thing)!
2005-06-05 7:33 PM

Master
Boston
Hi Polly-
Wow, I had no idea any one else knew about Pawling! My grandfather lives in Pawling and he even told me about this triathlon several weeks ago. He wanted me to come up and do it. Unfortunately, shipping my bike would be a hassle, plus I had school, etc. Anyways, great race, and sorry it was so hot and humid. Sounds like a Florida day! And congrats on being number 2 in your age group- VERY impressive!!
2005-06-05 7:52 PM
in reply to: #169059

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
It actually sells out ahead a time so you probably would not have been able to get a few weeks ago.  It's a nice race.  You should think about combining a visit to grand dad with the race. 
2005-06-05 8:11 PM

Elite Veteran
Great race; how did they score your dive? 9.9ish? You are such an awesome biker--a real inspiration--congrats on what sounds like a fun race. Lisa? Who needs a friend like her?
2005-06-06 3:32 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
What a great race and a great race report Polly. How fun to know your competition and plot ways to get ahead, stay ahead, etc. You had a fabulous race and a super bike (of course!) Congratulations on a strong podium finish!

2005-06-06 3:52 PM

User image

Congrats on the 2nd place AG finish! 
2005-06-06 5:53 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
CongratulationsPolly..Boy you sure smoked that course. A total inspiration.  Take care and enjoy the post race glow..remember there are some of us who can only dream of sub 10 minute miles much less su 9 minutes miles.  Congrat on a great job. 
2005-08-26 7:43 AM

User image

Regular
Hi, it's dawnieruns from Poughkeepsie i plan for my first tri to be the Pawling 2006, and live less than 20 miles from the lake...Can you tell me what roads the bike/run course are held on? Thank you so much I read your race log and it is already very helpful- i'm going to work on my hills! Dawn
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pawling Triathlon Rss Feed