View Member's Race Log
Climax/Kalamazoo, MI
United States
Total Time = 2h 42m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the race this morning. Didnt have a good rest. Kept falling asleep at the wheel. Was alittle worried that I WOULDNT MAKE it to the race in one piece...fell asleep like 3 times at the wheel...not good..=p
Event warmup:

Tired from yesterday's 100 mile ride + brick. Should have taken the bike for a little spin but didnt.

Just stretched while waiting at the beach for the start.
Swim
  • 39m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

Its not alot of people...just about 180? BUT its the FIRST TIME I swam with so many people, with people hitting me all over. I FREAKED OUT!! I was hyperventilating and panicked...I was gasping for air. Even breast-stroke was difficult. I ALMOST wanted to call for help! It was THAT BAD...I felt like I was going to drown...my HR was high and it was horrible.

I didnt drink any of the water, but I was bobbing up and down the water, gasping. Took me quite awhile before I settled down and actually could swim again. Breast-stroked for quite awhile.

It was better when I saw one guy going as slow as me. He didnt swim free-style at all. Just breast-stroke and backstroke. I kinda followed him and he did most of the sighting for me :)

I seriously need to improve my swimming. Something screwed up over the last month with my swimming and it has been EXTRA horrible since. I cannot explain why....don't know whats wrong.
What would you do differently?:

ACTUALLY SWIM?!?!

I'm disappointed with my inability to actually swim properly after spending so much time in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

I wore my speedos, under my bike shorts and THEN had my wetsuit on. Reason for the speedos is that I will be running in my running shorts and THERE CAN BE NO NUDITY IN THE TRANSITION AREA! :)

Had alittle trouble getting the wetsuit off. But I wasn't surprised when I saw that my transition was 4.5 mins. I didnt practice transitioning at all since its not that impt for the IM.

I could have probably saved 1-2 mins if I practiced before hand. Putting on bike gloves for an Oly might be excessive.
Bike
  • 1h 12m
  • 40 kms
  • 33.33 km/hr
Comments:

Even splitted both loops. 36 mins for first loop, 36 for the second loop

I thought that the course wasn't too bad. Nice roads. Not very hilly. Nothing that really needs to get out of the saddle for. I sat in aero for the majority of the 2 laps except when getting bottle to drink and turning some tight corners where I had to break. One or 2 major bumps in the road that threatened to shake off my helmet =p

Good bike course with some ups and downs so that its not too boring and one can get some good speed on the downhills.

I didnt look at my speed throughout the ride, kept the bike-computer screen to cadence and time. Time so that I remembered to drink and take in carbs every 10-15 mins. And cadence so that I kept it high and didn't mash too much.

Its been a long while since I rode long in the Big Chain ring. Did yesterday's entire century in the SCR. Felt good in the BCR.

HR was high but I kept it rolling since I knew I could keep up a HR of 160+ for 2 hrs.

I got a kick from passing people with AERO WHEELS!! Seriously felt GREAT when I pass a $1000 pair of wheels..hehehe :)

No one passed me on the bike. :)

Then again, most of the FAST people were at the front end of the pack since they got out of the water MUCH MUCH earlier.

Bike Harder? I left some time on the bike course. Hard to say what will happen on the run if I biked harder. But I felt that I COULD have gone harder.

Drink alittle less. I felt that I drank abit too much and had abit of water slushing around in my stomach during the run. (Probably turned out to be a good thing, it was VERY HOT TODAY)
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Racked bike, stripped up my bike top, gloves, helmettook off bike shorts, took off bike shoes, put on running top, running shorts and running shoes!

I think I DID AWESOME in this transition considering I had a FULL CHANGE OF CLOTHES!! :)

A tri-short would have shaved some time, but I don't like the idea of running in tights.

I like to be light and free. Running shorts :)
Run
  • 44m
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 24s  min/km
Comments:

I ran my first 2 miles at about 7:30 min/mile pace according to my stopwatch. Was alittle surprised at my pace but kept it rolling.

First 2 miles were relatively easier, HR kept at high 160s or low 170s.

Stepped it up a notch in the last 2 miles. I was breathing hard and people could HEAR me catching up with them because I sounded as if I was wheezing....I think I sounded quite horrible. Oh well...

Last mile was definately a sub 7 min mile. Sprinted to the finish line. Hit the HR max of 192 there.

Again, no one passed me on run...but most of the fast guys have already finished at this point.

Interesting point. I was cheering some people on in the run, and spoke to this guy. He was in his second loop when I was in my first when I "overtook" him. He ran beside me for awhile and I asked if it was his second loop and he said yes. I replied it was my first. He looked visibly MORE relaxed...hehehe...guess he thought he was gonna lose a spot on the overall rankings. DAMM MY STUPID SWIM!!!

Hmm...open up the throttle alittle sooner. Judging by my strength in the final mile, I probably could have started increasing my pace alittle sooner. Probably at the end of the first loop. That should cut about 30s to 1 min off.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of a rocket-powered aqua-propulsion device.

Swimming 10 mins (30 min swim) faster with a LOWER HR would have allowed me to go HARDER on the BIKE AND RUN... :(

Event comments:

MY FIRST FREAKING TRI-RACE!! :)

I completed it. So thats good enough :)

Last updated: 2005-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Avg HR: 164 Max HR: 176 2 laps around the small lake. Even split both laps.
Suit: Orca
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:00 | 40 kms | 33.33 km/hr
Performance:
Avg HR: 164 Max HR: 173
Wind:
Course: 2 laps.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:00 | 10 kms | 04m 24s  min/km
Performance:
Avg HR: 178 Max HR: 192?!?!??!?
Course: Trail run. Not a good route. Some sand patches, some STAIRS??!? some road, so trail...and the trail route was like SLANTED to the side. I rolled my right ankle and it hurts alittle.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-06-05 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
Subject: Seahorse Challenge

2005-06-05 8:45 PM
in reply to: #169088

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Seahorse Challenge
Great race, the swims get better with racing experience. Your bike and run times are awesome.

Ken
2005-06-05 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Hey my Singaporean triathelte friend...   The race report was great....  It is true the swim was scary for me at the beginning...  It gets better with practice....   But you did awsome man...  The bike was impressive and the run... Holy S*&T... it was fast...  Congratulations... i guess now you are a triathlete..  For IMCA you must think of a strategy for the swim...  and I am glad you did not ask for help....  it will be great..  

cheers...  and Congratulations...

2005-06-05 10:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
well done Charles - you raced well all things considered! GREAT bike and SMOKIN' run! Swimming will improve - get some more OW experience and you will feel a lot better. Now get some REST!!!! M
2005-06-05 10:30 PM

User image

Great job triathlete!  Smoking run, and 20 mph average after doing a century the day before???

You're like a regular James Brown with all the costume changes!!

COngrats!

Chris
2005-06-05 10:37 PM
in reply to: #169155

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan

Hey mate, that was an amazing effort!!  Especially considering the workout you had the day before...unbelievable!!

Your bike and run splits were awesome.  If I can go even close to those next week I would be very happy.  As for the swim, well, it can only get better as they say.

2005-06-05 10:52 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Charles, man.....YOU ROCK!    Great race, no worries on the swim.....You still did it!  Funny RR too.....I like the cake, it was pretty cool!
2005-06-05 11:48 PM

Online or Offline

Excellent race, Charles! Good for you for sticking it out on the swim, and awesome bike and run splits! Keep up the good work.

2005-06-06 12:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Awesome job Charles - you kept at the swim despite the panic and was able to carry on with a really strong bike and run.  AND following a 100 mile ride the day before!!  Really glad you didn't fall asleep on the way out to the race too.

Sounds like you made it a good training event for your IM - keeping it all in persective with great focus.

AND you did your first TRI EVENT!!!  Congrats!

2005-06-06 9:06 AM

User image

Awesome race Charles.  Just keep remembering that the swim will not make or break your IM.  Your run was super fast and your bike too.  Awesome stuff.  I agree with people saying that some more OW swimming will certainly improve how you feel about your swim...

Good job!

2005-06-06 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Good race!  My first race is all about learning a few tricks before the big ones.  Looks like you had both a good time and learned!  Excellent run!

2005-06-06 6:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-06-06 6:25 PM

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Charles - you ARE the MiMafia rock!  You showed serious, serious speed for doing this after a century and the dreaded swim...

Congratulations, triathlete!    It's all downhill from here...

2005-06-06 9:58 PM

Master
Marietta, Ga
Charles, awesome race.  You are a stud.
2005-06-06 11:02 PM
in reply to: #170022

Expert
Northern VA

Fantastic job Charles!!!  If you'll just take that anchor off before you start the swim I think you could challenge for the overall title! 

Best wishes for your IM - I think you're gonna do great!  I don't think its about the swim and you ROCK on the bike and run! 

Good luck with your training and career as you move back home.

And REMEMBER - I did pass you on the bike!  I was just going backwards in relation to you 

Oh yeah, I meant to mention - about your transitions with the speedos.  You might try wrapping a large beach towel around you and changing that way. I've been doing it on some of my bricks and it works pretty well.  Haven't been arrested yet!

Edited by glf33 2005-06-06 11:07 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seahorse Challenge Rss Feed