General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you do for living? And manage your training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2009-12-17 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2563509

User image

Regular
Manhattan, NY
Subject: RE: What do you do for living? And manage your training?
I'm 26 and I think as single as can be. I am the director of an international travel company. I split my year between Asia and the US, and over the last 4 years have been working to slow that travel pace down and this is actually the first year I've been able to devote any time really training for it (or figured it out). I'm not a total road warrior, as in flying several times a week for work, but rather living in multiple destinations across the year and not really having a home.

I have short-term living arrangements year round. This last year for instance was: New York (Jan-May), Delhi/India (May-August), Madison, WI (August-Sept), Delhi/India (Sept-Nov), Los Angeles (Nov-Dec), Madison (Dec), Los Angeles (Jan 2010), New York (Jan 25-May). I also have other travel obligations for sales/marketing, as well as a stop into our Cleveland offices every once in awhile. Running in Delhi in 110 degree heat is not something I find enjoyable, but it also makes it all part of the adventure!

Since I'm generally on the fly (hence my "trionthefly.com" blog name), especially when I'm in India during June-August, which is our busy teen travel season, I consider that my 'winter off season.' I have to rely on gyms across the country, and also shipping my bike from place to place now that I finally invested in triathlons, its just been running in the past, so I'm not looking forward to paying the NYC gym prices for a pool, but it will probably keep me from spending money on all the great food NYC has to offer as well!

My daily work schedule is generally 9-7 or so when I'm in the US, so I have flexible training time, especially with this warm LA weather I get in my schedule this year! I enjoy challenge, so I'm interested in seeing how this goes in preparing for my first HIM...the Revolution Half in Knoxville May 9 just before I fly back to India!

Edited by triscott26 2009-12-17 6:24 PM

2009-12-17 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2565593

User image

Veteran

Wow Scott, I hope your wife gets better soon.   BTW, great picture of your kids. 

Edited by nelsonv 2009-12-17 7:55 PM
2009-12-17 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DC Metro area
Career and volunteer firefighter on top of being a full time student..

Work 24 hours on, 48 hours off.

Train whenever I can, still not very good at this so time hasn't become an issue yet. Embarassed
2009-12-17 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
I am a golf professional.  Unfortunately this means being seen by as many club members as possible during a given day.  I plan my training around my work schedule.  Typically slower days, I get out a little early.  Somedays are busy mid morning on.  So I get it done before work.  My days off are Mondays and Tuesdays.  It's a little tough to find people to ride with on those days!
2009-12-17 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
i work in IT, with international travel and odd work hours sometimes..

My training adjust to as my work schedule shifts.. i miss out on a lot training and races because of it too..

Edited by momo 2009-12-17 8:39 PM
2009-12-17 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. Texas
Chiropractor, private practice owner for 10 years.  Currently work 3 12s  (M W and Th) and 5 hrs Fri am.  It has been less when I have had associate doctors working with me but am currently solo.  Have 4 Kids, 23 mo - 13 yrs.  One child is severely autistic and requires a tremendous amount of time.

Currently training for Marathon.  Most runs are at 10pm after kids are in bed.  My son 's sleep patterns are too unpredictable to train in the early AM...don't want him up wandering around the house alone and waking everyone else up.  Long runs can go until past midnight.  True, I don't sleep as much as I should but...well...you do what you do with the time you have.  Tuesdays I cross train on the bike after I get kids to school and finish paper work (wife is an RN and works 12s on Tue and Fri).  Weekends are reserved for kids activities, home stuff, etc.  Very little training on the weekends.

Occasionally get in a run or bike during lunch during the 12s but those are few and far between.

2009-12-17 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2563673

New user

Virginia Beach
I'm a 911 dispatcher too...we work rotating shifts so my schedule and days off change every 4 weeks.  It really messes with my workout schedule.  I usually loose a fews days of working out every shift change to get adjusted to a new sleep schedule.  My favorite shift to work is evenings so that I can walk my dogs and get my exercise in before work and then just come home and crash.  I'm married to a police officer, but no kids, so my workout schedule can be pretty flexible.  It sure is hard to get a work out in on midnight shift!
2009-12-17 9:46 PM
in reply to: #2565652

User image

Veteran

Wow Triscott26, you are a road warrior already but the high mile kind.  I've worked for a multinational for the last 13 years (8 at Microsoft and 5 at SAP) and something I could tell you I have done, thanks to my job, a lot of running in many countries.  I have run in Brazil, Venezuela, Spain, Mexico, Germany, Argentina, Chile, US (Washington, Texas, California, NY, Florida, etc...) among others...  Advice, buy, if you don't have, a Garmin kind of GPS and record your running in any and all countries you visit and post them as part of your blogs.  Trust me, is amazing and people love to see where have you been running...  Have fun...

2009-12-17 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2564245

User image

Veteran

Wow Bruce, Microsoft has really changed since I left it.  I remember the days when we were about to launch Windows 2000 and Brian Valentine would hold hostage all the development team for weeks until the big launch.  Well, that was fun too since we had Keg Parties every Friday.    I worked for Microsoft for 8 years and 5 of them I was a marathoner.  Microsoft is a great place to work and I'm glad that you are having a blast there.  Have fun!!!

2009-12-17 10:03 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Pump Systems Applications Engineer (also Product Trainer) for World-Wide Pump Manufacturer (BTW we use SAP).  Work is 8 to 5.  I train both in AM and PM but lately just AM as I am caring for my ill mother, making dinner every night.  When the days get longer, weather gets warmer I will run/bike after work.  I usually work out Saturday mornings also (long bike rides when weather gets warmer).

AM workouts take less time away from family but it's tough when you don't get to sleep until midnight etc.  I know it's not optimal but I still get up and workout even on 4 hours sleep.  I catch up on sleep on weekends etc. but to perform better this coming season I need to get in the habit of getting more sleep.
2009-12-17 10:12 PM

Master
STL
Mom. Teacher Aide in a preschool. Graduate Student. Wife.

(Don't tell my husband I put "wife" last)

Mostly get up early to get my workout in before work. Sometimes ride in the basement while i make the kids roller skate or something. Sometimes they go with me to the track. Summers: I swim laps while they are swimming.

2009-12-17 11:36 PM

User image

Veteran

Wow, it seems that I really stroke a nerve with this subject.  It looks that I’m not alone when it’s time to make time for family, work and training…  Thanks everyone for the feedback…

Reece, it is great you use SAP and I hope your mom gets better.

Meghan, I won't tell your husband if you promise you don't tell my wife...

2009-12-17 11:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. Texas
BTW....can I just say this is the coolest thread I've read in a long time!!  How can you have any excuse for not exercising at least a little after hearing what all of these people have to do just to get a run/swim/bike in.  Please keep posting!!!
2009-12-18 2:31 AM
in reply to: #2565954

User image

Regular
Manhattan, NY
nelsonv - 2009-12-17 9:46 PM

Wow Triscott26, you are a road warrior already but the high mile kind.  I've worked for a multinational for the last 13 years (8 at Microsoft and 5 at SAP) and something I could tell you I have done, thanks to my job, a lot of running in many countries.  I have run in Brazil, Venezuela, Spain, Mexico, Germany, Argentina, Chile, US (Washington, Texas, California, NY, Florida, etc...) among others...  Advice, buy, if you don't have, a Garmin kind of GPS and record your running in any and all countries you visit and post them as part of your blogs.  Trust me, is amazing and people love to see where have you been running...  Have fun...

Great to know there are others out there as well that have this same experience.  I actually just got a 310 XT, I had a Suunto Altimeter watch, but decided to upgrade the tech a little more.  Will definitely be posting routes to my blogs as I get the technology figured out.  Unfortunately I got a buggy HR monitor with the first one 2 weeks ago, and just replaced it.  My HR's falling below 100 after a solid workout just weren't making sense, I eventually realized it wasn't me using everything incorrectly, but a defect.

Ditto to the last poster's comment by the way.  Triathletes have to be some of the most dedicated people out there, both professionally, family-wise, and athletically.  Everyone's stories are so inspiring, thanks Nelson for starting this thread!

2009-12-18 5:13 AM

User image

Master
I'm a teacher. I get up at 4 AM on weekdays for an hour of workout. It's freakishly early, but there's minimal impact on family life, and it's a great way to start the day.
2009-12-18 10:54 AM

User image

Full time tempory worker for geologist.
40 hours per week, work Mon-Thurs or Tues -Fri, hrs. 6-4, 7-5, 8-6, 2 hours commute time.

Revise mining permits, Lots of Data entry of summer field work for geology and hydrology annual reports .

Mainly stress free work at a stress free pay rate.

Train in the evening during the week.
Saturday morning and Sunday afternoons.

2009-12-18 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2565344

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
"Is moving closer to work an option?  Not sure I could take the commutes you are currently going through."

We live in a nice town on the CT shoreline with a good school system and neither of us want to leave.  The closer you get to NYC the more pretentious is gets and I generally don't like it as much.  We've got a little of that here too, but nowhere near as bad.  I'm right on the train line and there are alot of people who do the same thing because its easier to find higher paying job in the city...eventually I'll look to just work in Fairfield county or closer but you gotta do what you gotta do.  Down the road I'll probably opt to take a pay cut and find something closer if I find the right fit.

In better news, I'm happy to say I implemented operation Work From Home today and got a nice 2 1/2 hr workout in before hopping on the laptop.

I'm with the others...I like this thread.  There is a shared understanding and sense of camaraderie between everyone struggling to accomplish their long todo lists in the hectic lifestyles we all live nowadays.

Edited by acumenjay 2009-12-18 11:05 AM
2009-12-18 11:38 AM

I'm an Assistant Director of Unviersity Housing for a local state university, father (boys 5 yo and 3 yo), husband to a working mom (she's awesome), and grad student.  Work is roughly 40 hrs per week.

I swim, bike, or run every day at lunch so sometimes I come in early or leave late to compensate for any extended lunches on the riding days.  I do longer runs/rides on the weekends when my wife (she works nights) and our two boys are asleep.  The boys are in bed by 8-830 every night so there is plenty of time to do weights in the evenings as well.

I've always been active and craved activity and physical outlets so exercise is just something I've always had in my life daily.  Nothing comes before God or family, but after that exercise is a must and a priority for me daily.  I don't watch much tv either, not enough time nor important enough when I look at everything else going on.  I don't care much for school so I spend as little time as possible on that; enough to get the grades I need to graduate.

I upgraded my diet to contain less sugar/sweets and more fruits and vegetables, as well as adding a big and healthy breakfast, and I have noticed I'm more energized throughout the day for all things.  I've generally been able to out work my poor diet, but I'm starting to realize as I add things to my schedule that I can't take that chance anymore.
2009-12-18 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran

Thanks to everyone…

I agree 100% with the comments regarding this thread.  It has showed all of us that we have in common more things than just a sport.  We are fathers, sons, mothers, spouses, brothers, only income person or DINKs and/or even just a bunch of crazy people that make time between working hours, late at night or early in the morning, to practice the sport or sports (swim/bike/swim) that help us keep our sanity. 

Keep the tread alive.  When I started it I was bit depressed and now I know I’m not the only one with problems or challenges.  Happy holidays!!!

2009-12-18 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
I am an administrator for a 4 doctor surgical practice. I work m-th 7:15-5:00, and fri 7-3. I can squeeze in a workout at lunch and usually try to get in 2 or 3 workouts during the week after work. I have a 6 yr old and a 1 yr old at home so my wife and I have to tag team the training. She is a runner so she doesn't need quite the time I do for training. We use the weekends for our longer workouts. We may miss some planned workouts but we just move on and don't sweat it too much. We plan the best we can and remain flexible so our family time doesn't suffer too much. This is a pretty interesting thread, thanks to everyone for sharing.
2009-12-20 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran

Thanks for the reply to all…  Tomorrow I start my IM training so I hope to put some blogs about the experience and the doubts I find…

2009-12-20 4:42 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
I work in construction management for site construction.  The time demands can be pretty ridiculous sometiems.  Mostly I balance my time by doing my scheduled trainings at different times of the day, or occasionally pushing an evening session that is pre-empted by work to a shortened version the next morning followed by the next day's scheduled session that evening.  If that doesn't work, then I sometimes miss sessions completely.
2009-12-20 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I am a Public School Adminitrator working with Programs serving students with Special Needs.  Most of my workouts are balanced out between the early morning and evenings both during winter maintenance and during tri season.  I wouldn't call my profession as having flexible time, but it works out that I don't often miss workouts due to work.  Most of the time my workouts are missed due to family comes first type activities.
2009-12-20 6:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
I am a deputy director for a state agency. Longish hours and longish commute. I also am married with 4 children, one with special needs.  I am fortunate to have a very supportive spouse and great kids, but it is still crazy. On a good week I get to a gym near my job in the afternoon about 2x a week during lunch hours, do masters swim twice a week, and otherwise alternate between 5 am workouts or 7 pm workouts. Weekends are the best and are really flexible but it still gets crazy. I keep 3 gym bags - one at work, and two at home- (regular plus a smaller one for the pool) - plus a treadmill and trainer in my basement. I piece it in the best I can - as stressful as it is getting the workouts in sometimes, I am a real monster when I miss too many. Right now I am suffering as special projects at work have been hammering me but it should let up soon and I CAN'T WAIT.
2009-12-20 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
i feel pretty fortunate im a career firefighter and work 10 days a month. 24 hour shifts. they are my days off from training. but i still find myself on the treadmill or in the weightroom. at home i have a wife thats a stay at home mom with my 3 and 7 year old daughters, they like to sleep late so i get all my training done in the morning and have the rest of the day with them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you do for living? And manage your training? Rss Feed  

of 5