United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 28s
Overall Rank = 85/159
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 21/33
Pre-race routine:

Drank lots of water the day/night before, ate pasta for dinner. Woke up at 5:15am, drank a couple of bottles of water before race time. Ate a bowl of Rasin Bran before I left for the race.
Event warmup:

Not much time to warm up before the race, a couple minutes of treading water before my start time.
Swim
  • 07m 31s
  • 200 yards
  • 03m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I improved on my personal best at the 200yd by about 45 seconds on race day. Though I felt comfortable in the pool I did notice I was very winded when I got out and made my way to the transition area. Swimmers started every 30 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

I did side stroke for this race. I haven't been able to get my freestyle stroke back as I have only been working on the swim for about 3-4 weeks prior to the race. I guessed at my swim time but it wasn't an issue as there was a couple of no shows near my number and the guy in front of me swam a bit faster than me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I had difficultly putting on my shirt. Putting on sneakers took a bit of extra time, but I'm on a budget.

Figure out a better way to pull on my Under Armor shirt or just bike without it.
Bike
  • 51m 22s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out slow as I was the only one on the road at the time, my heart rate was still elevated from the swim and I was trying to get it back down to the 145-150 that I had planned to maintain. I was impressed with my bike ride, went about 5 minutes faster than my best training time. Had a couple of issues on the road, one car didn't stop when signaled by the volunteer (lucky I wasn't really fast or it might have been a more serious problem) and I took one corner too fast and nearly went off the road on my own.

More time on the bike to improve my spead. Figure out a way to count a cadence on the bike in order to set my early pace.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Well, the transition to the run was very difficult, my legs didn't want to run, they still wanted to ride the bike. Lucky for me a fellow racer reminded me to remove my helmet for the run. The stairway out of the transition area was even more fun with my legs not wanting to move for the run.

More bricks in the couple of weeks prior to the next race. I did 3 or 4 before this one, several more would have been much more helpful I think.
Run
  • 30m 41s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 08s  min/km
Comments:

By the time I reached the run the sun was bright and the heat and humidity had risen greatly. There was only one water station on the entire run. I was a little disappointed in my run time, but knew I was in trouble from the start as it took nearly a mile to get so I could run with my regular stride. The remainder of the race wasn't too bad though it was slower than my normal times.

Drink a bit more in the second half of the bike portion. Dump water on myself to cool down. Ran a 3.5 mile charity race the Thursday before in a time of 31:34, next tri I do won't have this before hand. Hopefully that will help my run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit and then stretched out some.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was pleased with the swim and the bike times, the biggest limit to my preformance was being very hot, very thirsty, and having problems getting into a running stride for a good portion of the run.

Event comments:

This was my first race so I'm not sure how others would rate it, but I was very pleased with how I did.

Last updated: 2005-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:31 | 200 yards | 03m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/33
Overall: 73/159
Performance: Good
Exited the water in just over 6 minutes, the other time is the time required to go from the pool to the transition area. About a 200yd trek. I was winded enough that I didn't jog it, but I did do a quick walk.
Suit: Swim Trunks Only
Course: Six lane pool, after two lenghts would go under the rope into the next lane, after the sixth lane you were done. Was great not to have to count lengths of the pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:22 | 15 miles | 17.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/33
Overall: 60/159
Performance: Good
Kept Heart Rate about 145-150 during most of the bike.
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling Hills at the start with a couple of difficult (for a first timer) ones. Middle was rolling but fairly easy and a couple of rolling hills at the end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:30:41 | 05 kms | 06m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 18/33
Overall: 61/159
Performance: Below average
Heart rate was running close to 160 during the run.
Course: Rolling Hills, a nice down hill stretch in the last km or so.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-06 7:31 PM

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
Subject: Town of Pittsford Triathlon

2005-06-06 7:38 PM
in reply to: #169915

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: Town of Pittsford Triathlon

Congratulations, Triathlete!

Remember, you race for yourself, not for anyone else, so don't worry how anyone else rates your race - you did well enough for YOU!

You even PR'd your training times in all 3 sports - you cannot ask for better! Actually I wish you'd have indulged us and ran with your bike helmet on - that'd have been a great race pic!

Great job!

Edited by TypeA Girl Pilot 2005-06-06 7:41 PM
2005-06-07 8:12 AM
in reply to: #169915

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Town of Pittsford Triathlon
Excellent job--way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}