Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-01-25 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2604136

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Knee Rehab Thread
Surgery is tomorrow, 1 PM. I seem to have developed a stuffy nose. However, I have no fever, and although I am stuffy...my snot is clear (sorry for the TMI), and all of my symptoms are confined to my snotty head. No sore throat, cough, muscle aches, wheezy lungs, etc. So, I think I should be okay to go under the knife. :-)

2010-01-25 9:42 AM

I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes your way!!
2010-01-25 1:08 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

kevin - good for you.  

MMRocker - I put the date on my calander last month.  Good luck to you.

2010-01-25 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I lowered my seat back down to its normal height  (pre-surgery).  Then I rode the trainer hard for 30 minutes with most of the time spent in my racing gear and down on the aero-bars.  So  today I did knee/leg  PT  and then trainer.  I go back to the Ortho Dr next week and I am hoping he will let me do limited running in the next few weeks.  I think I will wait until 1 March before I run.

Lookinng back on this knee surgery I think my biggest mistake was not icing enough everyday.  I would recommend  icing every hour for the first four or 5 days when you are awake, keeping you knee wrapped to minimmize the swelling and go slow.  Then when rehab is suggested do those exercises just like you train for a race.

Kevin
2010-01-28 1:37 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I'm home! As sad as I am to leave hospital food and having to be wheeled, bum out to the world, tp the loo...I am much more comfy here. (Of course, they gave me a lot of drugs, so that could be helping, too... :p)

Surgery (which was tuesday) went well. Surgeon said the cut was perfect--nice and clean. I had a donor bone graft, which was nice, since they didn't have to cut open my hip, too.

Incision is about 9 inches, stitches, not staples (I haven't seen it yet, though...it's swaddled up better than the baby jesus). They went with a locking fracture plate, and it's 8 inches long with 8 screws. I am in a hunormous brace; I get up to 90 degrees of flexion...although I am only at about 30 max right now.  I'll be in the brace at least six weeks. Crutches/NWB for about 10...although it could be as long as 12-16.

Some pics:
The plate

The convalescence area (note one of many animals usurping my space)

Brace 1

Brace 2

http://i50.tinypic.com/212gy8y.jpg"target="_blank">Brace 3

I'll post some incision pictures on Friday when I get to change the dressings.

Edited by mmrocker13 2010-01-28 2:04 PM
2010-01-28 5:31 PM

User image

New user
Here is to a speedy recovery!  Hope it goes well for you.

2010-01-28 10:55 PM
in reply to: #2640499

User image

Elite
Reno

mmrocker13 - 2010-01-28 1:37 PM I'm home! As sad as I am to leave hospital food and having to be wheeled, bum out to the world, tp the loo...I am much more comfy here. (Of course, they gave me a lot of drugs, so that could be helping, too... :p)

Surgery (which was tuesday) went well. Surgeon said the cut was perfect--nice and clean. I had a donor bone graft, which was nice, since they didn't have to cut open my hip, too.

Incision is about 9 inches, stitches, not staples (I haven't seen it yet, though...it's swaddled up better than the baby jesus). They went with a locking fracture plate, and it's 8 inches long with 8 screws. I am in a hunormous brace; I get up to 90 degrees of flexion...although I am only at about 30 max right now.  I'll be in the brace at least six weeks. Crutches/NWB for about 10...although it could be as long as 12-16.

Some pics:
The plate

The convalescence area (note one of many animals usurping my space)

Brace 1

Brace 2

http://i50.tinypic.com/212gy8y.jpg"target="_blank">Brace 3

I'll post some incision pictures on Friday when I get to change the dressings.

wow, girl.   I wish you a speed recover!   Keep us posted.   I have a photo of both dog and cat in the convalescence bed that I should post.  The dog appears to "hold" an ace bandage and the cat appears to be in control of the remote to the let mover thing.   The critters will help you!  My dog will great me by smelling my knee these days.

I am caneless now, and rarely in a brace (keeping it for when it snows again or something).   I can go down stairs leg over leg if I concentrate really hard.   Riding the trainer a bit.  I need to get swimmin.

2010-02-03 4:49 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Ok here is the 5 week knee update. 

I had it drained again today (1 1/2 tubes of yellow fluid) and another cortisone shot.  Two more weeks of PT and another follow-up in 4 weeks.  My Dr did say no running of a marathon (never planed to run one anyways) but running once or twice a week will be fine.  He said I could start running whenever I feel like it.  So my triathlon career is not over but I will be limited to Sprint length races and maybe an Olympic distance race. Good news for me.

When you all read this thread to figure out how you may react to a knee scope with a torn meniscus please remember that I am 50 years old and big guy.  When I had this done on the left knee about 9 years ago I rebounded a lot faster or I dont remember having these issues.

Kevin
2010-02-03 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

Let me follow -up on this knee draining.  I had it done this morning at about 1030.  Right leg/knee has pretty much gone stiff here at 630 PM.  I need to leave work and get into some shorts and try some heel slides to loosen it up some.

Kevin
2010-02-03 6:22 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
So I am now 8 days post-op, so I thought I'd post an update. Up until Saturday, I was pretty pleased. I was off pain meds, doing all my PT, had ROM (unassisted) at 70 degrees (90 in the brace), etc etc.

on Saturday, I was trying to put on a sock, and I felt a pop on the opposite side of my bad leg (the medial side—closest to the other leg). Since then, I've had quite a bit of extra pain, and  I was worried that it was a torn ligament or more cartilage issues or something, and in general freaking out, so my doctor suggested I come in today to take a peek at it--although it was "probably nothing."

And it wasn't a ligament/soft tissue/cartilage issue. So that's good!! Yay! On the other hand, it also wasn't "nothing."

I broke my leg. Again. In another spot. Ha!

Basically, during the procedure, the surgeon stops osteotomy cut at some point before he reaches the other side of the femur. Some surgeons leave less, some leave more… but mine is fairly conservative, and he cut about 3/4ths of the way through the femur, leaving a good chunk before the cortext uncut (about a cm). He did this so the fracture doesn’t “complete”—or go all the way through. He thought a cm was good enough to prevent a completion of the fracture. After ruling out a cartilage tear or ligament damage, that was my main worry about the pain–that it was a completion and I wrecked the procedure.

Fortunately it wasn’t, and the osteotomy cut was still there and the correction still looked fine.

Unfortunately, the "pop" I felt putting on my socks this weekend, was another fracture--one that sprouted up perpendicular from the end of the osteotomy fracture, up and off the side of the femur. So, now I have a random chunk of femur hanging there. And an L shaped break.

Fortunately, according to OS, it shouldn't affect the correction at all. And he doesn't want to open me up to affix it it--he says if I back off PT a bit, stop toe touch, and keep the leg in the brace, it should heal alongside of the other one on its own. The risks of opening me up, cutting through muscle/fascia etc. and moving nerves around, to pin or staple the fragment back on outweigh the possible gains.

It will heal with a lump, since it's sort of popped away from the bone. And it will also set back my original projected heal date by 2 or 3 weeks. And he wants me in now about every 10 days for xrays to keep an eye on it. But other than that, it shouldn't affect anything major (well, aside from it hurts).

This tops my broken foot while standing around. Broken leg while lying in bed recovering from a broken leg. :p :laugh:

AND he said this was a "very unusual and unexpected complication." So...I am also a freak of nature for more than just the usual reasons. J

Basically, it’s a setback/complication, but as far as they go…it could have been worse. Really, except for the add’l pain (oddly enough, this one hurts much worse than the first oen)…it’s not too bad. JI do have to cut back on my exercises for awhile…which is annoying, b/c I tend to get antsy.

2010-02-04 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line

Oh crap - that stinks!  Hope you heal quickly....

2010-02-05 6:13 AM
in reply to: #2654194

Regular
North Wales, UK
Ouch! I hope the second fracture heels quickly. I am new here, but thought I'd share my recovery from a scope for a torn meniscus I had done 4 months ago. The meniscus issues have all healed very well. The first week of recovery was the worse, but I did not have any issues with swelling. I could not parent at all for the first 4 days. I was at work and getting around fine about 6 days after the surgery and perhaps tentatively on the elliptical after one week, and seriously on the elliptical and swimming after 3 weeks. At about 6 weeks I started a couch to 5k program about once or twice a week. The knee felt more stable almost immediately, but I could not really run for about 12 weeks. At 12 weeks I skipped way ahead the c25k and was back up to about 2.5 or 3 miles (it was a very cold day, too cold to run/walk and keep taking on and off layers). I've stayed there this past month and added more 2.5 or 3 mile runs. The meniscus issues are sorted and the PT tells me I have healed very well. What is not sorted are the biomechanical issues that probably got me into this situation in the first place. I have the beginnings of PF and some trouble in my calf on the same leg. I'm waiting for an appointment for orthotics. I still have knee discomfort but nothing like before. I wouldn't hesitate to do the surgery again.
2010-02-06 5:19 PM
in reply to: #2653483

User image

Elite
Reno

mmrocker13 - 2010-02-03 6:22 PM  Basically, it’s a setback/complication, but as far as they go…it could have been worse. Really, except for the add’l pain (oddly enough, this one hurts much worse than the first oen)…it’s not too bad. JI do have to cut back on my exercises for awhile…which is annoying, b/c I tend to get antsy.

I really wish you well in getting past this.  Good luck!

I am now 6 weeks post ACL and meniscus relair and feeling pretty good.   Braceless, crutchless, and caneless.   Swimming and biking on the trainer - I still have some swelling, but my range of motion is pretty good, and the strength is returning.

2010-02-06 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2659033

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
You're doing awesome!
2010-02-06 6:33 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Okay, out of bredom yesterday, I spent some time trying to recreate my second fracture with MS Paint (with which I am woefully inept)... It's not to scale, or even really accurate-My cut looks a little different, I have more screws, and they are in different places, and the break isn't that close to the bottom cortical screw. Plus, the distance from the crack up to the "chunk" isn't quite that long, and the size of the chunk is actually larger than that, but like I said: Pathetic with graphic design. But it'll give you an idea, anyway.

Here ya go...

I'm also a bit disgruntled right now, b/c my boss calls me yesterday to inform me that "working from home isn't going to be an option now." Something about HR found out and while the University has a flexible work arrangement policy and allows for telecommuting, our College, specifically, does not allow it.

(Which is amusing, b/c I have a few co-workers who call in at least 3 out of 4 fridays a month and say they have to "work from home" for some reason. One of those also "worked" from his cabin for a week this summer, and from Mexico for a week last spring, too.)

But I guess when my boss tries to arrange it for me legitimately...the College pisses on it.

I'm annoyed b/c my boss didn't check on this at all (last time, I think he never even mentioned it to HR, just turned in my FMLA paperwork when I returned to work...and didn't specifiy that I was working at home.). He basically just told me "Sure, go ahead" when I asked him a couple months ago when I was thinking about doing the surgery. So now, somehow HR gets wind of it, and they put the kibosh on it. Little too late in my case, I guess.

So, I asked if perhaps we could petition the college for an exemption for a short term case, and he said he'd try and ask his boss on Monday. Whatever. I can't stress about it, I guess, b/c there's nothing I can do, really. What's done-done can't be un-done and all.

Anyway, I don't know what's going to happen now; I was supposed to start work from home on Wednesday...but since they insist I HAVE to come in to do my work? I don't know, b/c my surgeon says I HAVE to stay put until the 17th. I do have a bit more sick time, but I didn't want to have to use it, esp. when I can do my job just fine--I just can't get IN to the office to do it... grr.

BUT...no sense worrying, I guess, b/c there's nothing I can do. :p I'm probably just over sensitive b/c I'm bored and restless. :p
2010-02-06 8:19 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I think I am in the home stretch with this knee rehab.  The second draining of the knee relieved the pressure and is allowing me to fully bend my knee.  I am walking up and down stairs normally and I feel positive that my knee won't fold when going down stairs. 

Swimming this morning I was pushing off the wall with both legs.  I have a longer trainer ride set for the morning so I will  give the knee a good workout.

I wish I had taken some pictures of the knee as I moved through this process.

Thank you all for the support.  My knee has allowed me to become friends with several of you.

I think I will try to run in about 2 weeks.

Kevin

2010-02-09 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

One more update.  This morning trainer ride (30 min),  elliptical (30 min) and then tonight after work  swimming with me setting a PR for 1000 yards.  My knee is handling the increase in intensity in my workouts.  1 1/2 weeks until I start running for the final test.

Kevin
2010-02-09 10:58 PM
in reply to: #2664729

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
b2673ad - 2010-02-09 8:50 PM Hello

One more update.  This morning trainer ride (30 min),  elliptical (30 min) and then tonight after work  swimming with me setting a PR for 1000 yards.  My knee is handling the increase in intensity in my workouts.  1 1/2 weeks until I start running for the final test.

Kevin

Excellent!  :-)
2010-02-16 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I felt something pop in the back of my right knee today at work.  I was just sitting at my desk with my leg straightened out.  

Kevin
2010-02-16 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2676517

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
b2673ad - 2010-02-16 8:53 PM Hello

I felt something pop in the back of my right knee today at work.  I was just sitting at my desk with my leg straightened out.  

Kevin

pain? stiffness? swelling? Most likely it's just stuff adjusting...
2010-02-17 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC

Hello

No pain when walking but a tweak when I bend my knee.  The pain is at the back of the knee toward the outside right at a tendon.  I am thinking this tendon is strained from all the trainer riding.

I cant tell is there is any swelling due to the location.  The knee itself (inside)does not hurt

Kevin

2010-02-18 7:48 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Hey guys... mmrocker invited me to the "b**ch about your knee" thread.

The background:  I've been having a lot of knee pain for the last few months (first time ever).  It all started after a heavy session of leg extensions at the gym (whihc I later found out are the WORST for your knees)

Got so bad could not run more than a few 100 yards.  Saw the ortho doc and after a MRI concluded I have some possible cartilage damage as well as a maltracking kneecap (plus I have a very shallow sulcus, the groove the kneecap rides in).

Cortisone did not touch it.

This last Monday he scoped the knee and clean out any fragments that might be there.  The bad news is that there were not a lot of fragments but the cartilage is VERY soft.  He also did a very slight lateral release.

So I'm now 4 days post op.  Leg feels fine.  A bit achy.  A bit swollen.  I can walk w/o crutches which is nice.

However he's not real optimistic about the next steps.  He has suggested MFX (which is 6+ week son crutches...hell I couldn't even take 2 days on crutches) with a dose of PRP at the same time.

He also took a cartilage Bx while he was in there so that they could regrow it outside the body and implant it at a later date.  That of course is an open procedure that takes 9+ months to recover from.

He said he could probably get me back running but not to the same level I was before.  At this point I'm not sure if an Ironman distance event is even an option anymore?

I was pretty pissed off after getting the news but I have to be hoinest compared to your situation mmrocker, I should nto complain.  That's a major injury.  It puts things in perspective.

Kevin - how bad did the swelling get before you had to have it drained.  Mine is swollen (of course) but it's not out of control.  I'm just wondering how bad is bad.  How bad was yours?

I will tell you these antibiotics are KILLING me.  Giving me major heartburn.  But better than gangrene I guess.

Edited by TriRSquared 2010-02-18 7:49 AM
2010-02-18 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2678971

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Hey triR... Welcome to the thread! I mean, it sucks that you are here, but we're glad to have you. I mean...well, you know what I mean :-)

Do you have a full thickness defect? If not, you should be safe from the mfx for awhile :-). It's not that bad though, really. Also, patellar procedures tend to have a better recovery over tib/fem stuff, b/c of the lesser weight bearing.

Hopefully, though you won't need any of them, and this will take care of it :-) Definitely give it a good solid amount of time to recover. Be dilligent with your PT, and keep at it.

Even after you've healed, make sure to keep up woth your strength stuff--keep your hips, glutes, hams, and quads in tip top shape. Hips are especially important. That's something I think a lot of docs and PTs are starting to pay more and more attention to. It always used to be quads quads quads, and it is still important, def. but more emphasis is being put on core and hips, which I think is good. I know it helps me tremendously.

2010-02-19 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2680866

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
mmrocker13 - 2010-02-18 9:35 PM

Do you have a full thickness defect? If not, you should be safe from the mfx for awhile :-).

I'm not sure what this means?  He said my cartilage is "soft" just about everywhere along the knee.  The photos from the scope show his probe going in a centimeter or so.  He said it should not be going in at all.
2010-02-19 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2681442

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
TriRSquared - 2010-02-19 9:06 AM
mmrocker13 - 2010-02-18 9:35 PM

Do you have a full thickness defect? If not, you should be safe from the mfx for awhile :-).

I'm not sure what this means?  He said my cartilage is "soft" just about everywhere along the knee.  The photos from the scope show his probe going in a centimeter or so.  He said it should not be going in at all.

Full-thickness means the cartilage is missing to the bone. A microfracture is only done when the lesion is full thickness. So he may just be preparing you for an eventuality.

Are you taking glucosamine/chondroitin at all? It certainly can't hurt (unless you're allergic to shellfish :p).

Def. keep up your strength stuff--abs, back, hips, glutes, quads--and try and avoid hard surfaces in your running. This will take as much impact off of your cartilage as possible. Soft isn't great--but at least it's still there. Def. try and keep it as long as possible :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Rehab Thread Rss Feed  

of 6