United States
59F / 15C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 30m
Overall Rank = ?/
Age Group = 25-29F, Athena
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Race was supposed to start at 9 am, started at 9:15 because two triathletes got married on the dock before the race! Had a banana and half a powerbar at 6:30, two glasses of Gatorade. Got there early to have my bike inspected, check in, etc.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam a bit.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

I did absolutely horrible in the swim. I have swam a lot more before this race than my last one, but is my second time swimming in open water in my life. That made a huge difference. I got in the water and warmed up, etc, which helped a lot, but I did the breast stroke the ENTIRE time. It was honestly like I had never swam before. That was slightly frustrating. I got kicked a few times and was in a mass start, which was fine and didn't bother me. Since I did the breast stroke the whole time, I was basically exhausted when I was done with the swim. It was my first time to ever wear a wetsuit in my whole life. I was surprised how buoyant I was! I liked it!
What would you do differently?:

Practice swimming in open water! That will make a big difference. I was surprised how different it is from swimming in a pool, even despite the low wave/chop conditions.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition was pretty good. My legs were pretty wobbly coming out onto the boat ramp but I ran up and started peeling off the wetsuit pretty quickly. I was able to down a Hammer Gel, even tho I had to jump around while doing it (I hate them:) ). It took too long to put my jersey on, which I waited to put on because it had my number on it so I couldn't get it wet.

Buy a belt to put my number on, keep the jersey on in the swim. Practice taking a wetsuit off :)
Bike
  • 00m
  • 25 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind was really frustrating. I felt like I had absolutely nothing left after the swim, and to go up a big peak right away was hard. The wind made it really frustrating because once I got up to the top of the peak and wanted to go downhill quickly, the wind was too strong! One racer got hit by a car, which was really scary, but he is in stable condition. The race volunteers were pretty good at directing people and did all they could. I did get passed by a few people but tried to not let it upset me. I stopped to help one guy who didn't have a CO2 cartridge because I knew I was not breaking any records, so 30 seconds out of my time does not matter. He then blew by me on his bike:) It was a pretty course, but the wind made it extremely difficult and tiring. I did, however, put down a gel on the bike, and some gatorade and water. It should have been more, but better than I've done before.

The biking portion is always my strongest part and it was frustrating when I tried to go hard but I had nothing. The only thing that could have helped me is to do a lot better on the swim.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I was so tired after the biking that I honestly didn't think I could finish. THere was NO way I was not going to finish once I got into T-2! I used Speed Laces for the first time and really liked them. Also hit a Hammer Gel in transition and some water, and packed one for the run

Nothing!
Run
  • 00m
  • 6 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The run was better than I expected. I was absolutely exhausted after the swim and the bike, but my legs held up pretty well except for cramping at the end. I was able to pass some people on the run. There was only one aid station instead of three, which was frustrating because I would have brought water with me if I had known that. The run was pretty, though, and was set up so the fast athletes were running opposite your path on the way back. Some people were really encouraging.

I had to walk some parts because my leg just hurt too badly. I would have taken some water with me and I wish I could have run the whole thing. I did, however, pass some people, which made me happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, put my bike on my car, drank some water and gatorade, ate an orange, laid in the grass after cheering some finishers on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim completely hurt everything else. I was incredibly slow and then was exhausted for everything else. That really needs to improve. The bike was hard because of the hill and the wind. It surprised me how much I rely on my spedometer because I was really frustrated when it wasn't working.
It also really hurt me that I didn't work out for two weeks before the race. One week there was no real good excuse, the second week I had food poisoning and was really sick. That also limited my ability to hydrate properly. I felt reasonably hydrated but really felt like I had no energy during the race and almost threw up a few times.
I was incredibly frustrated after this race because I felt like I had never worked out before and felt basically like a big idiot. The good news is I have plenty of room to improve and am going to do so. Even though I was really upset after the race and swore to never humiliate myself at one of these again, I will do another one. In fact, a month from now!

Event comments:

The maps for the course were poor because they did not inform anyone of any elevation changes. The volunteers were great and cheered everyone on. The race was set up very well for the most part! I also have a T-Shirt with a potato on it-hard to top that!!

Last updated: 2004-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Quinta Roo
Course: I have only done courses with two loops for the swim. It seemed SO long with one loop! In Lucky Peak Reservoir. Gorgeous course, very little chop.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 25 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Enormous hill on the bike, went to the top of Lucky Peak and then down into the City. Absolutely gorgeous course!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 06 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: A loop that ran on part paved trail, part dirt trail. Ran next to the river, which was really pretty and kept you cool. They announced your name as you finished, which I liked! :) Well actually I wished they would have announced someone else's name at the end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-12 9:50 AM

User image

T1
Subject: The Original Spudman

2005-06-12 2:30 PM
in reply to: #173253

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: The Original Spudman
Sounds like you learned a lot from this one. The wetsuit and open water swimming will get easier with time - try to spend some time just kind of hanging out in the water in the suit, that helped me get used to it.  Way to finish strong!
2005-06-12 4:08 PM

User image

Interesting race report Victoria.  Good race, and lots of learning...I am also struggling with open water swimming.  I want to master that this year so I can do olympic distance races.  I'd like to add this one to the race calendar because my family lives in Boise.

I think you did well considering how sick you had been during the week, too.

2005-06-12 11:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
Hi Victoria!

First off, congrats on the race!! I think all things considered you did great. I know what you mean about swimming in open water, it's like a completely different sport. My first race a few weeks ago was the same kind of eye-opener, I was just 110% exhausted coming out of the water. Ocean swimming = HARD!!!

BUT - you stuck with it and finished strong and that says a lot about you. Well done!! Congrats!!
2005-06-13 7:09 AM

User image

Regular
Pacific Northwest

Way to go Vic!! You are amazing just to be out there after all you have been through so give yourself a LOT of lattitude and look at the whole race with the MANY positives in your favor. 

You were racing!

You learned a lot!

You finished!

GREAT JOB!!

2005-06-13 10:23 AM

User image

T1
Thanks for all your great words of encouragement! The more I think about the race, the more I learned from it and enjoyed it. I was not supposed to hit an Olympic til next month per my training program, but I got a little impatient. The good news is, I am excited to hit the ground running again with my training!!

2005-06-13 10:23 AM

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: Atta girl!
Tough race -- way to gut it out. It is tough to race a week after you have something so draining as food poisoning so I am impressed you even started. Now that you have all of that out of the way, I bet you are pumped and ready to go for it at Echo! I am excited to see what you can do when you are healthy.

Mike
2005-06-13 11:15 AM

User image

Salt Lake City
Well you survived it! I am impressed. You are right on with re-thinking your race in your mind, the more you analyze it, the more you will realize that just tweaking some of the things that you have already identify will have significant impact on reducing your times in future races. You did more than I can do, so kudos to you and your successful race. You overcame some mental adversity and prevailed. Now, you are going to be that much stronger in the next race. What out, V is on the move!
2005-06-13 2:02 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hey Victoria,
Great job finishing the race. It sounds like you really surprised yourself on the run. It also sounds like you learned alot at this race so keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to reading your race report in a month.

Jen
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Original Spudman Rss Feed