General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Family Spectators at your Race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-01-28 4:02 AM

Regular
Subject: Family Spectators at your Race?

A lot of family and friends are really excited about me competing in my first (sprint) tri this summer.  I know for sure that at least 11 family members will be there and the possibility of a large group of friends.  I'm OVERWHELMED at the idea that so many people want to support me...near tears, really...but this has been a hard year for me and for those closest to me and I know that all they want is to see me do well and achieve a goal I've worked so hard for and I love them all so much for that. 

So...what do you "do" with your spectators while you race?  I know that at least my family will want to be there to see me start the race in the lake and at the transitions...I guess I just feel bad that they will be sitting out in the heat while I'm racing for 2-3 hours.  I was thinking of packing a picnic lunch for them and bringing chairs and drinks...the race's starting & transition points are in a very nice park, so the kids shouldn't get too bored.  Any ideas to keep them from being bored?

Also...is this a dorky idea...my sister in law is supposed to do the race with me so I thought about having some t-shirts made up for me and her and the whole family...is that way too dorky?

Thanks for the input!

2010-01-28 4:28 AM
in reply to: #2639144

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Family Spectators at your Race?
Could you get them to volunteer?
2010-01-28 5:09 AM

User image

Master
You'll have plenty to worry about taking care of your own self on race day. They'll have a park and a race to keep them entertained. Your focus should be on yourself. They should be packing a picnic for you for after the race.
2010-01-28 5:47 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

I did my first sprint last year.  My parents, husband, and our oldest son (not quite 3 then) were there.  I did not worry about them.  They hung out and had a good time watching everything going on.  They were down on the beach for the swim and then hung out by the transition area.  My son ran around and played.  My mom loved just sitting there watching everyone else. 

2010-01-28 6:23 AM
in reply to: #2639154

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
monkeyboy64 - 2010-01-28 6:09 AM You'll have plenty to worry about taking care of your own self on race day. They'll have a park and a race to keep them entertained. Your focus should be on yourself. They should be packing a picnic for you for after the race.

x2

This is one of the reasons I did not take my husband and 2 kids to my first triathlon. I had to concentrate on what I had to do, I didn't need to worry about them and that's what it would have turned out to be.

Let them know what is there, and then they can bring their own chairs, food, whatever. This is YOUR day! Take care of YOU!!!
2010-01-28 6:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
monkeyboy64 - 2010-01-28 6:09 AM You'll have plenty to worry about taking care of your own self on race day. They'll have a park and a race to keep them entertained. Your focus should be on yourself. They should be packing a picnic for you for after the race.

Mostly yes.

Here is what I do typically:  I'll have an idea of the course and guess what the best viewing points would be to see me the most (and me to see them).  I also tell them my expected times that I should be by those points.  And, I tell them what side of the road I am going to be on.  And then I tell them where I am going to finish and try to meet them.  About an hour before the race starts is "my time" 

My spectator is usually just my wife, so we manage to get through this.  If you're going to have multiple people come, pick someone to be the wrangler so you have one less worry.

2010-01-28 6:57 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul
You have enough to worry about, so don't worry about packing them a lunch.. They can take care of themselves. I know you really appreciate the support, but it will just stress you out of you are too concerned with keeping them entertained. I'm sure none of them wan to add any stress to you day.

If you are really concerned, maybe pick one family member or friend and ask them ahead of time if they would help out. Well before the race, tell them that it’s all a little overwhelming and the biggest thing that they could do to help would be to coordinate everybody, so that you don’t have to worry about it. There’s probably one type-A person in the group that would be good at it.
2010-01-28 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2639224

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Nathanm74 - 2010-01-28 6:57 AM

If you are really concerned, maybe pick one family member or friend and ask them ahead of time if they would help out. Well before the race, tell them that it’s all a little overwhelming and the biggest thing that they could do to help would be to coordinate everybody, so that you don’t have to worry about it. There’s probably one type-A person in the group that would be good at it.

This is a great idea.

All these people want to be there to support you. They are there for you and are not expecting you do take care of them on race day.

Another good idea is if you know the course at all, or are going the day before hand to pick up your packet and hear the course talk, take your spectator coordinator with you so they know what is going on as well.

Any time I go to a new venue my wife goes with me the day before hand and we figure out meeting places. I generally know what my approximate times are and give them to her as well.

2010-01-28 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
Portland
Having family there is great motivation to race your best! It is truly wonderful to have a support group like this. One thing to keep in mind, like everyone else said, you'll have a lot to focus on that day. Some friends of mine were at my first sprint and they had pictures of me racing, but I don't even remember seeing them! You'll be so focused on your race that you will most likely miss them. I would suggest telling them to hang out at the transitions, especially near the exits, that's when you'll be moving slowest and really hear them! Have fun and good luck!!!
2010-01-28 7:39 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
I think you are very lucky to have family and friends who support you! My hubby and 4 kids have come to all my races! BUT we plan ahead. Yes we pack snacks and lunches for all of us...the day before the race. The kids all have their backpacks with stuff for them to do. I agree that race day is for you....but I am also a firm believer in that I wouldn't be able to do my race if it weren't for my hubby so I am sure to thank him often!  He is my sherpa on race day. He picks up my flip flops when I drop them before the water, he is there to grab anything I leave behind because my mind is on the race.  During the race they are the reason I keep pushing...expecially if I have told them a rough time of where I will be...need to get there! It is the best to here your name called out by friends and family! With that I think it is a great idea to get matching shirts...people do that often. Be sure to pick out a bright color so family can spot you...or you can spot them in a crowd.  Remember this is FUN! Have a great time!
2010-01-28 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York
Yes the shirt idea is great and lots of people do that--make it your favorite color, or something really bright so you will be sure to see it! Have fun and congratulations on doing your first tri!

2010-01-28 8:12 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
I think this is fabulous!  I have 5 kids so plenty of cheerleaders but my family (mom, dad, sibs) have never seen me race.

Ok, I'd explain to them what to expect - it will be hot - you will only see me start, transitions and finish.  Let them know to bring chairs and snacks as beverages - a cooler is a great idea but this is not yours or your SILs job, you are not the hostess, you are racing and the last thing you'll need the night before your first race is worrying about whether everyone else will be taken care of.

They will be fine, they are adults and can take care of themselves.

Also, I think shirts for the family is wonderful - pick a color easy to find so if they spread out along the course it will be easy to see them - orange, yellow or red is great!  I wouldn't do matching tees for you and SIL only becuase you will be too hot in them and tees are difficult to wear while sweating.  If you can find a great tri top or wicking tank you both plan on wearing that matches that will make it easy for your family.  However, it could be something as simple as both of you wearing the same color visor.

I did my first sprint last May - this is going to be awesome for you, have a great time!
2010-01-28 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
x3 what everyone else said.

Write out the course or provide a map.
Write down your expected time ranges. (Earliest possible and latest)

It can be exhausting looking at everybody coming in, trying to pick out one person.

Make sure they know what you are wearing for each section.
2010-01-28 8:53 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Good ideas here.
Items I always encourage my spectators to bring - at the very least - are camp chairs, sunscreen, and water. Food, iPod, camera, a book, and a pillow if the race is longer than an Olympic.

Some of my friends before have brought a football, frisbees, and a case of beer. But the beer might not go over well with the kids

I also like the idea of getting them to volunteer if they are up for it. A great way to be involved and still be able to see you...

2010-01-28 8:56 AM

Agree with the previous posts. For me, one of the most important things is to make sure they understand well in advance that you will probably be pretty distracted (focusing on getting ready etc) before the race, and that it may not be easy for them to watch you for very much of it (more or less, depending on the course). In general, setting realistic expectations goes a long way. My family came to a HIM, and entertained themselves at the beach/park. They packed their own picnic lunch and even brought my baby niece. It was a long day (I'm really slow! ), but they didn't mind because they understood what was going to happen and wanted to be there to support me. It was definitely about me, not them, which I SO appreciated when I was met with hugs and congrats at the finish line!
2010-01-28 9:35 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-01-28 9:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Congrats on your first race! They will also have each other to talk to too and other competitors to watch. That you're so concerned about their welfare on your big day shows why there are so many of them coming out to cheer you on.

I hope it all goes well.
2010-01-28 9:53 AM

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

The larger group should make it easier because they are all hanging out together and having there own fun in between glimpses of you. My wife has trouble with our 2 small kids sometimes, but it goes much smoother with a second adult. Having a crowd is even better.

Yes the shirts are dorky, but who cares, it's fun. My family wears yellow and carrys yellow pom poms.

2010-01-28 10:14 AM

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC

I agree.  Let them worry about themselves.  Let them cater to you.

Train-Race-Enjoy

Kevin
2010-01-28 10:29 AM

Expert
Chenequa WI
Lots of good advice in the previous posts. Here's some things that my wife and I have done for family as well:

Mark off on the map the best places to watch.  Usually this includes:

Swim start
Water exit into T1
The top of any steep hill on the bike course (especially if you're going to hit it twice
Run exit from T2 and, of course...
The finish

Be carefull if there will be any young children that they don't run accidentally onto the course.

I 2nd the idea of listing off your estimated S/B/R times.

Remember that its your race so try not to worry about them.  They want you to be focussed and doing your best.

2010-01-28 12:01 PM

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

Sorry for being short on my last response.

Bright colored shirts are a good way to help you find your family in the crowd.  My wife wears a red or pink hat so that I can see her taking pictures when I stumble, walk, jog, run or bike by her.

My first race I had people from the office with kids & family members at the race. In fact my brother from CA is planning to attend the race again this year.  Good time will be had by all.  Maybe you will motivate others to get off the couch and race.

One thing.  If you need to get away from your family so you can get in the mood & ready to race just go into the transition area.  Family's or non-racers are not normally allowed in the transition area.

Kevin 

2010-01-28 6:51 PM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You owe them an outline of what to expect for the day so they know to bring sunscreen and when they might have time to get some food if they don't bring it. 

You owe them your appreciation before, during, and after the race. 

I'll help them put together lawn chairs, a cooler, other things to do. 
I'll try to let them know when to expect me to pass certain points.
I'll try to let them know what I'll be wearing. 

I'll try to introduce them to other spectators I might know. 

Some racers like to focus entirely on the race and race preparations.  That's fine, shed the other arrangements.  I find it nice to have that little distraction to help them get their gear collected and settle in.  In fact, I spent the evening before my Ironman writing some thank you notes to people who helped me get ready for the race.  That was a far better way to spend the evening than obsessing over whether I'd packed 5 gels or 6 and did I need to put the extra shoelaces in my special needs bag and otherwise driving myself crazy and my family homicidal. 

2010-01-28 8:48 PM

Champion
Butler

Definatley worry about yourself.  Like others have mentioned make sure they know what to expect - You will be getting there extremely early, it will be hot and they will be sitting around and see you race for a total of 30 seconds.

I remember reading a thread like this awhile ago and one guy mentioned a comment his kid made.  It was too the effect that he had waited around all day to watch him put on his socks.

My point is there is not alot to do other than to cheer you and other racers on.

2010-01-28 8:59 PM

Master
STL
Bribery of post race food usually sits well with my kiddos.
2010-01-29 9:07 PM

Regular

Thanks for the ideas y'all.  I think the fam will just hang out all day and watch and wait.  Luckily my parents will be staying with me, so we will probably pack plenty of food and drinks the night before.  I do have a great bunch of helpers...I'm glad they will be there.  My completing the tri will be as much a tribute to them as it will be to my training.  And bonus...they can shield me if the estranged ex happens to make an appearance...which I'm sure won't happen! I'm excited for race day! Like really really extra double mongo excited!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Family Spectators at your Race? Rss Feed  

of 2