General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Altitude and performance - Lake Tahoe Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-17 11:58 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: Altitude and performance - Lake Tahoe Tri
So I'm looking for a late season tri, thinking I might even want to push out of my sprint "comfort zone" into an Oly - and I find the Lake Tahoe Triathlon (www.laketahoetriathlon.com). It is September 17, which is just one day past my 45th birthday, and we just happen to have a house rented in Tahoe for that weekend. Now, the big question - I've not done an Oly before, but I've done all the lengths individually. I do not believe training up to this event will be a real problem, except for the altitude wild card. I live and train at about 230 above sea level, and Tahoe must be around 6,000 foot elevation. Anyone have any experiance with how altitude affects your performance?Second question, the website builds the bike route up as having pretty significant hills to climb. Does anyone have any experiance riding the Kings Beach area, specifically up 267 over Brockway Summit.Dennis

2005-06-18 12:13 AM
in reply to: #177655

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: Altitude and performance - Lake Tahoe Tri
don't have any word about tahoe's race, but the elevation thing. I can attest to.. I train around the same elevation, and went to a race last year that was 4500 feet... BIG DIF. Try and get there a couple days early and go on some LIGHT workouts.... you will find that you are breathing like a fish for a little bit. Not to worry.. just go out and do the best you can do... and ENJOY the scenary of TAHOE!
2005-06-18 12:26 AM

Houston, TX
If possible get to elevation 2 days before you compete. (I just read up on acclimatization for my class so I feel really smart). Also, I'm not a doctor, don't bet your life on me, there seem to be a couple doctors who lurk around here, hopefully they will post.

6000 ft is not terribly high, but it looks like blood becomes a little more basic which in turn makes it harder for oxygen to diffuse from capillaries to tissue cells. It says after a week acclimatization is complete, but this was written for 3500 m+, so I think 6000 feet won't take as long.

I'd maybe consider eating a small spoonful of baking soda a day before your race. Sodium Bicarbonate is the same stuff your body uses to buffer it's pH, (which will theoretically also help increase your lactic acid threshhold). My other *idea* is to take a couple aspirin the night before you race to help thin your blood. But again, I'm talking out my ass, hopefully one of the doctors will post. However in my defense, I have eaten baking soda and aspirin both (not at the same time) and i'm still alive. So, do as you will.

2005-06-18 12:51 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

The site says 2250 total elevation gain, which would be split up into 1125' of climbing on the way out (up Brockman's summit) and 1125' on the way back.

From the info on the website, it looks like the coming back climb is harder. 

I'd say, if you want to do this, start practicing on a hill climb that has about a 1000 foot elevation gain.  That way, you'll know what you're in for. 

I've been up in that area, both at King's Beach, around 267 and the Northstar area.  However, Brockman's Summit is not ringing any bells, so I can't give you any info on that road, but generally that area is totally gorgeous and it would be a great scenic triathlon.

2005-06-18 11:23 AM
in reply to: #177656

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
swbkrun - 2005-06-17 9:13 PMdon't have any word about tahoe's race, but the elevation thing. I can attest to.. I train around the same elevation, and went to a race last year that was 4500 feet... BIG DIF. Try and get there a couple days early and go on some LIGHT workouts.... you will find that you are breathing like a fish for a little bit. Not to worry.. just go out and do the best you can do... and ENJOY the scenary of TAHOE!
So, by "BIG DIF" - can you quantify that? Where was the biggest problem - or was it all three events. Would you say it slowed you down 10%? 5%?Sorry bout all the questions, but I'm a very detail orientated guy - and I'm trying to make sure I factor in all the issues on this race.
2005-06-18 4:36 PM
in reply to: #177737

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

So, by "BIG DIF" - can you quantify that? Where was the biggest problem - or was it all three events. Would you say it slowed you down 10%? 5%?Sorry bout all the questions, but I'm a very detail orientated guy - and I'm trying to make sure I factor in all the issues on this race.

I'd say you're looking at around 10-15%.  You probably will not be able to hammer, as your heart will feel like it's going to beat it's way right out of your chest.  You will feel winded faster.  It is really good to get there a couple of days early and do some light workouts to see how you feel and how your performance will be.

2005-06-18 5:22 PM
in reply to: #177847

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Thanks Shellee,I think my best best is to try to get up that direction about a month or so before the race - and at least do the bike and a little cool water swimming so that I know what to expect. My main concern is to not "blow up" half-way through the ride, and have one of those dismal, everyone's waiting for you to finish - finish.Oh darn - another trip to Tahoe - I hate this sport!!!!
2005-06-18 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky

I would encourage you to spend as much time in Tahoe as you can before the race. A few years ago, I moved from Kentucky (1000 ft) to Denver (5280 ft) it took me about 2 weeks before I was able to exercise strenuously w/o getting short of breath. I don;t man to discourage you, just be careful not to push too hard.

Good Luck.

2005-06-19 11:07 AM

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I live at 6,892 feet and when I go down to sea level I can swim forever, I have no trouble breathing at all. On the run I can push a lot harder and work my muscles. Of course, after being down low for a week and I come home, I am sucking wind. You are gonna feel like you do when you have not been working out much, really short on breath and slightly uncoordinated.
2005-06-19 1:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
I see your location is Durham, CA. Do you have anything within a 1 or 2 hour drive that get's you closer to that elevation to do a couple sample workouts?
I'm at 5300, and when I go down to sea level it feels great. When I go up to 10 - 14,000 I can really feel the elevation gain. Feels like my heart is going to pound out of my chest. Also with the lack of oxygen you may get an altitude headache. Just FYI.
2005-06-19 1:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
sorry - duplicate, see above.

Edited by TL2 2005-06-19 1:33 PM

2005-06-19 11:00 PM
in reply to: #178135

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
TL2 - 2005-06-19 10:32 AMI see your location is Durham, CA. Do you have anything within a 1 or 2 hour drive that get's you closer to that elevation to do a couple sample workouts?I'm at 5300, and when I go down to sea level it feels great. When I go up to 10 - 14,000 I can really feel the elevation gain. Feels like my heart is going to pound out of my chest. Also with the lack of oxygen you may get an altitude headache. Just FYI.
I work at an elevation of about 2000 feet everyday - and can do training there. Have lake almanor about an hour away, which is 4500 feet or so. Tahoe is only about 3 hours away, so it is not unthinkable to go up for a weekend bike/swim workout or two.I think this will be a challange, but what the heck, if it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing!!!Dennis
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Altitude and performance - Lake Tahoe Tri Rss Feed