General Discussion Race Reports! » Chatfield Surf & Turf Aquathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chatfield Surf & Turf Aquathon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log
Littleton, CO
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 51m 20s
Overall Rank = 34/53
Age Group = Women
Age Group Rank = 10/21
Pre-race routine:

This race started at 6:15 and is 10 miles from my house. I left at 5:00 thinking that I'd have plenty of time to get there, register, get the wetsuit on and warm up. Well, it took me 50 minutes to get there because of traffic. I was freaking out because I never like getting to races late - it just adds to my stress. I finally get through traffic and get into the park. I didn't think there would be parking in the lot right by the start since I was so late, so I parked farther away and walked. That was stupid because there was still parking at the start. Oh well.
Event warmup:

Well, I guess you could say I warmed up my heart by stressing out in traffic. It was beating pretty good by the time I got there. Then I had to walk to the start with all my stuff, wait in the registration line, register and pay. Found Stacey (Stacers), Mark (markdills38), and Brett (Alpine87) and set up my transition area and put on my wetsuit. Ovetta (infosteward) got there even later than I did! Got in the water
Swim
  • 21m 13s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

The course was WAY short. No way do I swim this fast. But I wasn't complaining. This was my first ever mass swim start and I knew it would be bad, but I don't think anything can really prepare you for your first time. It was like everyone says - like swimming in a washing machine. All the men and women started together and the men definitely swim more aggressively than women. I got a little beat up. Once everyone started spreading out, it got easier. I think I was at the back end of the front group. The first lap was hard because I was kind of freaking out after being beat up at the start. I knew that the second lap would be easier after I'd found my rhythm, so that's what got me through the first lap.
What would you do differently?:

I never found anyone going my speed, so I couldn't really draft, but I need to learn how to do that.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Since this was a manually timed event, I'm not sure what my transition time was. My wetsuit tends to get stuck on my elbows despite the thorough greasing of my arms with Pam and Bodyglide. I was standing on my towel trying to get the wetsuit over my elbows and some spectator dude says "you need an Xterra wetsuit." I'm thinking, "gee thanks. That's NOT helping me right now." Socks and shoes went on fine, but since we went directly from the water to the run, I was quickly squishing around in my shoes.

Um, get an X-terra wetsuit????? Whatever.
Run
  • 30m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

This was just a training race, so I didn't go out very hard. I felt very comfortable and just enjoyed the beautiful scenery and had fun.

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate some food, talked to the BT crew, met Shannon (swgtri) whom I hadn't met before. Realized that the winner of the race, Bucky Schafer, totally reminds me of Christopher Atkins, the blonde guy who played Brooke Shields' brother in Blue Lagoon. Ha ha!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The lack of an Xterra wetsuit??? ;)

Event comments:

Registration was not very organized, they had to delay the race because of late arrivals and the slow registration process. The swim course was obviously not measured correctly. But hey, it's a Wednesday night training series - it's not meant to be perfect. It was fun and I was glad that I went to experience my first OW swim before my first tri on the following Sunday.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:13 | 1500 meters | 01m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/53
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Predator 2 Full
Course: 2 laps of a four buoy square course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Average
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:30:07 | 03.1 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/53
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back dirt trail, one hill, lots of loose, sandy gravel.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-20 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Chatfield Surf & Turf Aquathon

2005-06-20 9:25 AM
in reply to: #178532

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Subject: RE: Chatfield Surf & Turf Aquathon
At first I was going to write " Crap, your one heck of a swimmer". I then read below. It sounded like a good race anyways. Reading your swimming comments got my heart rate going. I have a Tri this weekend.

Good luck at future races,

Randy
2005-06-20 9:47 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Your first time in a mass start is an experience, isn't it!  Good job not psyching yourself out!
2005-06-20 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Glad to see you wrote this up!  Don't expect to beat me again  

Now that you've done 5430, aren't you glad you had a practice race?  I can't imagine how I would have felt if 5430 were my first OW race swim! 

Hope to see you at the next one!

2005-06-20 2:05 PM
in reply to: #178587

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Blacktoe - 2005-06-20 7:25 AM At first I was going to write " Crap, your one heck of a swimmer". I then read below.

Even with the course being short, you're one heck of a swimmer.  I just looked at the official results and you beat me, Brett, and Mark out of the water by a minute and a half!! Nice

2005-06-20 7:19 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

Great swim speedy.  Maybe you should wear a speedo instead of an Xterra! HA  Nice pic of the crew!  I think you did awesome!

2005-07-01 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Great job Stacie! I think it's great that you got to do at least part of a triathlon in a "practice" setting before your first big event. Good job.

-Frank
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chatfield Surf & Turf Aquathon Rss Feed